Must do Eastern Caribbean active tours and Miami Restaurants

Techno123

I have bitten the bullet, stocked up on sea sickness meds and booked the Navigator for a pre Christmas eastern Caribbean cruise from Miami. We are booked into the Mandarin Oriental - any recommended restaurants in walking distance?

We like active excursions not coach tours so hiking and cycling, water based etc so can anyone recommend any 'must do' tours? We are stopping at Puerto Plata (Dominican Rep), San Juan (Puerto Rico), Gustavia (St Bart's), Roseau (Dominica), St John's (Antigua) and Philipsburg (St Maarten).

many thanks in advance 😁

2 hours ago, Techno123 said:

I have bitten the bullet, stocked up on sea sickness meds and booked the Navigator for a pre Christmas eastern Caribbean cruise from Miami. We are booked into the Mandarin Oriental - any recommended restaurants in walking distance?

We like active excursions not coach tours so hiking and cycling, water based etc so can anyone recommend any 'must do' tours? We are stopping at Puerto Plata (Dominican Rep), San Juan (Puerto Rico), Gustavia (St Bart's), Roseau (Dominica), St John's (Antigua) and Philipsburg (St Maarten).

many thanks in advance 😁

In St Maarten do the America Cup sailing race.  It is an Azamara excursion...reasonably priced for what you do.  We did this tour on our December 2021 cruise.  My husband and I had a blast.  We were on a high for days.  OBT....no issues with rocky seas but smart to be prepared.  Have fun on your cruise. 

• Like 2

Just now, Travelingwithstyle said:

In St Maarten do the America Cup sailing race.  It is an Azamara excursion...reasonably priced for what you do.  We did this tour on our December 2021 cruise.  My husband and I had a blast.  We were on a high for days.  OBT....no issues with rocky seas but smart to be prepared.  Have fun on your cruise. 

I forgot to add that if Regent doesnt offer the Americas Cup Race, in the past, you can book it on your own through the companies webpage. 

Have fun!!!

Thank you Travelingwithstyle - glad to hear not too rocky as whilst I love cruising, I have suffered from motion sickness since I was a child but just dose myself up. Is it this one? Looks like it is an included tour 😁

Experience the adventurous thrill of America’s Cup head-to-head style racing on a yachting adventure that’s won accolades as Best Shore Excursion in the Caribbean many times over. You’ll tender from the pier out to one of Dennis Conner’s legendary America’s Cup-winning yachts – the Stars & Stripes, Canada II or True North I. Once on board, you’ll receive your safety and racing instructions, be introduced to this precision sailing machine’s operation, then set out on what’s bound to be a peak adventure as you race across the warm aqua waters eking out all possible advantage from the brisk St. Maarten trade winds and rounding the marks from leg to leg. No prior sailing experience is necessary, but if you’d like to be a part of the action, you’re cordially invited to do so. Help grind a winch, trim a mainsail, punch a stopwatch – or just sit back with some refreshments and enjoy this amazing ride. Once the race is run, join in a complimentary victory rum punch party while browsing through the 12 Metre complex’s souvenir boutique before being tendered back to the pier.
·Experience a true race on an America’s Cup course, aboard an agile 12 Metre Class sailing yacht.
·Sit back and observe the action, or join the crew and be assigned a sailor’s task during the race.
·Before setting sail, meet the professional skipper and crew and get your orientation briefing.
·Feel the thrill of rounding the markers aboard a majestic vessel designed to extract every ounce of power from the St Maarten trade winds.

Edited by Techno123

Although we don't suffer from sea sickness, I don't think you'd have a problem with it. You'll be too busy to even think about being sick! The tour providers take racing very seriously. Bragging rights, I suppose...haha! We've done this one several times and it's always so much fun! Closest we'll ever get to being on a racing 12 meter.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

Are you on the 12/10/22 cruise?

Yes we are HotRoot - booked yesterday and our flight leaves the UK on the 11th December (I get a bit confused with your number dates as you do month first and we do date first 😂😂) it was a decision between a walking holiday on Madeira in September or a Caribbean cruise 😜

Edited by Techno123

3 hours ago, Techno123 said:

Thank you Travelingwithstyle - glad to hear not too rocky as whilst I love cruising, I have suffered from motion sickness since I was a child but just dose myself up. Is it this one? Looks like it is an included tour 😁

Experience the adventurous thrill of America’s Cup head-to-head style racing on a yachting adventure that’s won accolades as Best Shore Excursion in the Caribbean many times over. You’ll tender from the pier out to one of Dennis Conner’s legendary America’s Cup-winning yachts – the Stars & Stripes, Canada II or True North I. Once on board, you’ll receive your safety and racing instructions, be introduced to this precision sailing machine’s operation, then set out on what’s bound to be a peak adventure as you race across the warm aqua waters eking out all possible advantage from the brisk St. Maarten trade winds and rounding the marks from leg to leg. No prior sailing experience is necessary, but if you’d like to be a part of the action, you’re cordially invited to do so. Help grind a winch, trim a mainsail, punch a stopwatch – or just sit back with some refreshments and enjoy this amazing ride. Once the race is run, join in a complimentary victory rum punch party while browsing through the 12 Metre complex’s souvenir boutique before being tendered back to the pier.
·Experience a true race on an America’s Cup course, aboard an agile 12 Metre Class sailing yacht.
·Sit back and observe the action, or join the crew and be assigned a sailor’s task during the race.
·Before setting sail, meet the professional skipper and crew and get your orientation briefing.
·Feel the thrill of rounding the markers aboard a majestic vessel designed to extract every ounce of power from the St Maarten trade winds.

Yes this is the excursion and I would recommend you participate since you are active.  It is so much fun!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Camillus112 said:

If you have the time while in San Juan, I recommend a hiking tour to the waterfalls of the El Yunque Rainforest.  Beautiful!!

Thank you Camillus112 - that is definitely one for the pot 😁 Will we need plenty of insect repellant or is it OK?

Well techno, since I was once a local, insects recognize me and leave me alone.  Better bring repellent...just in case they don't love you. 😇

Edited by Camillus112
Did not click a letter hard enough!
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, cham04702 said:

I booked the 12/12/22 cruise last week.  I'm glad I ran across this forum. It will help me make some decisions.

Have you joined the roll call yet that snack daddy started? Hopefully we can share ideas on there too 😁 

• Like 1