How likely could a cruise be cancelled?

I’m thinking of booking on the Magic of Spain cruise for July and just wondered how likely the flights could be cancelled due to the current airport disruptions and TUI cancelling many flights or are cruises still likely to go ahead as they are a complete packaged holiday, just not sure if to risk it or not 🤔

1 hour ago, howmuch! said:

If its before the school holidays in July, I'm sure you should be fine.

Ive just checked, kids break up the week before 🤨 I may just risk it and book, ive not cruised for a few years

Mrs JTS was getting all concerned this morning when reading about flight cancellations and delays.Me,I just go with the flow,whatever will be,will be

Currently from what I,ve read the main problems seem to be from Airports down South and from TUI and Easyjet hubs

Seems to be very little issues up here(🙏🤞it stays that way)and at Edinburgh Airport where we,ll be flying from

Although ours is a TUI package our outbound flight is a BA charter so that might be in our favour.

5 hours ago, Jim The Scot said:

outbound flight is a BA charter so that might be in our favour.

Hi Jim.

Lucky you, The worst part of the whole TUI cruise experience is actually getting to the embarkation port. First of all you have whatever the uk airport decides to throw at you, we have travelled from Birmingham airport twice this year and the last time I was wondering if it was worth all of the hassle. The TUI flights are always pretty much guaranteed to be delayed for some reason, And once on the aircraft it’s pot luck regarding comfortable seats.old aircraft are the worst and the uk fleet seems to have the pick of them.

The only light at the end of the tunnel is the cruise that you are heading towards.

Rant over😤😤😂

Keep well.

Hi B

Not counting our chickens yet even though our outbound flight is with BA and yeah always found getting to embarkation a bit of a drag anyway.We wont feel at ease until our first step on board

Was tracking a TUI flight departure from Edinburgh yesterday heading to Corfu.Due to take off at 15-40 but never took off until 18-05.On our calculations it wouldn,t have arrived in Corfu until Midnightish so anyone on a cruise would be lucky to make the ship which was due to sail at 23-00 until after 1-00 am

Our outbound to Majorca isn,t due in until 19-00 which gives us 3 hrs to get to the ship,grab some food and hit the sail away party 😁 🤞

Edited by Jim The Scot
  • Like 1

Thanks P

Yesterday whilst supping a few refreshments in the summer house  tracked the same flight we,ll be on  in just under 4 weeks

1hr 20 mins late taking off and landed in Palma at 20-05

Later on checked  Discovery 2 which was due to sail at 22-00 on webcam in Palma,still sitting static at midnight when I retired to my bed.Found out later it didnt  set sail till 2-00 am

Edited by Jim The Scot

Jim I am certain you will be OK, if Tui have put you on another carrier they will wait for the flight we have been on many cruises and had to wait, usually Manchester, can fully understand your concerns about fights at the moment, one of the reasons we have reluctantly not returned to cruising, but from our experience they will wait. 🤞

Sadly I have been reading of several flight delays on social media. Most are from Manchester but a few from other airports too. A flight from Glasgow was delayed and the cruise passengers were flown to Palma then on to Malaga and finally joined the ship in Gibraltar losing two days of their cruise.

A couple of days ago there was a long delay on a flight from Leeds to Corfu. The passengers then received a message asking them to return to the carousel to collect there bags as the flight  had been cancelled along with their cruise. This was due to a technical fault and the cruise with flights from other airports went ahead. Some really sad stories. 

We had a delayed flight from Gatwick to the Canaries for an Explorer cruise a few years ago. The plane had a technical problem. They moved us to an hotel overnight and then back to the airport. We ended up on a different island. Luckily with the canaries there are two airports and some flexibility in rearranging flights. My November flight this year is to Tenerife then the ship has a day at sea followed by Funchal. I wonder if they could arrange a flight to Maderia otherwise things could get tricky as I am on a 14 nighter. Then you have the problem of what to do with those expecting to fly home. The plane we finally flew on was an airline i have never heard of.

On 6/5/2022 at 4:01 PM, FIFE1 said:

Hi Jim, the Edinburgh to corfu Friday flight Tui flight for explorer has had a poor record since starting this year. Think it was two hours late leaving in Friday. 

Hi Fife

It was knocking 2 hrs 30

On 6/5/2022 at 4:22 PM, Pensioncruiser said:

Jim I am certain you will be OK, if Tui have put you on another carrier they will wait for the flight we have been on many cruises and had to wait, usually Manchester, can fully understand your concerns about fights at the moment, one of the reasons we have reluctantly not returned to cruising, but from our experience they will wait. 🤞

Yeah,been on a number of cruises where we,ve had to wait also on late flight arrivals.We have also been very fortunate for our cruises as we,ve always had favourable flight times where we have been on board by midday mostly.This is the latest flight we,ve had

On 6/5/2022 at 8:52 PM, Jayneykul said:

Good luck Jim we are having the same dilemma on the 18.6.22 flight from Leeds/Bradford to palma leaving at 14.20 allegedly 

Thanks J and same to you,have great cruise

On 6/6/2022 at 2:54 PM, nancyneptune said:

Sadly I have been reading of several flight delays on social media. Most are from Manchester but a few from other airports too. A flight from Glasgow was delayed and the cruise passengers were flown to Palma then on to Malaga and finally joined the ship in Gibraltar losing two days of their cruise.

A couple of days ago there was a long delay on a flight from Leeds to Corfu. The passengers then received a message asking them to return to the carousel to collect there bags as the flight  had been cancelled along with their cruise. This was due to a technical fault and the cruise with flights from other airports went ahead. Some really sad stories. 

Hi Nancy,

Regards the delayed glasgow flight.Its actually difficult to believe (not for one minute saying it didnt happen)that TUI would put customers through that.Why not just cancel it?

They,d also have to put the cruise passengers into a hotel overnight in either Palma or Malaga and provide some form of compo