Actual odds glacier dogsledding will happen?

Kitty Ellas Mom

I'm booked on the helicopter to Mendenhall glacier for dogsledding in Juneau in mid June in the early AM.  I've read so much saying that these tours often don't happen due to weather.  Any idea what my odds are that it happens?  I ask because I have 2 days in Anchorage prior to embarkation and I'm thinking about booking the same tour, through Alpine Air in Girdwood, and then canceling the Juneau excursion if the first flight takes place.  Or, I might just do a glacier landing tour without the dogs.  I'm not too keen on paying for this twice because it's a big expense but if I loved it I could see doing both (however, I am NOT a plane person so I don't know how I'm going to handle the helicopter--which is part of why I don't just do this in Girdwood to begin with, I will have just had an awful full day of flying to get to Girdwood).  If I didn't do the glacier landing dogsledding in Juneau I'd go to Mendenhall and Nugget Falls, then the Tram;  I've never been there so it is all new to me.  I'm not worried about filling the time.

It's hit and miss due to weather. In May 2014 our dogsled/helicopter was canceled as it was raining. In June 2018 it was a beautiful sunny day and the excursion was fantastic. I went on a helicopter to glacier for an airboat ride in Sept. 2019 and the weather was again, great. It's the luck of the draw.

This completely depends on the weather and cloud ceiling. Even on sunny days, there can be thick fog in the morning. Your weather chances are better up north. If this is an absolute must-do for you, your chances are better up north. If it’s the dogs you are after more than the flight, there are several actual Iditarod kennels with summer land tours in places like Talkeetna and Seward. The setup in Juneau brings in outside dogs and flies them up to set up a camp for tourists. There is not authentic dog sledding in Juneau in the winter. If you want to glacier flight see, Wings/Taku floatplanes in Juneau are an amazing experience—and I am NOT a small plane person. 

The glacier landing/dog sledding was a priority for us in 2018. We booked in Seward https://www.sewardhelicopters.com/seward-dog-sled-tours on the morning of our ship's departure. It was overcast, but the cloud ceiling was high enough that we were able to go - the afternoon trips were cancelled.  It was an amazing experience! I don't love helicopters, but you're so busy looking at the incredible scenery, that it's really not too bad. And a fairly short flight.

We figured if we couldn't go in Seward due to weather, then we'd try to book in Juneau or Skagway. It turns out that the Juneau excursions were cancelled the day we were there. We feel very lucky that we were able to do this!

IMG_2161.JPG