Norwegian Cruises

count400@yahoo.com

An additional note: not ALL of the specialty restaurants carry a surcharge. For instance, on the Dawn, Salsa's (Tex-Mex) and La Trattoria (Italian) are both included in your fare, but they do require reservations. At the very least, you'll have the main dining rooms, the buffet and room service - all included.

I hope to go on a cruise this spring and have a question about the dinners on Norwegian ships. I have read that you have to pay at the different restaurants in free style dining. Isn't the food included in the cost of the cruise???
On the Star the'pay' restaurants are:

Cagneys Steakhouse - $20pp

Le Bistro $15pp

Soho $15pp

Teppanyaki $10pp

Those that I tried are certainly worth it

Let me see if I can clear this Freestyle up for you:

Freestyle basically means that you choose your dining experience. You choose WHEN you eat, you choose WHERE you eat, you choose with WHO you eat, you choose WHAT YOU WEAR to eat.

Here we go:

1.) There are no reservations for the main dining rooms. You simply walk up during their operating hours (5:30-9:30) and ask for a table like any shore side restaurant. There may be a wait during the peak times of 6:15-8:30, but usually less than 20 minutes.

2.) You do not have assigned table mates. You can choose to eat with just your family or you can ask to be seated with others if you want to meet new people like on traditional cruises. There is no "Captain's Table" and you most likely will not have the same waiter every night. You can request the same waiter however.

3.) The specialty restaurants require reservations and most have a cover charge of $15-$25 per person. Reservations should be made early.

4.) There is no required Formal night on any NCL ship. There is one OPTIONAL formal night during a 7 day cruise, but only about 40% dress up and those that do range from tuxes to shirt and tie. You can wear "resort casual" to all meals at all times in all venues on NCL ships. Resort casual means no jeans, sweats, warm-up suits, swimming attire, shorts or t-shirts. Most people wear a polo shirt and Kahkis or a nice sundress. That is why I like NCL so much!!

5.) There is no required tipping. $10 per person per day will be added to your onboard account to take care of tips for wait staff and room stewards. A 15% service fee is added to bar and spa tabs. You are certainly welcome to tip additionaly to those who have provided extrodinary service, but it is not necessary.

On the Norwegian Sun, there are four pay speciality restaurants.

They are:

Il Adiago - Italian

East Meets West - Steaks

Le Bristo - French

Ginza - Asian

The following restaurants are free:

Four Seasons

Seven Seas

Pacific Heights

Las Rambas

Garden Cafe

Great Outdoor Cafe