Lithium Ion Scooter Battery?

RGEDad

New to NCL cruiser. Due to deteriorating medical condition, may have to take our Luggie Elite scooter on an upcoming Alaska cruise (NCL Bliss). The scooter is relatively light weight, and foldable, but it does have a Lithium Ion battery. The battery is certified for Flying (10.4 AmpHour and tested). In looking at NCL, it states - "Mobility chairs must be powered by gel-cell batteries. Norwegian Cruise Line will not accept any wet-cell or unsealed acid battery-powered wheelchairs on board the ships that are not FAA approved."

This is virtually the same statement as on other cruise lines we have used, but these same Luggies have been used on those cruise Lines. 

I do not want to get into the situation where I show up at the dock with her scooter and they do not let us board with it.

Question is - Have people used LI powered scooters on NCL ships.

3 hours ago, cruisekitty22 said:

I would call the special needs access desk at NCL and ask.

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Contact NCL's special needs. They can tell you what you need to know.

Yes - they are closed today, I was going to contact them on Monday - I suspect i will be quoted verbatim from their write-up. But like other lines with the same verbiage, what actually is permitted at the docks may be different. i.e. on our last HAL cruise there were 3 Luggie scooters with Lithium Ion batteries and HAL has almost the same restrictions as NCL.  I was just wondering what the actual usage is. 

I called NCL Special Needs yesterday about taking my Luggie Elite 3 Plus on the NCL Bliss. This scooter is foldable, 58 lbs, and has a Lithium Ion Battery (10.4 AmpHour). I was concerned as Lithium Ion battery type was not discussed in their NCL documentation.

Only question the representative asked was if the unit was acceptable to fly with. I stated it was and she stated then it would be fine with NCL. 

I did submit in the notification to NCL special needs form for the scooter personal medical device.

So we are good to go. 

As a side note: I fly with American Airlines. Found out the last time we flew with them they do not allow on-line check-in prior to the flight if you have a scooter - one has to check-in at the desk (Yes -they have a pre-flight special needs form much like the cruise companies - so they know we will have a scooter on the flight). Not an issue with us as we always have baggage to check in anyways, but I have heard rumors (as incredible as it sounds) some people do not have check luggage when going of cruises. Weird I know.

• 3 months later...