COVID protocol

emerald sea

Looking for information for on board protocols relating to COVID. Has anyone travelled to Alaska in the past few weeks? Are masks required on board? How is social distancing handled on board? How is testing handled on board at each port of call? Could you summarize the differences on board today vs. pre COVID.

Thanks for any input that you can offer. Can’t wait to get back to sea!

The answers lie on the websites of each individual cruise line. There will be similarities, and there will be differences. And the protocols are constantly evolving, so what was mandated a few weeks ago may be very different a few weeks from now.

• Like 2

well, you need to say which cruise line, however, the cruise ships are following CDC rules, and for example, RCCL has no masks on the ship, or in Alaska since Alaska.  There is only one test, and you need to be tested within two days prior.  There is no testing on the ship and certainly no testing for each port.  Canada does not require testing to enter.  So, the only thing you need is a vaccination and a test prior the cruise.  Now if you are one of the people who decided to get off in Vancouver, and get on a plane really quick, guess what, you are on your own to find a test in Vancouver to meet the rule, that says, you must have a test to go to the USA. That rule has nothing to do with the cruise ship.....but you can rent a car, drive over the border, and fly from WA. 

What is social distancing on a ship?  It is at 100% capacity, and if you want to social distance, don't stand next to someone.....problem solved. 

Currently, there is no real difference now, than 2 years ago other than you will see some people wear a mask, and try to figure out how to get past a crowd.

And- if entering Canada (even if you aren't getting off the ship)- there is the highly discussed ArriveCAN which you MUST complete online within 72 hours of boarding. 

I see the suggestion of renting a car one way- just curious if that is actually allowed? Picking it in one country and dropping it off in another? 

23 hours ago, 5waldos said:

And- if entering Canada (even if you aren't getting off the ship)- there is the highly discussed ArriveCAN which you MUST complete online within 72 hours of boarding. 

I see the suggestion of renting a car one way- just curious if that is actually allowed? Picking it in one country and dropping it off in another? 

The car rental, you need to check on, but it was not uncommon at one time with Canada/USA.  Same as in Europe.  

On 5/4/2022 at 2:21 PM, 5waldos said:

I wasn't able to find a rental in the state of Washington that I could drop off in Vancouver. We were hoping to fly into Seattle and visit friends for a couple days before the cruise but couldn't get a car with a drop off point anywhere in Vancouver. Not sure going the other direction, no way to find out except to check (I use costcotravel.com as a starting point if you're a member).

6 hours ago, happyinvail said:

I wasn't able to find a rental in the state of Washington that I could drop off in Vancouver. We were hoping to fly into Seattle and visit friends for a couple days before the cruise but couldn't get a car with a drop off point anywhere in Vancouver. Not sure going the other direction, no way to find out except to check (I use costcotravel.com as a starting point if you're a member).

I did find cars that could be rented in Vancouver and dropped off in Seattle so there must be cars that return. I think that the travel company you are using just don't have them- not sure they do one-way rentals at all ? We are flying into Vancouver so this is not a personal issue for me but I was curious. 

On 5/12/2022 at 7:39 AM, 5waldos said:

I did find cars that could be rented in Vancouver and dropped off in Seattle so there must be cars that return. I think that the travel company you are using just don't have them- not sure they do one-way rentals at all ? We are flying into Vancouver so this is not a personal issue for me but I was curious. 

For those of us try to find car rentals from Vancouver to Seattle, please tell us what companies you found?  Thanks

Sorry- I really don't remember but it was almost certainly something like Kayak or Expedia as opposed to a particular rental company.  And someone on CC yesterday mentioned that they had found one on Costco but that was not in Vancouver although I have found that they usually don't offer one-way rentals.