Vegan Options?

HatRez

Has anyone cruise recently with Koningsdam and taken note of the vegan options? I'm looking at the different menus on the app and they have lots of items flagged vegetarian but no markings for vegan. I haven't been on a cruise since I went vegan 7 years ago so I'm preparing myself for a very different type of experience culinarily. I'm assuming my only breakfast option will be fruit and oatmeal, and my only dessert option will be sorbet. 

See https://rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/lido-restaurant-and-manhattan-dining-room-mdr/

The very first item is the vegetarian menu, highlighting vegan entrees in the MDR.

Im pretty confident that the speciality restaurants could accommodate you with getting the same entree if you were dining with friends/family. I’d ask the matte’s. I don’t know how that might affect any applicable upcharge.

happy travels!

You can get pizza and salad minus the cheese at NY Deli, and there are options at DiveIn. Your first dinner in MDR do the best with the menu presented (you can supplement if need be in Lido afterwards) and let you wait staff know you will be selecting from the vegetarian/vegan menu for the remainder of the cruise. You choose at dinner for the next night, and so on. There are non-dairy milks available and even room service is very do-able. I have watched several videos recently and am seeing quite a few Lido items marked Vegan now. I have successfully cruised as a vegan on several lines over the last 28 years. I’m a bit reserved and do not like to draw attention to my eating preferences. You will be fine. 🙂

• 8 months later...

Poppy Banks is right. I’m a vegetarian but vegan at home. The main dining room has a dedicated vegetarian/vegan menu. You just have to order off the main menu the first night. 2021 I sailed to Alaska for 7 days on the Eurodam. I didn’t make it through the menu. You have to order a day ahead. I ended up making reservations in the same section so my wait staff knew me and would bring me the menu without asking and they always knew what I had ordered the night before.

The lido has vegan sushi you have to request because it’s usually not on display. They also have a salad station where you pick what goes in.

Dive in has impossible burgers & brats and a portobello burger. 

Tamarind can make you veggie sushi and they even made a soup for me that wasn’t listed on the menu. I didn’t get upcharged.

I’m going to be on a cruise in a week on the Eurodam. I’ll post photos of the Vegetarian menu here and I’ll let you know about pinnacle grill & Canaletto too.

But the main dining room will have the best food for you. Tamarind was really disappointing to me and I LOVE Asian food.

Enjoy!

Edited by Nerdy veghead
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the vegetarian/vegan menu from my February, 2023 Caribbean Sunfarer cruise. The regular menu has 2 different veg options on the menu every night. Tamarind is awful for vegetarians. Which is sad because Asian food is so good for vegans usually. The Pinnacle Grill is better. 

A8D92DAD-C38B-48D3-A4A4-A7F982E9DD90.jpeg

4B960F6F-9779-4BC6-98DB-BA0481D478F2.jpeg

Edited by Nerdy veghead
Add info
  • Like 3

On 2/10/2023 at 9:12 PM, FOPMan said:

I would ask the matre’d at Tamarind if the chef might accommodate. They are pretty talented and generally willing to help if they can. 

Tamarind was much more accommodating when I cruised on the same boat to Alaska last August. This time not so much. Our waitress basically made no suggestions after I said I was vegetarian. She just told me one of the dips had fish sauce. They charged me $5 for vegan sushi this time. I got it for free last time and they didn’t explain I would  be charged when I ordered it. They didn’t offer to veganize anything. You have only one appetizer choice which is ramen soup and then dan Dan noodles, which are good but noodle overload if you get the ramen. I had the only other main which was tempura vegetables on a scallion pancake that just served to soak up the oil. It was really not worth it. If I didn’t have a have it all package I would not have bothered. You can’t eat one of the dips because it has fish sauce. Totally disappointing. 

Without being aggressive, I would have asked. We were on NS in December. Some of the staff were not as knowledgeable about the menu as others.

I was surprised when the Thai beef salad was mild. Like no kick. We commented to the matre’d towards the end of the meal. He said they reduced the heat on a bunch of things because a number of customers found them too hot but that they could turn up the hear. They did later in the week on a subsequent visit.

I also asked, and they were happy to accommodate a different arrangement f of sorbets.

They make a pretty good vegan "beef" chili on the Lido that's available most days.  I'm not vegan or even vegetarian but like it.

We have traveled with people who had special dietary needs in the past and usually if you ask in advance the specialty restaurants can make special accommodations.  Vegan diet is a bit more restrictive so it's probably much more challenging for them than say, vegetarian, but depending on the crew they may go the extra mile for you if you give them some heads up.  Having said that, I will say we have noticed that now that the ships are fuller there's less of the individual attention than there used to be when we were cruising at 50% or less capacity.