Ruins: Private tours or royal cruise

snoopycr

We're a group 3. which is the better deal and overall experience for of the ruins. Private tour or with a large royal group 

Our 1st time in Costa maya. Is it better to do the tours or hang out at the beach? 

All comments and suggestions welcome. 

For a tour to the ruins, I would go with Royal as that is a very long tour with too many possibilities for issues (tire blow out, traffic, bathroom delays, etc). If you are delayed with a Royal tour the boat waits for you. If you are delayed on your own private tour you are SOL as the boat does not wait. 

On 3/23/2022 at 11:54 AM, snoopycr said:

We're a group 3. which is the better deal and overall experience for of the ruins. Private tour or with a large royal group 

Our 1st time in Costa maya. Is it better to do the tours or hang out at the beach? 

I was just there this week. We went with Native’s Choice (just Google). We had a fairly quick port stop and they were very conscientious of our all aboard time, made sure to modify things as needed without ruining experience , etc. My wife is a nervous Nellie and was very reassured by how well they handled everything. She was comfortable which is saying something. We were even back earlier than promised, plus I love that they’re a local company and I think their guides are too notch. And the groups tend to be smaller even if you done do private tour. Our guide Edder and driver Miguel were amazing! We’ve used one time before, experience was amazing both times. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Usually we always take private tours but in the case of Chacchoben ruins my husband insisted on taking a ship tour since it involved an hour bus ride from the port. Our bus had only vaccinated folks, those who weren't (small children etc) were not allowed on the bus. This was in November and at the time the fee was only $65 per person, which we felt was very reasonable.  Really enjoyed the ruins. 

On 3/23/2022 at 12:54 PM, snoopycr said:

I’ve been a few times. Beach is just ok and they hound you every step down the boardwalk to get a massage. A polite no thank you did the trick but it started to bother me after the tenth time or so. Last week I wished I didn’t beach it but rather took a tour. I love a pretty beach and found it mediocre.  Next time, I’ll take a tour.