Riga - Royal Caribbean

On 6/12/2022 at 4:44 AM, SimplyMarvie said:

Hiya! I'm a US expat living in Riga. I suspect the issue is that the Daugava isn't deep enough at the bridge for bigger ships to get in to the closer terminal. It's a pretty silty, brackish river. We do get some of the smaller MSC ships that close in, but even then it's a bit tough. 

You can always do the cruise line shuttle, but both public transport (https://www.rigassatiksme.lv/, which is available in English) and cabs are safe and easy throughout Riga. You'll want to download the Bolt taxi app before you leave, but just drop a pin where you are and they will come and pick you up. You can pay with credit card through the app, or cash to the driver.

Do watch the traffic, though! There are only two main bridges in Riga, so traffic during rush hour can get VERY backed up. 

The public transportation link you posted isn't working, do you have any tips/info on what this would involve?  Trams? Busses?  We love trying local transportation when we travel and would be open to taking it from the port to the city center if it's an option.  Thanks so much!

22 hours ago, CruiseMelissa said:

The public transportation link you posted isn't working, do you have any tips/info on what this would involve?  Trams? Busses?  We love trying local transportation when we travel and would be open to taking it from the port to the city center if it's an option.  Thanks so much!

Public transport at the KS port itself is not an option.

It is a restricted area. (seriously a hard hat area with no proper roads)

Shuttle buses are free and frequent provided by Riga Tourist bureau and managed by Royal staff (at both ends)

It drops you at Polu gate. From there old town is quite walkable.

If you need to go somewhere (like art nuovo district), rideshare is extremely cheap and convenient and does not involve any pickpocket risks.

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2022 at 11:34 AM, pghflyer said:

We did the bike tour from this company, and they were great (they don't cover old town OR the central market on the bike tour, so definitely don't miss those in your spare time):

https://www.rigafreetours.com/

thank you thank you!  This is amazing!  I was just wondering if we should book a tour vs booking RC excursions but couldn't stomach the thought of letting RC rip us off more.  We are sailing in 25 days so the thought of having to research all private tour options in every single one of the 9 ports is really unappealing!  so this is really, really helpful, thank you!

I just booked both the 10 am tour and the noon tour, so 1h45min + 2h30min back to back.  I hope my 10 year old daughter would be able to handle that amount of walking?   (plus possible ship-to-main gate hike... and possibly standing in line for a long time to get onto the shuttle leaving the ship).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hal2008 said:

Public transport at the KS port itself is not an option.

It is a restricted area. (seriously a hard hat area with no proper roads)

Shuttle buses are free and frequent provided by Riga Tourist bureau and managed by Royal staff (at both ends)

It drops you at Polu gate. From there old town is quite walkable.

If you need to go somewhere (like art nuovo district), rideshare is extremely cheap and convenient and does not involve any pickpocket risks.

Thanks so much!

• 6 months later...

I will be on Ms Rotterdam on September 28th.  I've tried to find from the port schedule whether we will be docked at Krievu Terminal (which I suspect we will because the ship is 297m in length}.  Somehow I can't get to the right area to find the schedule with docking spots.  Can someone direct me to the link?

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2023 at 7:48 AM, dolche said:

I will be on Ms Rotterdam on September 28th.  I've tried to find from the port schedule whether we will be docked at Krievu Terminal (which I suspect we will because the ship is 297m in length}.  Somehow I can't get to the right area to find the schedule with docking spots.  Can someone direct me to the link?

We are on the Nieuw Statendam in July and are also looking for a link or information on where it docks.  Have you found out anything?