Tipping Arrangements on Cunard

hooked cruiser

I am due to travel on the QM2 later in the year, could anybody advise me what the process is for tipping?

When I travelled on Princess Line (Sister company) you had a fixed amount added to your final bill at the end of the cruise but , if you wished you could cancel this arrangement at the Pursers office and tip individually. Do they do similar on QM2:confused:

Since the tip added to the bill at the end of the cruise is really an insult to all that have waited on us, (only in our opinion), we just let that tip be added, and then tip cash, accordingly, to each person that we feel deserves it. We never tip extra on bar bills/wine stewards, or anything like that during the cruise, as it all gets pooled. We bring envelopes and hand out individual tips the last day.

Since the tip added to the bill at the end of the cruise is really an insult to all that have waited on us, (only in our opinion), QUOTE]

If it is indeed an insult, it is an insult from Cunard. They will tell you that the added tipping charges (excessive in my opinion, by European standards) fullfill the pax tipping "obligations"

Of course they welcome gladly any extras, particularly as we still do not know what really happens to them after collection. They COULD add a note that the charges are all that are expected and pax should not give extra, as some cruise lines do. Don't hold breath.

Maybe it's a culture thing, the difference between Brits - Europeans / Americans. And maybe because Americans pay less in the first place the extra tips are not so much of a big deal to them.

If the company paid staff the correct rate we could get away from this degrading practice with it's connection to the class system of the century before last.

Just my thoughts.

David.

Yes it is the same with Cunard. $11 p.d. in steerage.

David.

You're a very naughty boy. You know how some people get upset about the term 'steerage' e.g. -

Q: "My Granddad came to America from Ireland with his last few pounds and had a hideous time at sea (four days if it was on a Queen in the thirties), so how can you compare Cunard today with steerage conditions?"

A: Because the third class accommodation = Britannia class = Steerage.

Yeah, what's up with the "steerage" thing. As I've posted before.......some of us can afford "First Class", but simply choose not to pay the extra $$$$$$$ because we travel so much. Just a P.S.

When you have to split the "added" tip between at least 20 people........do the math. It is not an American or British "thing". Guess you aren't in the service industry.

Well of course we don't know how it is split up. We don't know really anything about the distribution at all. This we leave to the Company who add this levy so that we do not need to bother about it. If it is insufficient Cunard would be the ones to know and would presumably increase it.

Tipping seems to give folk more anguish than almost any other aspect of the cruise. It is illogical and unfair. Away with it.

David.

During our last voyage (NYC to LA on the QM2) we were charged $416 each for room and dining services. Every drink automatically had 15% added.

My final bill for tips, bar tab, spa and tours came to just over $5,000 during the 38 days. However, we also received $900 each onboard credit prior/during the cruise for one reason or another. So, we actually spent just over $6,800 and had a GREAT time!

I'd actually budgeted for $8k, but sadly, due to an upset stomach I was unable to keep up the pace in the various alcohol outlets during the last 10 days of the cruise, or I WOULD have hit/exceeded budget!!!

Anyway, a very rough estimate of total tips paid (bar and services) is $1,200.

Well of course we don't know how it is split up.

I did get an inside on how the bar tips are worked out.

My custom drink example:

Tom Collins x extra gin, no fruit, no veg = Irish Hero (a Micheal <Collins>), which costs $10

Tip = $1.50

Server gets 40% = 60 cents

Server pool gets 60% = 90 cents

One of the waiters I spoke to said the basic was £15k($30,000) plus tips for experienced waiters. He might have been bragging, but sounded pucker, because he went on to describe his offshore tax arrangements!

The service in alcohol outlets is first class and no wonder.

I do have a "tip" for passengers.

If a waiter asks if you would like a drink and you decline, they will place a coaster face down on your table. This alerts other waiters to not ask again. To get FAST service remove ALL face down coasters... $4k's experience given FREE to CC's members LOL.

RE: Tips

It is illogical and unfair. Away with it.

I agree, and while we're at it, get rid of sales tax, VAT and airport tax.

Jack(onland)

In terms of the "automatic" gratuity charge that is on one's account on the QM2, the splits are: 45% your dining room service staff; 30% your cabin staff; and 25% divided among other service employees (such as Kings Court waiters, room service waiters, etc.).

In terms of the "automatic" gratuity charge that is on one's account on the QM2, the splits are: 45% your dining room service staff; 30% your cabin staff; and 25% divided among other service employees (such as Kings Court waiters, room service waiters, etc.).

I didn't actually order any room service (what? I couldn't find enough food? <LOL>)

But I seem to remember there being an extra charge for room service. (Never seen that on any other cruise line we've been on) I can't believe they charge you extra plus tip money. In fact, I thought there was a tip added to Room service, just like bar bills.

Cunard does seem to nickle and dime you... or five dollar and ten dollar you.

Karie, Who just paid off her Discover card today. It was quite painful- Didn't seem so harsh charging all that stuff up! I think I'll mount and frame the bill as a souvenir- Probably cheper than some of Cunard's souvenirs!

There is undoubtably a different approach from different nationalities about tipping. I think Americans find it more natural than the English. It's certainly more prevalent in the USA.

That's not to say that either way is right, per se.

My own view is that it is a relic from the past. It's patronising. But I accept that employers rely on tips from customers to make legal wages into living wages. That, to me, is wrong.

I question why the deck staff get nothing - after all the effort they put into tendering etc.

I'd like to see the back of it - or some realistic guidance on it at the least. It's like a black art, and one doesn't want to be mean of course, but neither does one want to go over the top!

What? These people make about 2.00 an hour. The fact remains, they are underpaid, trying to make a living, and those of us who spend tens of thousands of dollars to sail across the ocean blue multiple times a year, or take an around the world voyage......heh, just tip them. It won't kill you and it may feed someone who isn't normally getting fed. What's the big deal. TIP.

First, I think the person mentioning steerage was only speaking "tongue in cheek", which in itself is a silly phrase as well. Many of us often use the term steerage, back of the bus, slumming it etc to describe our accomodations or place.

As to the tipping, it does get rather silly. When will somebody explain to me why we only tip certain people... and not the painters and floor scrubbers and the grease monkeys (oops - another bad term), and so many others? And, when you pay THOUSANDS of dollars, why cann't they just raise the price by $10-15 per day and include it and get rid of the whole stupid annoying practice in the first place. After all, if I pay $1750 each or $1849 each, it is pretty much the same thing and I don;t walk away with such a bad taste in my pocket.

A few years ago Cunard included tips in the cruise fare for UK passengers. (Because we are notoriously bad tippers I guess).

But now they have "unincluded" them again. I just booked on Carnival's Swan Hellenic Minerva II. All tips and shore excursions are included! I like that.

http://www.swanhellenic.com/

A few years ago Cunard included tips in the cruise fare for UK passengers. (Because we are notoriously bad tippers I guess).

But now they have "unincluded" them again. I just booked on Carnival's Swan Hellenic Minerva II. All tips and shore excursions are included! I like that.

http://www.swanhellenic.com/

Yes I also have just booked with them as well and I like that too. Rates of pay are constantly being quoted ($2.00 an hour) We should be raging against Cunard for paying such slave rates if indeed this is true.

David.

Archived