Traveling with my trans and pan (adult) children - advice on lines and/or locations?

jenn117

Hello! I'm looking to take both my children on a cruise as master's and bachelor's graduation presents.

I haven't traveled with my oldest since they've transitioned and they (justifiably) have some concerns. I've traveled mostly on NCL and Celebrity and would like to continue with those lines (have NCL credits to use) but would totally look at another line if heavily recommended by the LGBTQIA+ community. 
Any countries - primarily in the Caribbean area -  that you would recommend we avoid?
I'm looking at an NCL Joy cruise from NYC to Bermuda in May currently.

Thanks in advance for helping this Free Mom Hug-ger out!

• 2 weeks later...

In general, you shouldn't have any problems overall in travel throughout the Caribbean. Yes, culturally it is fairly conservative with places that have harsh views on LGBTQIA+ identities and behaviors. And there are some locations that are more tolerant, yet, they even include communities that are intolerant. Specifically about Bermuda, I haven't travelled there so I can't comment personally as a cis gay man that travels with my cis partner. However, I think you would be alright within a cruise-organized excursion group - that goes for any place. My partner and I have visited Jamaica, Mexico, Grand Cayman, Grand Turk, Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten & St. Martin, St. Thomas, Dominican Republic, and the Bahamas - some places multiple times. And we have never had any concerns for our safety whether out on our own or in a tour group. I think it's pretty obvious we are a couple, though we don't really do PDA besides arms around each other for some photos, but then again we also get asked if we're brothers... 

I hope this doesn't come off as insensitive, but maybe this could help clarify for other folks to provide advice... Is the concern for your child that has transitioned that they wouldn't "pass" as a certain gender? There may be specific places to avoid if that's the concern, but I do not know, others may for that.