Tour Recommendation!

jbrinkm

We booked (through Viator) a Sloth/Monkey & Snorkel tour by Roatan Getaway Tours and it was one of the highlights of the whole trip. It started with a strange place to meet (on the side of a road, in a crowded, super sunny/hot space on the sidewalk across from the entrance to the port), and then we had to walk back into a clearly very impoverished neighborhood to get into the van. I'm not complaining - just making people aware. There really isn't another good meeting spot outside of the port.

Once we got going, we could see the beauty of the island. Many hills and very green - our driver gave us some info about the island as we drove. The first stop was AJ's Sanctuary for the sloths (also guinea pigs, birds and capuchin monkeys). That was amazing, especially the monkeys who were hilarious. Then we went snorkeling (French Cay) in extremely clear, warm, shallow water and saw many colorful fish, spiny lobster, conch in their shells, and a giant crab. The snorkeling equipment here was really nice; it didn't fog up or pull my hair like typical gear does. (I wrote to them afterwards to ask what kind it was to get some of my own!) We absolutely loved this experience. Every single person we came in contact with - our driver/guide, the staff at AJ's, the snorkeling guides - was friendly and helpful and the experiences were top notch!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jbrinkm said:

We booked (through Viator) a Sloth/Monkey & Snorkel tour by Roatan Getaway Tours and it was one of the highlights of the whole trip. It started with a strange place to meet (on the side of a road, in a crowded, super sunny/hot space on the sidewalk across from the entrance to the port), and then we had to walk back into a clearly very impoverished neighborhood to get into the van. I'm not complaining - just making people aware. There really isn't another good meeting spot outside of the port.

Once we got going, we could see the beauty of the island. Many hills and very green - our driver gave us some info about the island as we drove. The first stop was AJ's Sanctuary for the sloths (also guinea pigs, birds and capuchin monkeys). That was amazing, especially the monkeys who were hilarious. Then we went snorkeling (French Cay) in extremely clear, warm, shallow water and saw many colorful fish, spiny lobster, conch in their shells, and a giant crab. The snorkeling equipment here was really nice; it didn't fog up or pull my hair like typical gear does. (I wrote to them afterwards to ask what kind it was to get some of my own!) We absolutely loved this experience. Every single person we came in contact with - our driver/guide, the staff at AJ's, the snorkeling guides - was friendly and helpful and the experiences were top notch!

Thanks for update.

Assuming you docked in Coxen Hole.

which resort did you go to in French Cay?

11 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Thanks for update.

Assuming you docked in Coxen Hole.

which resort did you go to in French Cay?

Yes, Coxen Hole (we were on Royal Caribbean). Our departure point for snorkeling was on the mainland where we took a boat out to the snorkeling spot in the French Cay area (Marine Park? not sure where exactly but we didn't travel for long by boat to get there) and it was owned by the tour company - Roatan Getaway Tours (you can see where they are located if you search on a map). It was VERY close to AJ's Sloth Sanctuary. There was no beach but we didn't sign up for beach as part of this tour. They do offer several different types of tours, some with beach, and are responsive (at least through Viator they were) if you contact them with questions.

P.S. they do offer tours from both ports

Edited by jbrinkm
  • Thanks 1