kids clubs

luv2travel29

My son is 10 1/2 and we are cruising for the first time in April. Not sure if he will want to do the kids clubs but we will def. check them out. Are the kids clubs run by older people or younger? I am assuming all of the employee backgrounds are checked? Thank you!

The, crew members I have seen in the kids club are all young, energetic people!. They mostly have degrees in education and the like so are used to dealing with children! Yes, they all have background checks. My DD loved the kids club couldn't keep her away.

Yes, they have strict background checks. Most of them are in their early 20's (child ed majors).

I totally trust the kids clubs on the ships we've been on. The ONLY question I ever had was when my kids were on an NCCL cruise, the clubs took a "ship tour", my dd was 2 at the time and I didn't want my 2 year old touring the ship. That was just so strange to me :eek:

So I took her out before the tour began.

NCL has a high ratio of female counselors. RCCI has a high ratio of male counselors. I know both of those lines require a minimum of a bachelor's degree (in a "child" field) with 6 years of experience with kids. Most are in their early 20s. We've also done Princess but I don't know what their requirements are - I'd assume they are similar.

Our DD (10YO) really likes the kids programs on-board. A couple of keys - get him introduced to the program early - attend the orientation and at least stop by the first night. Remind him that most of the kids do not know anyone else either, so it's pretty easy to make friends.

On our HI cruise, our DD made friends on the second-to-the-last day with another 10YO while we were on a ships excursion. The other girl had not gone to the kid's program because she thought it would be 'lame' - she wanted to play with my daughter that evening and DD said she was going to the kid's program because it was 'teen club' night. Other girl agreed to go to the program with DD - and she LOVED it.

Archived