Medically-Observed Antigen Test

jlnprt

We did an at-home covid test before our cruise in January 2022 and it was very easy. For our upcoming cruise, we will have to be tested after we arrive in Italy (spending some time there before the cruise). If I purchase the at-home test, can I do the "medically supervised" part on my phone (android). I used my laptop for the previous test because we were at home when we did the test. Not planning to lug my laptop on the cruise, although I do have the option of bringing an old iPad or tablet. Also, does anyone have a link to the HAL page that lists approved tests. I've tried, but I can't seem to locate it. Many thanks!!

This list copied from the FAQ for Cruises from Europe page, dated 5/19/22.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions/faq-for-cruises-from-europe.html

Guests must take a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) medically observed, viral test that's either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT).

• Antigen tests include:
    • Rapid antigen
    • Viral antigen
    • Antigen chromatographic digital immunoassay
    • Antigen chemiluminescence immunoassay
    • Antigen lateral flow fluorescence
    •  
  • Nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT) include:
    • Polymerase chain reaction (PCR)
    • Reverse transcription real-time PCR (RT-PCR)
    • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
    • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)
    • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA)
    • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic
    • Isothermal amplification
    • Droplet digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
    • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

Edited by 12cruise2

If you meant which brand of self-test HAL accepts, as of May 19, FAQ for Europe travel:

Vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test (sometimes referred to as an at-home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Please note, antigen tests are accepted for fully vaccinated guests, but not for unvaccinated guests.
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test.

Holland America Line has partnered with Optum, eMed and Radeas so that vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to home. These at-home tests include a telehealth service. Please place your order with enough time to be shipped prior to your boarding. Order your Optum test here* (2-pack for $69.99 or 3-pack for $99.99). Order your Radeas single pack for $45 here*. An eMed 6-pack is available for $150 here*.

I've done an eMed test at a hotel using my phone. It is a little trickier because of having to position the phone so that the test card can be seen while it's developing; the eMed agent suggested placing the phone in landscape position with something behind it to keep it upright.

A caution: if you rely on any self-administered, supervised test, make sure to have an extra test kit. Mine was defective in a way that didn't keep it from working, but did keep eMed from certifying it. 

I didn't have a second test kit, so went to a pharmacy for a test. I was in a country where the test result is loaded to the QR code of your PLF (I had to register for one, because the country doesn't require them for arrival). This does not work for returning to the U.S., because the agents at the airport have no way to scan the QR code and retrieve the result. For this, you need to receive the test result attached to an email message or a text message. It probably wouldn't work for boarding a ship, either.

• Like 1