medical release

soldierpond

I just got back 1 wk ago from Valor cruise and took DD 13 with a friend of hers. Hubby did not go and nobody asked for a letter of approval. I did have a notarized letter of approval for DD friend but they never even asked to see that. I would say you're good to go without one. Enjoy!

If you are her mother there is no problem i tavel with my children all the time and have never carried anything from thier father. Noone has ever ask for anything either. You only need a release if you are not the parent or legal gaurdian. HTH

Daughter (age15) and I are cruising without DH in just less than 4 weeks. Does he have to sign a release???? How do they know there is a husband in the picture?? Just curious

You should check out the immigration rules on where you're going. If you're going to Mexico, technically you may be required to have the father's written permission for her to enter the country. Technically, the cruise line and/or Mexico could refuse permission for your daughter to get off the boat if they choose to enforce the law. They could even deny your daughter boarding on the ship. I'm not saying they would enforce the law, but I certainly wouldn't take the chance.

I don't know about other countries. I went with one of my sons to Mexico a few years ago, and they did check at the border to make sure he could legally enter; if I hadn't had written permission from his mother, we would been barred entry. And a few years ago, we went as a family to Canada and my wife and I were asked for proof they were our children.

So definitely check out the rules if you'll be visiting a foreign port!

I looked it up, and here's the word from Carnival:

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico. (emphasis added)

Just wanted to add that OP's original query was labeled Medical Release, and no, as mother you can sign for anything that might be needed medically.

But for travel, I would go with the Carnival strong recommendation and get a travel release notarized. Even if above poster's did not need them, who are you gonna call if it turns out you do need them?

His comment was "what if you got knocked up and there was no father in the picture" Which is not the case! He did write letter, but living on Canadian border makes one question Just how much you need to prove! OK I'm ready, 28 days and counting!

Its all starts with who is on the Birth Certificate. No father listed, no signature needed. And the Canadian borders are reportedly some of the most difficult to cross without travel authorizations from both parents...both from what gets posted here and my own experience. Very concerned about child abduction issues.

Archived