Saving money

On a cruise, is it possible to only spend money on drinks, tips and souveniers? Are most of the onboard activities free on cost some money(with exceptions of Bingo and Gambling) I normally go all inclusive to mexico and only have to pay for transportations and tips!

Sure it's possible, if you have will power. We've been on enough cruises that souvineers aren't an issue, we seldom buy much anymore, and we don't drink, so we mainly spend money on tips, excursions and photos. (My biggest downfall.) You might also budget some money if you plan on eating ashore.

It's very possible to cruise without breaking the bank! I always have a tiny Sail & Sign balance, as opposed to so many who have huge accounts. I take my own Cokes on board, as well as a coupla bottles of wine for my cabin. I usually buy a bottle or two of wine in the dining room, and have 1-2 drinks-of-the-day each day. I buy only one 5x7 photo, and that's my souvenier. I do buy a few things in each port to take home to family/friends. But - all in all, I cruise relatively inexpensively. I don't deprive myself of anything, but I do try to stay within a reasonable budget. It CAN be done.:)

I'm like you and came from a 15 yr. all inclusive mind. I've been on 12 cruises in the past 5 years and YES! you can have a wonderful time cruising without an extreme bill at the end. Of course you know all about tips etc, so for the extra's we usually find our own excursions if there is sometime we really want to do or see. Much cheaper! If not then we usually just walk around the city or town we're in and enjoy the people, shops, have a drink and maybe a snack. We usually take a bit of wine to enjoy in the room before dinner and have a drink or 2 in one of the lounges. We don't buy their pictures and I'm not one for buying gifts for everyone back home!! Although I like to gamble I just gamble what I've set aside for that purpose and enjoy the rest of the cruise once it's gone!! Hope this helps.

I think we've all forgotten the part of your question about on-board activities. Most, except for the obvious like gambling, bingo or art auctions, are free. Some fitness classes have an extra charge, such as spinning or pilates, but most are free, as is use of the exercise room. The spa services, massages & such are expensive but you can use the sauna showers, etc. free. All the shows, dances, entertainers, ship board games, such as the newlywed-not so newly wed game, and parties are included. Some ships have classes in various things, such as ceramics that are pay; there are usually some free activities, classes or sometimes lectures like these too. Using the internet is not free. You can check your daily newsletter for available activities and their costs. I know I'm forgetting a lot, but you get the idea.

On my last cruise by onboard account was zero. It was tough but we didn't feel deprived. Because we've cruised before we booked our own independent excursions or just did fun unstructured stuff on our own. If we want to gamble we'll go to Vegas.

You CAN do it! It was like being on a budget diet. Our motivation is that we are cruising again in Sept. Just don't buy a bunch of stupid stuff. I've finally decided that I don't need a dozen "postcard" t-shirts that advertise the ports that I've been to. I have my pictures/videos at home I know where I've been and I don't need a bunch of logo clutter all over the house either. Believe me I learned those two lessons the expensive way!

On my last cruise by onboard account was zero. It was tough but we didn't feel deprived. Because we've cruised before we booked our own independent excursions or just did fun unstructured stuff on our own. If we want to gamble we'll go to Vegas.

You CAN do it! It was like being on a budget diet. Our motivation is that we are cruising again in Sept. Just don't buy a bunch of stupid stuff. I've finally decided that I don't need a dozen "postcard" t-shirts that advertise the ports that I've been to. I have my pictures/videos at home I know where I've been and I don't need a bunch of logo clutter all over the house either. Believe me I learned those two lessons the expensive way!

Its not uncommon for inexperienced cruisers to over-extend themselves on their first couple of cruises. The more experienced cruisers know exactly where to cut corners without disrupting a great time. I agree here with several of the previous posters. There is a tendency to purchase a lot of stuff in which you may question its importance. It does take a budget wise person to understand their spending habits and what is essential to them versus what isn't. You have to know your limitations.

jcruise

We just got off a cruise on the Carribean Princess on 2/18. We had a ship credit of 100.00 which we used for liquer to take home. We spent 18 dollars on the ship plus tips of around 100.00. The biggest cost on the islands were taxi cabs. We do not waste money on shore excursions, or junk sold at tourist traps.

So we spent under 500 including our Ft Lauderdale parking space for 8 days plus the price of the cruise.

This ship has soda cards for 27.50 per person, ice cream for 3.50 and many shops. But ice cream is free with dinner so do not buy it.

Every ship wants to make money and they really get you when you buy a alcholic beverage. All drinks have a 15% gratutity added.

This ship added 10.00 a night for tips but we had them remove this charge as soon as we boarded because we like tipping who we think deserve it instead of the entire ship.

We just got off a cruise on the Carribean Princess on 2/18.

This ship has soda cards for 27.50 per person, ice cream for 3.50 and many shops. But ice cream is free with dinner so do not buy it.

This ship added 10.00 a night for tips but we had them remove this charge as soon as we boarded because we like tipping who we think deserve it instead of the entire ship.

I'd like to add that since Wanda didn't say which cruiseline she'll be sailing with, things are different on each line.

For instance, you mentioned ice cream. Carnival has self-serve machines for ice cream and frozen yogurt 24 hrs. a day.

Also, Carnival's automatic tipping system doesn't give tips 'to the entire ship's personnel'.... The $10 per person per day goes directly to:

$5.50 to your dining room waiter & assistant

$3.50 to your cabin steward

$1.00 to Lido dining personnel...:)

I Will Be On The Carnival Ecstasy (galveston). So Will You Be Able To Tell Them As Soon As You Board To Delete The Automatic Tipping Off And You Will Pay Cash? Don T Get Me Wrong, I Beleive In Tipping, I Am Just As You Said. I Want To Tip The People That Really Deserve It. By The Way, If Ice Cream Is Available 24 Hrs A Day. I Will Gain 20 Pounds.:) I Might Have To Just Tag Along Some Root Beer With My Carry On. Root Beer Float Sounds Good To Me!! Any One Want To Join!!

I Will Be On The Carnival Ecstasy (galveston). So Will You Be Able To Tell Them As Soon As You Board To Delete The Automatic Tipping Off And You Will Pay Cash? Don T Get Me Wrong, I Beleive In Tipping, I Am Just As You Said. I Want To Tip The People That Really Deserve It. By The Way, If Ice Cream Is Available 24 Hrs A Day. I Will Gain 20 Pounds.:) I Might Have To Just Tag Along Some Root Beer With My Carry On. Root Beer Float Sounds Good To Me!! Any One Want To Join!!

Certainly Wanda...you just have to request that the automatic tips be omitted from your sail & Sign account through the purser's desk when you board.

jcruise

I Might Have To Just Tag Along Some Root Beer With My Carry On. Root Beer Float Sounds Good To Me!! Any One Want To Join!!
Some may laugh but I did exactly that on our last cruise. We had our own Meet & Greet and I brought bottles of root beer so the kids could make root beer floats. They loved it.

One thing to remember is that tips are generally pooled and then split between the dining room and cabin staff, so removing the auto-tipping and then tipping in cash to the people you believe deserve it, probably isn't changing anything.

If auto-tips are removed and then cash is given, the cash must be turned into the tip pool.

If you leave auto-tips in place and then give cash above and beyond, it is my understanding that the recipients get to keep the cash.

T

One thing to remember is that tips are generally pooled and then split between the dining room and cabin staff, so removing the auto-tipping and then tipping in cash to the people you believe deserve it, probably isn't changing anything.

If auto-tips are removed and then cash is given, the cash must be turned into the tip pool.

If you leave auto-tips in place and then give cash above and beyond, it is my understanding that the recipients get to keep the cash.

T

this is false information and repeated many times by numerous people on the boards. The people that the tip is intended will go directly to that person.. ex-- 3.50 pp for your waiter-- the person that was your waiter will get that 3.50 from you. same witht he cabin steward. he gets the direct amount.

(he also has helpers that he pays from that 3.50-)

But what about the people then indirectly have served you..example the lido deck-- people putting out the food, filling plates. cleaning the tables... filling that ice cream machine are numerous jobs that are tipped with the 1.00pp per day fee that you want to take off your account.,

this is false information and repeated many times by numerous people on the boards. The people that the tip is intended will go directly to that person..

We were told by an employee on our last Carnival cruise, that the tips are shared. If you tip a certain area, that entire area must share in the tipping.

Maybe other cruiselines are different and they don't have a tip pool??

We were told by an employee on our last Carnival cruise, that the tips are shared. If you tip a certain area, that entire area must share in the tipping.

Maybe other cruiselines are different and they don't have a tip pool??

Carnival/Royal and Princess do not pool tips with waiters/asst waiters or cabin steward.

What employee did you speak to? Bar waiters MUST push drinks. the automatic tip is pooled with all bar waiters which is determined by the number of drinks you have sold. Another tip is for the workers in the lido buffets-- that tip is pooled among the many workers who work there.

I am sorry that this employee gave you very wrong information.

• 4 weeks later...

One little gal working on RCCL that had jsut left NCL said that NCL pools tips and she didnt like it there, she loved RCCL due to the fact they get the tip we give them and dont pool tips here. Not sure on other lines what is done.

What is all this about so much for tips? My late husband was a German merchant seaman for 27 years and he made very good money. He was on cargo ships so tips were not part of his income. He had a friend who was a seaman on cruise ships and also made good money, but the crew`s cabins on cruise ships were very tiny, so Helmut never wanted to work on cruise ships. Don´t American companies pay these people anything? I don´t mind tipping for good service, but some of the suggested tipping amounts are ridiculous, particularly when I remember how much Helmut made working on the ships.

I hope I enjoy my cruise on the Galaxy (transatlantic 6 May) as much as my cruise on the German container ship in 2001 (transited the Panama Canal and sailed transatlantic to Bremerhaven).

Linda

Archived