Imputed speed of a Ponant sistership

cruising cockroach

Just in case anyone wants to know, here are some calculations of a Ponant sistership (Le Soleal, Le Boreal, Le Lyrial and L'Austral).  Might be important if time is critical at the end of a non-stop repo cruise.

Le Soleal

Approximate distance travelled on aproximate route taken (Honolulu - Maizuru): 7,144 km , 3,858 NM.

Time elapsed: 11 x 24 hrs + 9 hrs 1st day + 16 hrs last - 19 hrs time change = 280 hrs

Average speed = 25 Km/h or 13.8 knots

Le Lyrial

Great circle distance between airports (LIS-USH - GCroute is entirely overwater except Lisbon and Ushuaia): 11,800 km,  6,372 NM

Time scheduled: 25 x 24 hrs + 12 hrs 1st day + 12 hrs last day + 3 hours time change = 627 hrs

Average scheduled speed:  18.8 Km/h or 10.2 knots

Might not seem important but the 1st calculation was on an actual voyage I travelled on.  Ship was scheduled to leave Honolulu at noon but departed 3 hrs later or whatever reason (the change was scheduled a day or to ahead).  Due to bad weather between the western end of the Hawaiian island chain (French Frigate shoals) and the Strait of Hokkaido, the ship had to go on a more westerly course for several days and I actually thought it would be getting to Maizuru via the southern end of Honshu.  Around day 7 or 8, the ship changed course for the Strait of Hokkaido.  No information from the crew until 3-4 days prior to scheduled arrival (so that people could rearrange onward transport).  Thankfully internet usage is unlimited and free for all, and reasonably fast for 70 pax + ~130-140 crew.  Arrived into the port at 1600 instead of the scheduled 0800.  I actually had calculated arrival time given the ship's speed and course since Honolulu (had a GPS connected to my computer and was recording the voyage in parts).  Several passengers missed their connecting flights from Osaka and we actually had to pony up for cruise-arranged transportation to Kyoto (not cheap, given it was ~20 pax in a 50-60 pax bus) as we weren't sure about getting the last train to Kyoto.  The captain even missed his flight home, and the Maizuru (and its "cruise terminal") isn't exactly a great place to hang around waiting for your ship to arrive.

Second voyage, which is assuming a more-leisurely pace, is one I am thinking of booking,  Passes through the Canary and Cape Verde chains so hoping for scenic cruising or maybe even impromptu landings.