Juneau/Skagway/Ketchikan mosquitos for first week of August?

Phych

We're planning NCL Encore for Alaska that embarks July 31. Ports will be Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan. In our researching for the cruise, we've run across several videos of the insane amount of mosquitos that are there. My wife is a magnet for mosquitos and is also highly allergic. Are mosquitos a problem for our planned ports?

I was actually just reading about Alaska's mosquito problem and wondering too, although the article I read said that they don't hang out in the cruise ship coastal type areas.  But, I have yet to take my trip so others that have been there are a better source than I am.

• Like 1

Not the ports themselves (coast = breezes and mosquitos struggle to fly well in wind) but if you plan any excursions inland that's where the wee bar-stewards might start nibbling. We got a bit blase after a cruise or three and stopped carrying bug spray in our pockets - then went for a walk in the woods near Sitka to see some totem poles (ironically enough including this one!) and there were more than a few bitey beasties out and about... All the more galling as we had hi-strength DEET with us on the trip, just back onboard in the bathroom instead of where it would have been useful!!!

Considering how easy it is to acquire and carry a small bottle of spray, it's a good habit to take it whenever you leave the ship just in case - but I doubt you could go anywhere in those ports where you'd need a full mesh head cover etc. like you would if you were far inland in mozzie season.

• Thanks 3