POM to MIA with kids

amindu

Hi All - I am looking at flight options for our December cruise and there is 11:10am flight out of MIA on Sat Dec 10.  We will have a 1 and 3 year old with us, is this doable or a recipe for disaster?  Only asking as the 1:30pm flight is a $100 more per person.  Thanks. 

It’s not the wisest idea, and something to be very much avoided if you don’t have clear or TSA Pre. And more complicated if you have to deal with car seats and a taxi/Uber/etc, especially if you need two car seats.

If you carried your own bags (carryons and suitcases) off the ship, without needed to worry about car seats or bathroom breaks, you could be at the airport by 8:15 or 8:30, taking the first taxi or having a car service waiting for you. A 10:00 flight would be about as early as I’d want to try, and then only if I had a good plan “B.”

MIA can have long security lines and often has a lot of travelers that aren’t efficient in getting through scanners.

Are you able to do self-debarkation (no checked bags - carry on/off only) and do you have TSA Pre Check? 

If yes, I'd say you'll most likely be fine assuming there's no delays with the ship clearing customs to disembark. I'd recommend just taking a cab or Uber/Lyft and avoid shuttles, etc. For $100/pp with 4 people I personally would accept the risk and book the 11:10am flight.

I sailed back in September with my 9 year old. The ship was cleared to begin disembarkation at 7am. We were through security at MIA before 8am. 

For an 11:10 flight you need to be at MIA by about 9:40 (earlier is better with the typical TSA chaos). On a weekend the taxi/Uber/limo ride from POM to MIA will take about 15+ minutes (you might spend more time installing & uninstalling car seats than it takes for the drive to the airport), which translates into off the ship with bags and clear of customs/immigration by about 9:00.  Carrying your stuff off will help, but with a low number you should be okay.

You didn't mention which ship you are on and that can be helpful.

WIth that said there is risk doing this because of unknowns including delay at Port of Miami and a delay at passport control which does happen and then the unknown at the Miami airport.

I would not do this.

Keith