Do they constantly push alcohol on the passangers?

pool girl

We will be going on the star in April/06. I have been reading the threads and noticed that people say beverage servers are a little pushy when it comes to alcoholic beverages. We do not drink alcohol but will probably purchase non-alcoholic drinks on the cruise. Any suggestions to how to avoid this problem. Do I tell them that we don't drink and then they will leave us alone?

A simple no thank you should suffice.

On our cruise, the servers weren't pushy, they were just doing their job. They would ask, we would say 'no thank you' and the servers moved on. :)

Oh good. I just got the impression that they were all over you. Thanks for the quick response. I feel better now.

I have never had a problem with this. A simple no thank you is enough. Remember, they have a lot of other people that need to be served, so they aren't going to waste the time being pushy and trying to convince someone to buy a drink when there are others who want to buy one.

On the other hand, the servers are VERY good when it comes to service. When I was on the Sun in December of 2004 the pool area wait staff was amazing. They remembered what my drink of choice was and made sure I always had a cold one. However, they would ask and if I said no thank you to any more there was no pressure.

True a "no thank you" will suffice the bar waiter asking to serve you...but a few minutes later a new one will come along and you will have to repeat yourself. Again, this is par for the course. They are hard working individuals whose salaries depend upon how much tips they can make. Although it would be nice if each server had a "territory" this isn't usually the case so you may have a multitude of servers ask you during the course of a tanning excursion by the pool.

One of the things I really like about cruising is that no one thinks it's strange if you sit down in a bar or lounge to hear some music without ordering anything. Sometimes I just don't want anything (alcoholic OR non-alcoholic) to drink, and no one looks at you funny if you say, "No, thanks." Try doing that in a bar on land.

I really only noticed them at the sail aways when there were lots of passengers on deck.. they would come around with trays of various specialty (expensive)drinks to tempt you.

I would just say no thanks, but they would come back 15 minutes later and ask again.

We were only asked twice on our 7 day cruise if we cared for a drink. Even while sitting in the bar section to participate in an evening of fun, we were never even approached.

Those who indicated that they wished service, by raising a hand or a nod were quickly taken care of.

I agree that a simple "No Thank You" works well, and it seems after a few times in the same area, the servers know that you are not interested in a drink, and no longer ask.

We never felt pestered at all by any of the waiters.

I really only noticed them at the sail aways when there were lots of passengers on deck.. they would come around with trays of various specialty (expensive)drinks to tempt you.

I would just say no thanks, but they would come back 15 minutes later and ask again.

This may be the one situation that can trigger complaints. As the ship is about to sail away from home port, a flock of bar waiters moves around the deck approaching passengers holding trays of drinks in festive glasses. A passenger unfamiliar with this drill MAY infer that he/she is being offered a complimentary drink for sail away, and will unsuspectingly take one. The passenger is then surprised when the server asks for his/her room card to prepare a check for the drink, and will sometimes come here and complain about it. If you don't drink alcohol, of course, you will not get caught in this situation.

This may be the one situation that can trigger complaints. As the ship is about to sail away from home port, a flock of bar waiters moves around the deck approaching passengers holding trays of drinks in festive glasses. A passenger unfamiliar with this drill MAY infer that he/she is being offered a complimentary drink for sail away, and will unsuspectingly take one. The passenger is then surprised when the server asks for his/her room card to prepare a check for the drink, and will sometimes come here and complain about it. If you don't drink alcohol, of course, you will not get caught in this situation.

Plus, these drinks are in souvenir glasses and are thus more expensive. My husband and I joke that the sailaway foo-foo drinks are purchased only by first-time cruisers (including us, once upon a time). We say, "Here come the newbie cocktails!"

Plus, these drinks are in souvenir glasses and are thus more expensive. My husband and I joke that the sailaway foo-foo drinks are purchased only by first-time cruisers (including us, once upon a time). We say, "Here come the newbie cocktails!"

And it should be pointed out that this practice is done on all mass-market cruise lines, not just NCL.

Our cruise on the Jewel had less pushy servers than some ships we have sailed, both NCL and other mass marketed lines. Always that first day is push push push: you think the word NO THANK YOU is a response to everything. I remember our first cruise more than 20 years ago. We thought those drinks the first day for sail away were free. Surprise!!! Prior to the start of the evening show there are servers all over the place trying to intice you to purchase but after the show starts they disappear. We haven't found the pusers to be a problem at all. NMnita

I am a soda drinker, my husband is not. We share a card and he may have a soda or two during a seven day cruise. It really all depends if you are taking advantage of the "shared card".

Another something interesting.... In December we sailed Carnival and they have eliminated straws on the ship altogether in an effort to prevent ships straws from flying overboard... Thoes frozen drink are just not the same without a straw! I dont know if NCL has adopted the same policy.

I've never had a problem with pushy bar servers on NCL, either. Around the sundecks they mostly just walk around saying "bar service" every now and then, same with the more populated lounges.

The one thing that really irritates me, though -- and it's just a few of them -- is that they'll automatically give you call liquor instead of well without even asking, and sometimes bringing it in a souvenir glass. I need to remember to specifically ask for "house rum in a regular glass with a straw" at the beginning of the cruise. Once you find that special server or bartender, they'll remember for the duration.

The card is intended for one person's use, but that doesn't stop some people from abusing it.

The stickers will be replaced with an addenum to the purchaser's onboard account. What this means is scanning of your embarkation card will be required at the time of soda purchases. If you never purchased the "soda pass" you will get automatically charged + grats. If you do have the soda pass there will be no charge and requirement to sign a receipt.

This effectively eliminates sharing unless the server does not check the name on the card. Of course brothers could share, etc. but you get the idea.

Cheers,

Norman

I've never had a problem with pushy bar servers on NCL, either. Around the sundecks they mostly just walk around saying "bar service" every now and then, same with the more populated lounges.

The one thing that really irritates me, though -- and it's just a few of them -- is that they'll automatically give you call liquor instead of well without even asking, and sometimes bringing it in a souvenir glass. I need to remember to specifically ask for "house rum in a regular glass with a straw" at the beginning of the cruise. Once you find that special server or bartender, they'll remember for the duration.

Hi Rumncoke: This will be the second silly question I have asked on this forum. What is a call drink? I really appreciate all the responses. Thank-you.

Archived