Fare Has Gone Down -- No Credit for Difference?

claud925

I was always of a mind that if/when prices go down for the same itinerary and the exact fare-class code, the airline would refund you the difference.

I recently learned that my fare has come down by $100. When I called the airline to obtain the difference in a credit to my charge account, they said they would have to charge me a $100 "change fee", thereby effectively nulifying any money I would have gotten back.

Is this the way it's always been, or is this a new policy with the airlines?

First, What airline?

Second, was the cheaper fare a special or internet only fare for a limited time?

Third, I have never heard of an airline giving you credit back to your credit card. Voucher, yes. Credit given, which essentially would change the fare basis, not just the fare class, would generally result in reticketing.

Most airlines charge this change fee - often negating the savings. I think I read somewhere that Southwest doesn't. Nevertheless, I still watch my booked trips and if a fare comes down enough to warrant the fee (it's only $50 on Alaska, which is a bit better), then I call for the credit voucher. But I fly enough that I know it would get used, too.

And no, they won't credit you automatically - you have to watch, and call.

Most airlines charge this change fee - often negating the savings. I think I read somewhere that Southwest doesn't. Nevertheless, I still watch my booked trips and if a fare comes down enough to warrant the fee (it's only $50 on Alaska, which is a bit better), then I call for the credit voucher. But I fly enough that I know it would get used, too.

I just got a voucher about 5 months ago from Alaska Air for a price drop... they didn't charge a change fee at all....

I was able to use the voucher for my trip in a couple of weeks. :)

Is this the way it's always been, or is this a new policy with the airlines?
I think the requirement for payment of a change fee before any further credit is given has come in during the last couple of years, and not for all airlines. Hopefully it's beginning to put an end to the madness of the refund policy.

Archived