Cancel pre/post cruise extensions

dwlmg

My circumstances have changed where I may need to shorten my cruise due to medical reasons. I have a pre cruise extension which has been paid in full. Has anyone had any experience with cancelling a pre/post cruise extension but keeping the base cruise? Did Viking refund the extension, issue a future cruise credit voucher, or worse offer nothing? The cruise is booked with a cancel for any reason guarantee but I did not purchase any other trip insurance. I believe I can cancel the entire cruise for a voucher under the cancel for any reason but if I can, I would like to do the cruise.

I was able to cancel without any problem at all.  That was pre covid however I don’t know if it matters.   With your cancel for any reason insurance let them know that you could easily cancel but don’t wish to.  How far out is the trip?  If it’s close then they may have already incurred expense but if not then it should be no big deal to just cancel an extension.  Many times there are wait lists for the extensions.  

Talk to Viking first. It may be easily resolved.

However, if you find yourself needing reimbursement from another source, check the travel benefits of the credit card you used. The fee-based cards offer some cancellation coverage unless the medical condition was pre-existing. The premium cards may cover pre-existing with a sixty-day look back, meaning the condition had to be stable for that amount of time before you booked.

It is worth a look if you have no other recourse.

The issue is the Pristine Alaska Pre Cruise Extension for the 12 Jul 2022 Inside Passage sailing.  I doubt Viking will have any trouble filling that space. Our invoice indicates a voucher was applied to pay for the extension so I suspect a voucher will be the offer for cancellation.

When we encountered this in January, we were told by our TA that canceling an extension more than 30 days in advance could result in a refund. Because we canceled just 2 weeks before the cruise, the money for the extensions was rolled into the voucher for the canceled cruise. 

Excursions are handled differently. Those  can be canceled for a refund closer to the cruise date, even on the cruise itself. Don’t remember the particulars, but I believe that info is on My Viking Journey.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dwlmg said:

The issue is the Pristine Alaska Pre Cruise Extension for the 12 Jul 2022 Inside Passage sailing.  I doubt Viking will have any trouble filling that space. Our invoice indicates a voucher was applied to pay for the extension so I suspect a voucher will be the offer for cancellation.

Ah. Just saw this. Yes, that’s probably right. If you paid with a voucher, you’ll likely not get a cash refund.