Worry Free Promise/Flexible Cancellation vs Cruise Protection Plan

I have booked, but haven't bought a Cruise Protection Plan yet, because according to the Worry Free Promise and Flexible Cancellation plan if I booked by Sep 30 I could cancel for any reason up to 30 days prior and get future cruise credit, and if COVID positive, any time up to departure.

It's my understanding that the main difference is the Cruise Protection Plan would actually reimburse the trip in cash (up to 80% cost) and not FCC, right? I'm just trying to decide if it's worth it to get the CPP when the Flexible Cancellation is in effect.

That was my exact experience earlier this year. I had purchased the Standard HAL Protection Plan for our two cruises. Right before sailing we both tested positive for COVID and we had to cancel. I got back 80% and the other 20% was given as FCCs. 

If you buy third-party insurance rather than the cruise line plan, Covid is covered as any other illness and will be reimbursed at 100% with a properly documented claim.

You may have other reasons for buying cruise line coverage, but you do have options depending on your needs.