How bad leaving from Boston??

jkneern

Wondering how the embarkation in Boston is?  Are they following the Arrival times we book ahead of time or is it a free for all?

My sister and I are taking Mom for our annual Mothers day get away but due to a broken ankle in March she will still need to use a wheelchair.

Just trying to plan accordingly.  Any recent travelers have any input?

1 hour ago, jkneern said:

Wondering how the embarkation in Boston is?  Are they following the Arrival times we book ahead of time or is it a free for all?

My sister and I are taking Mom for our annual Mothers day get away but due to a broken ankle in March she will still need to use a wheelchair.

Just trying to plan accordingly.  Any recent travelers have any input?

When we sailed in April it was a real cluster----.The ship got didn't get in till around 10:30. People were waiting downstairs in the "corral" for hours before being allowed upstairs for security and check-in. Then hours more to board the ship. Our party finally got on at 2:30, 4 1/2 hours after we arrived. Wasn't pleasant.

Now to your situation. I'm sorry to hear of your Mom's broken ankle. But you may come to think of it as a Godsend when you arrive at the terminal.First off, you will be allowed to use the elevator to security, avoiding the looooong lines waiting for the escalator. Once you reach security, you will have an express lane reserved for mobility issues, and those accompanying those folks. Next there is a separate check in line for handicapped, wheelchairs, folks with mobility issues, etc.

After check-in, you'll be directed to the long hallway next to the on-ramp. You will board in the third wave, after havens and suites. Unless you are in a haven or suite, then you'll board first or second!  Good Luck and Happy Cruising!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We went on the Pearl a few weeks ago with my mom in a wheelchair. First, be sure to contact the Accessibility department ahead of time to request the wheelchair assistance boarding (as well as any other aids you might need, like a shower chair, etc) This will then be reflected in your boarding documents. The ramp is quite steep in places, so you will appreciate the assistance.

• As the previous poster said, once you get through the "show your passport and vax info" line you'll be taken to the elevator and be in security immediately. A couple of people came and took my mom through a separate line where they frisked her, while we and the carry ons went through the metal detectors. She was done before the three of us were, and met us on the other side of the metal detectors. After that, there are lines sorting into different categories, but there are plenty of people to direct you. 
  •  

Moving about the ship is pretty easy - there are some metal bars here and there on the carpet that you need to stop and boost the front wheels over before proceeding, but we found it very accessible. We were using a transport chair - if your mom has a regular wheelchair her experience may be different. In most restaurants we were able to tuck the chair beside us near an empty table as there was plenty of room. When room was tight they would move it out of the way after she moved to the table and return it when we were ready to leave. If she prefers to sit in the chair they will simply move the chair and she can roll up to the table.

Since the ships are not sailing at capacity, we nearly always had elevators to ourselves, so none of the jockeying to get on without running over people, or waiting as full elevator after full elevator went by. Very easy in and out.

Edited by DaisyGoldberg
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2022 at 8:39 PM, cruiserbear55 said:

When we sailed in April it was a real cluster----.The ship got didn't get in till around 10:30. People were waiting downstairs in the "corral" for hours before being allowed upstairs for security and check-in. Then hours more to board the ship. Our party finally got on at 2:30, 4 1/2 hours after we arrived. Wasn't pleasant.

Now to your situation. I'm sorry to hear of your Mom's broken ankle. But you may come to think of it as a Godsend when you arrive at the terminal.First off, you will be allowed to use the elevator to security, avoiding the looooong lines waiting for the escalator. Once you reach security, you will have an express lane reserved for mobility issues, and those accompanying those folks. Next there is a separate check in line for handicapped, wheelchairs, folks with mobility issues, etc.

After check-in, you'll be directed to the long hallway next to the on-ramp. You will board in the third wave, after havens and suites. Unless you are in a haven or suite, then you'll board first or second!  Good Luck and Happy Cruising!!

Question. Given that the ship didn't get in til 10:30,  would it be safe to assume, that trying for an 11am flight  after debarkation has a high chance that we would miss it?  Best to schedule a 1:30pm flight out of Logan?  Would hate to stress all week on missing a flight.

Erika

3 hours ago, birdylady said:

Question. Given that the ship didn't get in til 10:30,  would it be safe to assume, that trying for an 11am flight  after debarkation has a high chance that we would miss it?  Best to schedule a 1:30pm flight out of Logan?  Would hate to stress all week on missing a flight.

Erika

I think that's a wonderful idea. With the problems they have had in Beantown this year later would be better, just to be on the safe side. No sense tempting the fates!!

7 minutes ago, cruiserbear55 said:

I think that's a wonderful idea. With the problems they have had in Beantown this year later would be better, just to be on the safe side. No sense tempting the fates!!

Thank you. Appreciate the confirmation.

Erika