Any recent reviews of DIY Jeep Tours in Skagway?

CariBear

I booked with this company back in December after seeing good reviews on the boards. I emailed them the other day with a question, but haven't heard anything back yet. Has anyone used DIY Jeep Tours recently? 

Thanks!

We used them last week. Checkin was a breeze, we got an ice chest with our packed meals around the corner from the vehicle pickup.  We drove out to Emerald Lake and back, and hubby returned the Jeep.  We would use them again.

• Like 2

We booked with them last year and the box lunch was good - we ordered the turkey wraps and they came with chips, fruit and water. They also provided a cooler which we definitely appreciated. They will also provide you with a binder that has suggestions for different routes and information about things to see along the way as well as a CD that you can play to accompany your drive. Another great source of information on the Yukon drive is Murray's Guide which you can find by doing an internet search.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

We booked with them last year and the box lunch was good - we ordered the turkey wraps and they came with chips, fruit and water. They also provided a cooler which we definitely appreciated. They will also provide you with a binder that has suggestions for different routes and information about things to see along the way as well as a CD that you can play to accompany your drive. Another great source of information on the Yukon drive is Murray's Guide which you can find by doing an internet search.

so helpful!! Thank you!!

On 6/1/2022 at 7:11 PM, barbeyg said:

We used them last week. Checkin was a breeze, we got an ice chest with our packed meals around the corner from the vehicle pickup.  We drove out to Emerald Lake and back, and hubby returned the Jeep.  We would use them again.

Great to hear!! Did you have to use the ArriveCan app prior to crossing into Canada to Emerald Lake? We would like to make it that far as well. Thanks!!

45 minutes ago, CariBear said:

Great to hear!! Did you have to use the ArriveCan app prior to crossing into Canada to Emerald Lake? We would like to make it that far as well. Thanks!!

We did a separate ArriveCAN, using my husband’s email acct for crossing the border from Skagway.  The border agent only asked for all our passports. However, with Victoria now asking to see the ArriveCAN scan, possibly they are asking there as well. 

We drove to Emerald Lake. It was beautiful. 🙂

On 6/5/2022 at 12:34 PM, barbeyg said:

We did a separate ArriveCAN, using my husband’s email acct for crossing the border from Skagway.  The border agent only asked for all our passports. However, with Victoria now asking to see the ArriveCAN scan, possibly they are asking there as well. 

We drove to Emerald Lake. It was beautiful. 🙂

Thank you very much!! Excited about our trip!!

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 8:30 PM, karatemom2 said:

Thanks for the great info!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Avis bought DIY Jeeps and sold off all the Wrangler Jeeps.  So, yesterday, 30 Jun 22, we were offered SUVs. They do have a couple of Jeep Cherokees, which are just a SUV. It’s a bait and switch.  

So, it is just like a car rental.

No iPad.  We got a three ring binder and a thumb drive with a hard to follow narration. The stories were entertaining, but it was hard to figure where we were supposed to be for them. It was a little confusing.

The lunch was ok. A cooler with water and lunch boxes. Sandwich wraps, chips, and cookies.  The veggie wraps had only tomato and lettuce and were very dry. The turkey were a bit better and had cheese 

Would not recommend 

We just got back and rented through Affordable car rental. Nils was great to work with and he had the car waiting at the port. We were given a code and the key was in a lock box on the car. We were able to get an early start and we were the first ones to the dog sled camp of Michelle Phillips. We spent a lot of time learning about the Iditarod and playing with the puppies. Highly recommended.

Tagish Lake Kennel tours, Join Michelle Phillips And Ed Hopkins

Affordable car rental can also pack you a picnic lunch. They own Bites on Broadway in town. We printed out a copy of Murrays guide and did our own thing all day.

We did not get asked for ArriveCan, but make sure you stop at the red light coming through customs.

There was no one there, so we pulled up to the window. I guess that was a big no no.

We parked in town after our drive a shopped for a while, then retuned the car back to the port--no walking required.  Highly recommended!

Skagway Alaska Cruise Rental Cars - Home - Affordable Car Rental (skagwaycarrental.com)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Wedgero said:

Avis bought DIY Jeeps and sold off all the Wrangler Jeeps.  So, yesterday, 30 Jun 22, we were offered SUVs. They do have a couple of Jeep Cherokees, which are just a SUV. It’s a bait and switch.  

No iPad.  We got a three ring binder and a thumb drive with a hard to follow narration. The stories were entertaining, but it was hard to figure where we were supposed to be for them. It was a little confusing.

The lunch was ok. A cooler with water and lunch boxes. Sandwich wraps, chips, and cookies.  The veggie wraps had only tomato and lettuce and were very dry. The turkey were a bit better and had cheese 

Would not recommend 

Oh no! I’ve just emailed this vendor to confirm - but If that’s the case, I’m hoping to switch to a regular car rental. $400 is a lot for a one-day car rental!

13 hours ago, Wedgero said:

Would not recommend 

Such a bummer. We really enjoyed DIY Jeeps in 2019 and were looking forward to renting from them again next summer. 

On 7/1/2022 at 7:17 AM, Cleocruiser said:

We just got back and rented through Affordable car rental. Nils was great to work with and he had the car waiting at the port. We were given a code and the key was in a lock box on the car. We were able to get an early start and we were the first ones to the dog sled camp of Michelle Phillips. We spent a lot of time learning about the Iditarod and playing with the puppies. Highly recommended.

Affordable car rental can also pack you a picnic lunch. They own Bites on Broadway in town. We printed out a copy of Murrays guide and did our own thing all day.

We did not get asked for ArriveCan, but make sure you stop at the red light coming through customs.

There was no one there, so we pulled up to the window. I guess that was a big no no.

We parked in town after our drive a shopped for a while, then retuned the car back to the port--no walking required.  Highly recommended!

Skagway Alaska Cruise Rental Cars - Home - Affordable Car Rental (skagwaycarrental.com)

I was also looking at using them. What kind of car did you get and how was the condition of the car? For now, I have a reservation through Turo.

Oh no, I was about to book with them and see the website was still active.  It was $350 for the jeep.  Did they reimburse for an Avis pricing?  They say the tour is 85 miles with stops.  How's the traffic, any risk on doing this the full day or just take half the tour and back?  

1 hour ago, darnoc23 said:

Oh no, I was about to book with them and see the website was still active.  It was $350 for the jeep.  Did they reimburse for an Avis pricing?  They say the tour is 85 miles with stops.  How's the traffic, any risk on doing this the full day or just take half the tour and back?  

No reimbursement.  It was the SUV or nothing.  We booked through their website.  It still came with a short narration on a USB, a three bring binder describing the route, water, and sad box lunches in a cooler.

It was tight doing it from the RCCL Quantum due to the tendering restrictions.  Only real traffic was the holdup getting back into the US.  

It was lovely, but it was not the Jeep experience we were looking forward to. 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 10:24 AM, gvgseg said:

I was also looking at using them. What kind of car did you get and how was the condition of the car? For now, I have a reservation through Turo.

We were given a choice from three types of SUVs. We choose the Jeep Cherokees.  They were in good shape, if a tad dented up on the outside.  
kinda like getting pintos when you paid for mustangs. 

We rented a Jeep the first week in May, we had an awesome excursion, I made a reservation through AVIS website, enjoy the video and subscribe, I will be uploading more on our experience of renting the Jeep and other options available, leave your comments or questions here or on YouTube.

On 7/1/2022 at 9:17 AM, Cleocruiser said:

This is amazing!  I was excited about the jeep but I think I am even more excited about the price of this rental!  What kind of car did you have? Did you do the box lunch?