CruiseTour to Alaska questions

Suite Heart

To anyone that has done the NCL land-sea package to Alaska:

During the 6-day land portion, are there excursions offered by NCL? Or is it a do-it-yourself?

How are the hotels that NCL provides for the land portion?

Since the first two nights are in Fairbanks, shall I take a chance and NOT fly in day early, so if something happens with my flight, I can just catch up with the group at the hotel the next day?

And last, but not least, any extra spectacular sights/sites I should be sure to see/visit?

TIA, cruising peeps!

Your land package includes activities - for example, one of the 2 available bus tours in Denali is probably included.  Maybe dog sledding, Alaska pipeline, train tour, riverboat, animal rehab facilities.  The daily description on the NCL website should tell you where you are visiting, depending on your itinerary.  As to other excursions, there were a couple offered when I went - a helicopter ride and river rafting.  You won't really have too much time to arrange things on your own, other than something in the evening.  You will get a detailed itinerary before you leave, with the hotels and potential free-times.

There aren't a lot of hotels to choose from, so just expect adequate.

If you miss your flight I don't see any reason you couldn't catch-up.

How long before we receive an itinerary. We are coming into Fairbanks a day early and we were hoping to book the same hotel the tour uses in Fairbanks. Did you go this year? And if so, what hotel in Fairbanks did they put you up in? Thanks.

Edited by PennyHusted

3 hours ago, PennyHusted said:

How long before we receive an itinerary. We are coming into Fairbanks a day early and we were hoping to book the same hotel the tour uses in Fairbanks. Did you go this year? And if so, what hotel in Fairbanks did they put you up in? Thanks.

It's been almost 3 years since I went, but we stayed at Bear Lodge in Fairbanks.

On 6/1/2022 at 7:31 AM, PennyHusted said:

Are flying in on your own?  We got  an email on May 31 explaining about the deviation program.  I called this morning to arrange to come in the day before to Fairbanks for the land part of the trip.  And was told it wasn't an option for us.  I asked what would happen if the flight arrangements were delayed and he said i could arrange to get on the next available flight.  And, the at least I would get there in time for the important part,  the cruise.  I replied that the reason we booked the Land/cruise was that we WANTED to see the land and not just cruise.  His reply was that we could possibly request a partial refund if we missed anything.  Checking the flight arrivals in Fairbanks for the start of the trip, I could only find 2 arrivals 7 & 8:30 pm with others coming in the next day.  This is why we wanted to come in a day early.  Not happy

10 minutes ago, PennyHusted said:

We have already booked a hotel in Fairbanks for the night before. They can’t stop us from doing that. Are you on the 6/25 sailing?

No our Land trip starts Aug 26 with the Cruise starting late on  Aug.29th. The email we got speaking to the deviation part said could be added up to 75 days out.  Not sure who really runs the land part, I'm one who likes more information than the few bullet points on the website. The land part sure seems like an after thought.

Edited by Nanabev9

5 hours ago, PennyHusted said:

We have already booked a hotel in Fairbanks for the night before. They can’t stop us from doing that. Are you on the 6/25 sailing?

5 hours ago, Nanabev9 said:

No our Land trip starts Aug 26 with the Cruise starting late on  Aug.29th. The email we got speaking to the deviation part said could be added up to 75 days out.  Not sure who really runs the land part, I'm one who likes more information than the few bullet points on the website. The land part sure seems like an after thought.

Thanks for taking the time to post these.  They are the listed cruises that we used to select from.  I just wish we'd know if there is going to be some sort of welcome on the arrival day and what time that would be. From the way the flights seem to be into Fairbanks, we very easily could arrive in the middle of the night. That's why, after receiving an email on May 31 about the flight deviation, I tried to have them let us  fly in a day early but it seems it's only available for the cruises.  Guess I made a mistake letting NCL arrange our flight.    What time the travel days would start - expected end of day - free time. Things like that. I know things can change but they should have estimations for each day.

20 minutes ago, Nanabev9 said:

Thanks for taking the time to post these.  They are the listed cruises that we used to select from.  I just wish we'd know if there is going to be some sort of welcome on the arrival day and what time that would be. From the way the flights seem to be into Fairbanks, we very easily could arrive in the middle of the night. That's why, after receiving an email on May 31 about the flight deviation, I tried to have them let us  fly in a day early but it seems it's only available for the cruises.  Guess I made a mistake letting NCL arrange our flight.    What time the travel days would start - expected end of day - free time. Things like that. I know things can change but they should have estimations for each day.

I took a cruisetour in 2019 - sometime prior to the trip (I did the land part first, from Anchorage) they sent out a link to a very detailed information packet, I think there was a link in my account so you might want to check your messages in your account.

Tour days were probably leave 7-8am, back to hotel 4-5pm but that would obviously depend on your itinerary. Our tour guide was at the hotel when I checked in, so just filled people in on the details as they arrived, don't think we actually had a group meeting (we had a very small group).

Hotel in Fairbanks on that trip was Bear Lodge.  They had a shuttle to town (Fred Meyers) if you need to get anything and a big field where you could see Northern Lights if applicable.

Thanks for the info.  We are starting in Fairbanks.  I keep checking the app - messages only has things about the  cruise. It has nothing about the land tour and  on "my plans" it has the land days listed as  "at sea".  Strange.  

On 5/31/2022 at 8:47 PM, Suite Heart said:

To anyone that has done the NCL land-sea package to Alaska:

During the 6-day land portion, are there excursions offered by NCL? Or is it a do-it-yourself?

How are the hotels that NCL provides for the land portion?

Since the first two nights are in Fairbanks, shall I take a chance and NOT fly in day early, so if something happens with my flight, I can just catch up with the group at the hotel the next day?

And last, but not least, any extra spectacular sights/sites I should be sure to see/visit?

TIA, cruising peeps!

We are leaving for a 5 day pre cruise land tour in two weeks.  Once you complete the online check-in (21 days prior), you will receive a digital booklet that lists a detailed itinerary for each day.  Your cruise e-documents will list the hotel that you will be staying in each night.  Between both of them, you will have all the information you will need.  It may not help with too much pre-planning before checkin.  We are staying at the Grande Denali Lodge, a Sheraton, and River's Edge Resort in Fairbanks.  All look great to me.  

• Like 1