Tuxedo Rental????

I've noticed a few people mentioning tuxedo's for their kids. Is this really necessary? My son is 8, and all I was thinking was dress pants with a shirt and tie. Are the formal nights really really formal?

No need-what you have planned is fine!

My 6yo really likes to wear a "big guy tie" etc so he's looking forward to dressing like " dad & grampy" at dinner!:D

Our children did not do tuxes. My boys are 6 and 8 and Gene-Gene had a suit (he insisted) with a red shirt and tie. That was in October, he just put it on and it's too small!! Steven had a pair of dark pants and a blue shirt with a clip on tie. They both looked great and people gave them compliments. I saw no children in tuxes and not a lot of men (although my Gene had a tux and looked adorable).

Is this really necessary?
But, if you want to see some heads turn, well, just look at our son. We bought it last summer for his dance recital (only $40, I think), and it carried over very well for the cruise. He loved wearing it on formal nights.

855176882_luketux.JPG.d057906d26c1ff681e48a3461012e5e7.JPG

But, if you want to see some heads turn, well, just look at our son. We bought it last summer for his dance recital (only $40, I think), and it carried over very well for the cruise. He loved wearing it on formal nights.

Your son looks very cute!!!:) Thanks for the info

Here's my take:

If your kid actually owns a tux, sure, take it...

If your kid owns a jacket and tie that you normally dress him in to go to church or synagogue or to a wedding or other dress affair, pack that...

I would dress the kid in at least a sports jacket, dress shirt, etc.--I wouldn't take him to formal night dinners in T-shirts and jeans...

The reason to RENT a tuxedo is the same reasons I'd rent one as an adult...'

Say you are on a Europe cruise, your luggage is limited and you don't want to schlep your dress clothes all over Europe in a suitcase...and cost is not really an issue with you...THEN, rent...and rent for your kid...It saves luggage space and won't mess up a suit...

BUT, if luggage space is not an issue, but cost is...don't rent...

Although it may be really cute, no one expects 8 year old kids to be wearing tuxes...

OTOH, my daughters (who we started taking on cruises at 3 and 5) ALWAYS loved dressing up to the extreme for cruise formal nights...I think it's a "girl thing"...

Our children did not do tuxes. My boys are 6 and 8 and Gene-Gene had a suit (he insisted) with a red shirt and tie. That was in October, he just put it on and it's too small!! Steven had a pair of dark pants and a blue shirt with a clip on tie. They both looked great and people gave them compliments. I saw no children in tuxes and not a lot of men (although my Gene had a tux and looked adorable).
It seems every cruise I go on there are less tuxes than the one before.

Archived