Disabled travel for a first time cruiser

Please explain what you mean by a “resource.” Are you looking for a book or printing material about taking a cerise when you happen to have a disability?

There are different types of disabilities-some affecting mobility, some affecting sight, some affecting hearing, and some affecting comprehension, and so on. Some individuals may have multiple challenges.

Different challenges impact different individuals differently, and may require different accommodations.

Cruise lines do not provide 1:1 assistants, or assistance with eating, bathing, medication administration, and other personal activities. All ships have both waiter service tables and cafeterias for dining. Help is available for carrying trays of food as needed in cafeterias. 

Most cruise ships are pretty accessible to individuals who use mobility equipment. An accessible cabin is required to accommodate wheelchairs. Bathrooms in accessible cabins have grab rails and a walk-in, no barrier shower.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I’m going to “piggy back” on here just to see if popping this thread up gets more readers and replies.

To the OP, please return and provide more detail, so people can assist you.

We have a couple of family members who are considering cruising in 2023.  Both do NOT require scooters or walkers on an every day basis, however, due to weight and health issues, they both move in VERY slow motion and struggle with steps.  Just yesterday, I encouraged one family member to read over the accessible cabin options on the Carnival site and to book soon in order to obtain one of those limited cabins.  I really think the other family member should consider taking a foldable scooter with her, but I don’t think she would need an accessible cabin.

Would they have an option to request a dining room table toward the front, so they don’t have to navigate through the entire dining room to a mid or back table?  Would they go through Special Needs prior to sailing or just wait until they are onboard?