I applied for a passport but all I now have is a copy with a stamp on it

KyloRen

Oh boy I think I messed up… I’m Leaving for a 3d from Long Beach to Ensenada next Friday. I applied for a passport cause I’m leaving to (6d cruise) Bermuda in Sept. But when I applied all I got was a copy of my birth cert with a stamp from the city and the original copy of my passport application stapled  together. 

is this going to get me on the boat or do I need to go get another darn copy of my Birth cert? 

anyone have any experience?

Edited by KyloRen

15 minutes ago, KyloRen said:

Oh boy I think I messed up… I’m Leaving for a 3d from Long Beach to Ensenada next Friday. I applied for a passport cause I’m leaving to (6d cruise) Bermuda in Sept. But when I applied all I got was a copy of my birth cert with a stamp from the city and the original copy of my passport application stapled  together. 

is this going to get me on the boat or do I need to go get another darn copy of my Birth cert? 

Your  birth certificate (and any other paperwork you sent in) would come back separate from your passport.  You can check on the status of your passport here:   https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/status.html

However, the copy and your government ID should be enough to get you on the ship. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gypsywych said:

Your  birth certificate (and any other paperwork you sent in) would come back separate from your passport.  You can check on the status of your passport here:   https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/status.html

However, the copy and your government ID should be enough to get you on the ship. 

I was thinking this to! I’ve always just taken my birth cert and i also have a Real ID but id hate to waste money on a piece of paper i don’t need. 
thank you for that link!

Edited by KyloRen

7 hours ago, KyloRen said:

I was thinking this to! I’ve always just taken my birth cert and i also have a Real ID but id hate to waste money on a piece of paper i don’t need. 
thank you for that link!

Your REAL ID means nothing other than identification, it does not verify your citizenship. The copy of your birth certificate should be accepted at check in, since the regulations do specify that one may use the original or a copy. You don't even need the copy of your passport application, so you may bring that or not as you choose.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KyloRen said:

I would always go directly to CBP as that's where it's going to matter.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-74?language=en_US

Title

Documents - Do I need a passport for a cruise?

Summary

Date Published

2/2/2022 3:28 PM

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Moparfiend said:

I would always go directly to CBP as that's where it's going to matter.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-74?language=en_US

Title

Documents - Do I need a passport for a cruise?

Summary

Date Published

2/2/2022 3:28 PM

All well and good but the regulations do not require notarizing copies, which the OP can't do anyway since the copy has already been made. Here is what CCL says and that is clearer than what CBP says (and cruise lines may impose a stricter standard than that required by the regulations but they cannot impose a lesser standard).

Traveling with a Birth Certificate AND Photo Identification

Birth Certificate Information

The following are acceptable:

• An original or copy of a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics
  • A clear, legible copy (photocopy) of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified.
  • Birth Certificate Card
  • A Consular report of Birth Abroad
  • Internationally adopted children (under the age of 18): If the adoptive parent was not issued a birth certificate, we will accept as proof of citizenship, a Certificate of Citizenship by the U.S. and adoption paperwork. A Certificate of Citizenship is issued by the U.S. once the adoption is finalized.
  • Guests may obtain a copy of a birth certificate by contacting: The Department of Health and Vital Statistics at: www.vitalchek.com. If the guest has laminated their birth certificate, it is acceptable.

Birth certificates from Puerto Rico issued prior to July 1, 2010 are not valid forms of proof of citizenship and are not accepted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Guests from Puerto Rico either need to present a WHTI-compliant document or a government-issued photo I.D. with a validated birth certificate issued after July 1, 2010.

This info is found near the bottom of this link: https://www.carnival.com/help

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

All well and good but the regulations do not require notarizing copies, which the OP can't do anyway since the copy has already been made. Here is what CCL says and that is clearer than what CBP says (and cruise lines may impose a stricter standard than that required by the regulations but they cannot impose a lesser standard).

Traveling with a Birth Certificate AND Photo Identification

Birth Certificate Information

The following are acceptable:

• An original or copy of a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics
  • A clear, legible copy (photocopy) of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified.
  • Birth Certificate Card
  • A Consular report of Birth Abroad
  • Internationally adopted children (under the age of 18): If the adoptive parent was not issued a birth certificate, we will accept as proof of citizenship, a Certificate of Citizenship by the U.S. and adoption paperwork. A Certificate of Citizenship is issued by the U.S. once the adoption is finalized.
  • Guests may obtain a copy of a birth certificate by contacting: The Department of Health and Vital Statistics at: www.vitalchek.com. If the guest has laminated their birth certificate, it is acceptable.

Birth certificates from Puerto Rico issued prior to July 1, 2010 are not valid forms of proof of citizenship and are not accepted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Guests from Puerto Rico either need to present a WHTI-compliant document or a government-issued photo I.D. with a validated birth certificate issued after July 1, 2010.

This info is found near the bottom of this link: https://www.carnival.com/help

Yeah I waseven wondering if that "City of San Diego" Stamp they put on this copy made it more Legit. haha 😄 

• Haha 1