Positive For Covid on Viking

wearereadytogo

36 minutes ago, Babr said:

What does Trip Mate mean when they say your whole trip was interrupted? Since this started on the first day, what kind of claim will they be processing - trip cancellation for reimbursement of the entire trip or trip interruption which will cover the unused days?

The Viking Trip Mate insurance has quarantine as a covered event, and it doesn't qualify if that is aboard ship or ashore.

Therefore, if quarantined for 10-days, on day 1 of a 10-day cruise, I expect the insurance would process a full refund for the cruise fare, as the entire cruise was spent in quarantine.

• Like 1

That makes sense that it is considered trip interruption because travel had already commenced prior to arrival at the port. Since the passenger is on board instead of in a hotel, there will be no expense for trip delay; but reimbursement for the unused days would begin with quarantine.

On 5/26/2022 at 2:30 PM, Twitchly said:

Sorry to hear it, Rotonda. Glad you’re symptom-free. And glad Trip Mate will consider your onboard quarantine to be a trip interruption. Our insurance company won’t.

Did you get moved to another room, or are you still in your initial one?

I don’t understand why Customs has to get involved with disembarking Canadians into Canada. Must be some maritime law thing. 

It may be because rotonda tested positive on Day 1 and would have been denied boarding otherwise. It was too late to disembark and quarantine shoreside, which would have been covered under trip delay, and reimbursement for unused days and onward travel would be covered under trip interruption.

You are still entitled to pro-rated refund in the form of future cruise credits for the time in quarantine, according to the passage contract. Correct?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The Viking Trip Mate insurance has quarantine as a covered event, and it doesn't qualify if that is aboard ship or ashore.

Apparently we should’ve gone with Trip Mate, then. Our insurance will not consider our trip interrupted if we quarantine onboard. 

Edited by Twitchly

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

Apparently we should’ve gone with Trip Mate, then. Our insurance will not consider our trip interrupted if we quarantine onboard. 

As I said in the previous post, the difference in the circumstances may explain why your situation is not considered trip interruption by your insurance.

Aren’t you eligible for pro-rated credit from Viking as stated in passage contract?

8 minutes ago, Babr said:

Aren’t you eligible for pro-rated credit from Viking as stated in passage contract?

I assume so. But credit is only useful if we book another Viking cruise. We’re not frequent cruisers, and I’d really like to get out of the voucher cycle. We’d rather put our money elsewhere.

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

I assume so. But credit is only useful if we book another Viking cruise. We’re not frequent cruisers, and I’d really like to get out of the voucher cycle. We’d rather put our money elsewhere.

I certainly understand that point of view. Future credit has no value to me because I don’t know if or when I can use it.

I don’t know how the Viking policy works in practice. I can only go by what is stated in the policy. Nothing in it says it will cover quarantine on the ship. Trip interruption merely says it will reimburse forfeited prepaid  nonrefundable unused portion of the trip if you are delayed beyond departure date or can’t continue for a covered reason.

On 5/27/2022 at 3:42 AM, KBs mum said:

Viking covid rules don't follow those of the countries on the itinerary. They insist on testing and quarantine when the countries don't require any testing for entry or at all, and only require self isolation by social distancing. They seem stuck in the days of pre Omicron, pre vaccine panic. 

If a country on the itineraries rules or no easy access to a hospital ashore necessitate testing/covid jail, then of course we all have to deal with it, but at the moment there's not even the option to swap itineraries to avoid the risk of a ruined holiday. 

Honesttly, Viking the only line I have seen that is testing everyday,  Personally it affected my decision to do Seabourn in the Med this summer instead.  It is already stressful to test pre and post trip.  I would have a hard time enjoying myself is constantly worried.  At the premium price they charge, it is not worth the stress compared to the other luxury brands.  I will sail them again when this is over,  I actually already had Covid and have been vaccinated and boosted and Still scared of being quarantined!

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Thenagers said:

Honesttly, Viking the only line I have seen that is testing everyday,  Personally it affected my decision to do Seabourn in the Med this summer instead.  It is already stressful to test pre and post trip.  I would have a hard time enjoying myself is constantly worried.  At the premium price they charge, it is not worth the stress compared to the other luxury brands.  I will sail them again when this is over,  I actually already had Covid and have been vaccinated and boosted and Still scared of being quarantined!

Wow!! if you find testing stressful, I suggest it possibly isn't the correct time to resume cruising.

Should you contract COVID, clearly you don't mind passing it on to others.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Should you contract COVID, clearly you don't mind passing it on to others.

I’m going to go out on a limb and assume people who use this argument don’t test themselves daily when going out into public or otherwise. I’m also going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they don’t intend to be callous toward others. They simply don’t believe they need to test daily in order to protect those around them while going about their lives.

That’s all we who don’t appreciate Viking’s daily testing policy are saying. A cruise is not sufficiently different from any other public venue to warrant more rigorous testing. This doesn’t equate to not caring about passing COVID along to others any more than your not testing yourself before going out into public does. 

Maybe it’s just the internet, but why must we assume the worst about each other when we disagree? 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

With the thousands of posts on the various CC Viking forums and roll calls regarding Viking's testing protocol, I doubt that anyone's position has been changed. Accept Viking's policy and cruise, or reject Viking's policy and find other options until that policy changes. The debate is pointless. I have two Viking cruises booked in the next seven months, and while I hope the policy changes, I accept that it may not. I don't have to like it; I just have to accept it and move on, or cancel.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

I’m going to go out on a limb and assume people who use this argument don’t test themselves daily when going out into public or otherwise. I’m also going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they don’t intend to be callous toward others. They simply don’t believe they need to test daily in order to protect those around them while going about their lives.

That’s all we who don’t appreciate Viking’s daily testing policy are saying. A cruise is not sufficiently different from any other public venue to warrant more rigorous testing. This doesn’t equate to not caring about passing COVID along to others any more than your not testing yourself before going out into public does. 

Maybe it’s just the internet, but why must we assume the worst about each other when we disagree? 

I'll suggest the key difference, is when we are at home, daily PCR testing is not an option, at least where I live. Even during the height of our mass COVID testing centres, a daily COVID test was not available to us, even if we wanted it. Since the results took 48 hrs, it would have been pointless. Therefore, I see no point in comparing standards at home to those aboard a Viking ship - it isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Viking are one of the few shipping companies that clearly take the health & safety of the crew and passengers seriously. Unlike other shipping companies, they don't pay lip service to safety. They have clearly stated their policy since it was first introduced in December 2020.

Even with the large variety of cruise lines, you will never find one that meets all of our requirements, so like everything else in life it is a trade-off. If Viking's robust health & safety standards do not meet your needs, it's time to find an alternative cruise line that has less robust health & safety standards. Since Viking is the only one doing daily testing there are lots of options.

Where I posted that those not wanting daily testing have no problem infecting others, is not an assumption. It is based on facts from several previous posts and my almost 40 yrs working on passenger vessels. I recall one specific post that stated they didn't want daily testing, as it could ruin an expensive holiday.

Knowing you are positive gets you placed in quarantine, not knowing means you continue as normal. While I will give the benefit of the doubt to those with symptoms, that they will request testing and quarantine, if positive. However, those that are asymptomatic are free to continue, potentially infecting crew, pax and others ashore. This is not an assumption, it is a fact, as while the severity of the disease has decreased, it is now more infectious.

I also note that in my experience, some pax with symptoms do report to medical, but many do not, using the excuse that they don't want to ruin their holiday. Again, this is fact based on work experience, not assumption.

Personally, daily testing isn't an option at home, but if it is available on a ship, I am more than happy to comply. In booking a cruise, we ensure we have insurance coverage against the financial risk, so in the event we test positive and end up in quarantine, we have no financial risk. Yes, we may have to repeat the cruise, but at least we know that we have done our bit to minimise the impact on others.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

I take my hat off to you Andy, you have remained a voice of reason throughout this continual attempt to influence Viking to change their course. Every thread is peppered with anti test this, anti test that, anti mask this, anti mask that.

We managed to avoid infection the entire time on the ship, reassured by the daily testing and therefore able to relax with others unmasked. We both unfortunately contracted C on the plane home Saturday when many were coughing very vigorously and most unmasked. It really hasn't been a walk in the park here either!

Thank you Andy for your continued attempt to cut through this madness. Wish they'd stop moaning and vote with their feet! I feel like just walking away from CC at the moment which is a shame as I'm attempting to plan our next Viking cruise and this vehicle is great for research and feedback.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I'll suggest the key difference, is when we are at home, daily PCR testing is not an option, at least where I live. Even during the height of our mass COVID testing centres, a daily COVID test was not available to us, even if we wanted it. Since the results took 48 hrs, it would have been pointless. Therefore, I see no point in comparing standards at home to those aboard a Viking ship - it isn't an apples to apples comparison.

To add to this and a word of warning from personal experience that daily home rapid antigen testing will not prevent the spread of Covid.  I recently attended a work meeting with about 30 people (everyone fully vaxed/boosted, wearing masks). A person attending the meeting had very mild "cold" symptoms that day but said they had tested negative twice (rapid antigen). Two days later, the person reported that they had come down with Covid.  8 of us attending the meeting (about a quarter), including myself, came down with Covid and became sick.  I think we caught it during a lunch break, held outside under a covered patio, where people took their masks off to eat and drink. 

I started daily home testing (rapid antigen) right away and tested negative until having a positive test on the 6th day after being exposed.  I started isolating as soon as testing positive but unfortunately had already spread the virus to a family member who lives with us. Fortunately, neither of us required hospitalization but we were both sick (fever, coughing, extreme fatigue), and it took a few weeks to fully recover.  PCR testing is much more sensitive than rapid antigen and may have detected the virus much earlier in the infection before having spread to others.  As Heidi points out, very few people at home have access to daily PCR testing with rapid results.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Moonlion said:

To add to this and a word of warning from personal experience that daily home rapid antigen testing will not prevent the spread of Covid.  I recently attended a work meeting with about 30 people (everyone fully vaxed/boosted, wearing masks). A person attending the meeting had very mild "cold" symptoms that day but said they had tested negative twice (rapid antigen). Two days later, the person reported that they had come down with Covid.  8 of us attending the meeting (about a quarter), including myself, came down with Covid and became sick.  I think we caught it during a lunch break, held outside under a covered patio, where people took their masks off to eat and drink. 

I started daily home testing (rapid antigen) right away and tested negative until having a positive test on the 6th day after being exposed.  I started isolating as soon as testing positive but unfortunately had already spread the virus to a family member who lives with us. Fortunately, neither of us required hospitalization but we were both sick (fever, coughing, extreme fatigue), and it took a few weeks to fully recover.  PCR testing is much more sensitive than rapid antigen and may have detected the virus much earlier in the infection before having spread to others.  As Heidi points out, very few people at home have access to daily PCR testing with rapid results.  

Moonlion, thank you for this personal account.

we were on Viking Istanbul to Venice last month and spat into a tube daily.   It did not ruin our trip, actually it provided peace of mind.  Our biggest issue was allergies due to olive trees in flower.

• Like 4

A first hand experience to share.  We just returned from a Viking Ocean cruise where DH tested positive on Day 4 of the cruise. He was fully vaxxed and boosted, and tested negative via PCR three days before our departure.  At the time of testing positive, he was totally asymptomatic but did develop very minor symptoms (slight cough) in the days following.  

Viking was truly supportive in every way and we could not have asked for more assistance or caring.  He was quarantined in a separate cabin for 5 days and then required to wear a mask for the duration of the cruise. He was offered whatever food/drink he wanted (not limited by room service menu), along with books, puzzles, etc.  A nurse checked him twice a day and the doctor once a day. He was still testing positive on our debark day and received a recovery letter which caused no issues at all for our flights home. 

We confirmed with our travel insurance that this is covered as trip interruption, and Viking also will provide compensation (waiting until after the trip to determine all of the impacts and costs). They did automatically refund shore excursions where he was unable to participate.  

Of course testing positive was disappointing, but we fully knew the risks before proceeding with the trip.  The saliva testing is really not a big deal whatsoever, and we appreciated confirmation that he was positive as a part of the standard process.  We still had a wonderful time pre-cruise and 10 of the 15 days of the cruise.  Our thoughts are that if it had to happen, being comfortable and well cared for was a good consolation.  We are still glad we took the trip (the Viking Ocean ships and staff are truly wonderful!)

I know that there are lots of differing opinions, but wanted to share our experience and perspective. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

So I’d like to ask a question, not for argument’s sake or to change minds since we’re way past that. I’m genuinely interested in what people think about this. I promise not to argue in response. (I may ask for clarification if I’m unclear or interested in hearing more but will try not to do it in a loaded way.) 

The question: For those of you who feel Viking should continue daily COVID testing, at what point would you be fine with their discontinuing the practice? What would need to happen for you to be comfortable/OK with that? (Or do you think this should be Viking’s new normal from now on?)

OK, that’s 3 questions, sort of. Thanks in advance for all civil responses.

• Like 1

At some point we have to learn to live with this virus. Living with it shouldn’t mean isolation or removing passengers from cruise ships. We have vaccines, boosters, and treatments that are all extremely effective. Personally, I think the time is now for these changes. If not now, then when? Surely we can’t go on like this indefinitely. (I’m vaccinated, boosted, and also had Covid around Easter). 

• Like 4

So I’d like to ask a question, not for argument’s sake or to change minds since we’re way past that. I’m genuinely interested in what people think about this. I promise not to argue in response. (I may ask for clarification if I’m unclear or interested in hearing more but will try not to do it in a loaded way.) 

The question: For those of you who feel Viking should continue daily COVID testing, at what point would you be fine with their discontinuing the practice? What would need to happen for you to be comfortable/OK with that? (Or do you think this should be Viking’s new normal from now on?)

All good questions. My thoughts which I posted on another CC VOC thread:

Personally, I'm done with worrying about whether or not Viking requires masking and/or testing.  I'll deal with it either way.  We're choosing our upcoming cruise and vacation options based itinerary, cost and whether we like the product provided...not on Covid requirements.  I'm actually facing a bit of cognitive dissonance on the matter of masking and testing 😪.  I agree that the world needs to move on and learn to "live" with Covid; it's not going away.  I also fear that this virus has a lot more surprises in store for us. I could see a scenario where a highly contagious and lethal variant starts rapidly spreading around the world, and countries snap shut their borders again.   Hence, I'm neutral on whether masking and testing should be required (and this is from someone who recently contracted Covid and became sick). 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, irishgirl1 said:

He was quarantined in a separate cabin for 5 days and then required to wear a mask for the duration of the cruise.

So just 5 days in quarantine now, instead of 10?  Is this a new change of policy for Viking, or have I missed that quarantine time had been reduced?

For me this is a rather easy question to answer.

Although I have extensive training and experience in risk management, it is limited to Deck Operations and some Engineering. I have no experience conducting medical/infectious disease risk assessments, so I defer to Viking's medical experts to analyse the risks and determine that the risk mitigation strategies no longer require daily testing and/or reduced testing, to maintain an equivalent level of safety.

Having spent almost 100-days on a Viking ship during COVID, I am comfortable with their health & safety standards and was extremely impressed, when they implemented their COVID procedures. Therefore, I am comfortable deferring to the subject matter experts, rather than providing an uninformed personal opinion.

• Like 4

We did a “getaway” cruise on Princess last December.  The pier is 45 minutes away and it was t Mexico which doesn’t interest us, it was a getaway journey.  We walked at two of three ports.  The only people masked on share were locals and a few Americans.  Testing required before cruise but no daily testing.  

We cruised Viking last month Istanbul to Venice with daily testing.  I was comfortable with all on board without masks.

As long as you have to have a negative test to return to the US, I support daily testing on Viking.

My opinion is that Viking tests catches possible contagious people before they infect others and that is beneficial to all.

As always your mileage and opinion may vary 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

As long as you have to have a negative test to return to the US, I support daily testing on Viking.

That test is not proctored and could belong to anybody. We know this from our experience on Jupiter last month. Your “negative certificate “ to return to the US may not be, in fact, a negative result.