Wedding Vow Renewal - what is the ceremony like?

Janevo

My brother-in-law wants to surprise his wife with a wedding vow renewal ceremony to mark their twenty years anniversary. Please can anyone tell us what the ceremony is usually like?

We are booked for an Enchanted Princess cruise, and have chosen a sea day for the ceremony. It looks like their is a wedding chapel in Enchanted Princess, and he has chosen the "Renewal of Vows Package". Can we ask...

*Does the captain usually perform the ceremony?

*Does the captain have you repeat the wedding vows that you would usually say at an actual wedding? If so, do you then say your personal vows to each other afterwards?

*Can you play music at the wedding?

*Does anyone know if there is a piano in the Enchanted Princess wedding chapel?

Thank you for any insight you can give, as we want to make this a very special day for my sister-in-law.

Your bil should contact princess directly to make them aware of what he would like to do. If he looks on Princess's website under weddings tab  it will give him all the wedding ceremony options they offer and a phone number to speak with a representative. From there they will be able to assist him with any questions he may have. 

We're doing a legal wedding next month and  had to pick our ceremony, sign the wedding contract, pay for the wedding in full up front,(this doesn't include the food, cocktail hour, flowers, etc-just the ceremony itself) and then they will give him access to their Dream Wedding Planner. Here he will make all his choices for the ceremony, flowers , music, vows, dining etc from the different drop down tabs. He will then either communicate with the online wedding coordinator by message through the dream planner or personal email.  We were also told once we board the ship there will be an 'in-person' wedding planner to take over and help make things run smoothly for the wedding day. 

Sooner he does it  the better. There's lot's of paperwork and uploading of documents. 

Hope this helps

Thanks runner2013. For a wedding on a cruise there will no doubt be a lot of paperwork, and things to organise. My bil is having a renewal of vows, after twenty years of marriage, nothing so elaborate as you will have. We would just like to know how the ceremony works for the vow renewal, what is said etc.

Hope your wedding all goes well, it should be lovely. 

We did a vow renewal for our 35th (we are now at 52 so quite awhile ago). The actual date was chosen by the ship for when the captain had availability. Ours was on a formal night. On the ship we were contacted by a guest services representative. Our daughter and her family were cruising with us and we made arrangements for our granddaughter to have a bouquet as our flower girl. Our grandson was the ring bearer for a ring I did not know I was getting. My husband arranged with the guest services rep unbeknownst to me. The ceremony was private for our party. The vows were wonderful and referenced our years together. We were given a copy of the vows after the ceremony. We also had a photo or two included in our package and chose a few others, especially of our grandson in the captain's hat and our granddaughter wearing the same dress our original flower girl had worn. I have lots of wonderful memories of the ceremony. There may have been music but I don't remember. 

Edited by katisdale
spelling
  • Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 12:06 PM, Janevo said:

My brother-in-law wants to surprise his wife with a wedding vow renewal ceremony to mark their twenty years anniversary. Please can anyone tell us what the ceremony is usually like?

We are booked for an Enchanted Princess cruise, and have chosen a sea day for the ceremony. It looks like their is a wedding chapel in Enchanted Princess, and he has chosen the "Renewal of Vows Package". Can we ask...

*Does the captain usually perform the ceremony?

*Does the captain have you repeat the wedding vows that you would usually say at an actual wedding? If so, do you then say your personal vows to each other afterwards?

*Can you play music at the wedding?

*Does anyone know if there is a piano in the Enchanted Princess wedding chapel?

Thank you for any insight you can give, as we want to make this a very special day for my sister-in-law.

I surprised my Wife for our 25th anniversary. We were on the Island Princess going thru the canal. There was a note from me  in our cabin as we boarded asking her to marry me again, champagne on ice and two engraved Princess flute glasses. The ceremony was on a formal night, 22 people attended from our very active Cruise Critic group. Captain did the ceremony and it was wonderful. 43rd anniversary this year.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Janevo said:

That sounds lovely, such a nice surprise! 

Can you remember, did the Captain use a set script, had you given any information about yourselves to the captain? Was there any music?

Think there may have been music. Captain read from script, hard to understand with his strong Italian accent. Being formal night everyone was dressed up which was nice. Still working on those brownie points almost 20 years later.

We did a vow renewal on the Ruby in March. We chose the top package. We had a letter in our cabin when we first arrived asking us to meet the event manager at a certain time at one of the lounges. We went over the details including getting the time, picking music from a list, and arranging when we would get our champagne breakfast, canapés, and massages.  Our ceremony ended up being outside but they would have moved it to the chapel if the weather didn’t cooperate. Due to Covid the bridge tour was not available and they compensated with two Stanley bears for our goddaughters. Due to supplier issues the robes weren’t available so they gave us OBC in the amount that they sell for. The captain did the ceremony and he had us recite pre set vows- he did it in short segments since he has a pretty thick Italian accent. They show you the vows at the meeting as well prior to the service. We then had lots of pictures taken around the ship. We met with the photographer a few days later to pick out what we wanted. It is pricey. The ceremony was great and they had flowers and candelabra with the candles with the fake flickering flames. Hope this helps

Thats really useful to know, thank you very much Mortalgroove. We just weren't sure if there was a set script or not, so thats useful to get that at the meeting before the ceremony too. Can I ask if you got a bouquet and buttonhole? I think thats included in the package. If so, could you choose the colour of the flowers?

17 minutes ago, Janevo said:

Thats really useful to know, thank you very much Mortalgroove. We just weren't sure if there was a set script or not, so thats useful to get that at the meeting before the ceremony too. Can I ask if you got a bouquet and buttonhole? I think thats included in the package. If so, could you choose the colour of the flowers?

No choice but here is a pic

E64593B4-A9B4-4420-B6B6-42DD7C24E1DE.jpeg

Thats a really nice photo!  You both look very happy with your day. 

My sister in law never had the chance to wear a white dress when they married twenty years ago, and she would really like to do that.

19 minutes ago, Janevo said:

Thats a really nice photo!  You both look very happy with your day. 

My sister in law never had the chance to wear a white dress when they married twenty years ago, and she would really like to do that.

Glad she will get the opportunity. There is no way I was going to get my husband in a suit or tux. Needless to say we didn’t participate in formal nights. That’s the beauty of it- you can make it your own.