Chacchoben: Native Choice or Celebrity?

carolina_yankee

We will be in Costa Maya mid-November and want to do the 4 hour Chcchoben excursion. Given we have a fair amount of on-board credit, we are considering taking Celebrity's version, but generally prefer using local vendors directly if we have a sense the experience will be better. This is also a relaxation cruise for us, so we are generally looking at 1/2 day excursions to maximize ship time.

For those who have done Celebrity or Royal Caribbean (assuming the tours would be similar),  how crowded were they and how good were the guides?

For those who have used Native Choice - how long should we budget for the walk from the ship to their location? Their guides sound pretty informed - is that the case? Size of groups and comfort of vehicle? They seem well recommended and a class act.

Thanks for any tips or experiences you can give!

On 6/10/2022 at 12:20 PM, carolina_yankee said:

We will be in Costa Maya mid-November and want to do the 4 hour Chcchoben excursion. Given we have a fair amount of on-board credit, we are considering taking Celebrity's version, but generally prefer using local vendors directly if we have a sense the experience will be better. This is also a relaxation cruise for us, so we are generally looking at 1/2 day excursions to maximize ship time.

For those who have done Celebrity or Royal Caribbean (assuming the tours would be similar),  how crowded were they and how good were the guides?

For those who have used Native Choice - how long should we budget for the walk from the ship to their location? Their guides sound pretty informed - is that the case? Size of groups and comfort of vehicle? They seem well recommended and a class act.

Thanks for any tips or experiences you can give!

I’ve done Native’s Choice twice. Hands down I would do them again. It’s about a 25 or so minute walk from leaving the ship (if you don’t take the pier shuttle) to their office, 15 minutes or so for pier and port area and 10 or so minutes once you exit the port. They drop you off right outside the port area so it’s a shorter walk back. They do an excellent job explaining how to get there. One time it was an air conditioned bus, another time air conditioned van. Both very comfortable. Had water to keep you hydrated.

First time just ruins and about 25 people (pre-pandemic). Second time ruins plus authentic Mayan meal, there were 8 of us (March 2022). The last time with the meal was easily one of the best excursions we’ve ever done, and sailed quite a bit. The food and cultural experience was unforgettable (though it is a much longer day, but the meal part was very low key and relaxing). You make your own tortilla from scratch, eat an authentic meal made from scratch using all ingredients grown in the garden where you are eating (the hibiscus drink was particularly memorable), while they explain what all the trees and plants are, and how they’re used. And it’s not a tourist trap, either, felt very authentic. 

Both times the guides were excellent, responsive, and could answer any questions you asked. Also moved at a pace to avoid any crowds from others coming. They are very observant of time and you feel confident the whole time you will get back to the ship with time to spare. I understand if you have the ship credit, but again I can’t more highly recommend Native’s Choice!

Edited by jas283a
Add details
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2022 at 5:34 PM, jas283a said:

I’ve done Native’s Choice twice. Hands down I would do them again. It’s about a 25 or so minute walk from leaving the ship (if you don’t take the pier shuttle) to their office, 15 minutes or so for pier and port area and 10 or so minutes once you exit the port. They drop you off right outside the port area so it’s a shorter walk back. They do an excellent job explaining how to get there. One time it was an air conditioned bus, another time air conditioned van. Both very comfortable. Had water to keep you hydrated.

First time just ruins and about 25 people (pre-pandemic). Second time ruins plus authentic Mayan meal, there were 8 of us (March 2022). The last time with the meal was easily one of the best excursions we’ve ever done, and sailed quite a bit. The food and cultural experience was unforgettable (though it is a much longer day, but the meal part was very low key and relaxing). You make your own tortilla from scratch, eat an authentic meal made from scratch using all ingredients grown in the garden where you are eating (the hibiscus drink was particularly memorable), while they explain what all the trees and plants are, and how they’re used. And it’s not a tourist trap, either, felt very authentic. 

Both times the guides were excellent, responsive, and could answer any questions you asked. Also moved at a pace to avoid any crowds from others coming. They are very observant of time and you feel confident the whole time you will get back to the ship with time to spare. I understand if you have the ship credit, but again I can’t more highly recommend Native’s Choice!

Thank you for the review! We are very likely to go with Native Choice as a result - the cost savings is quite significant and it seems like it would be a better experience. 

5 minutes ago, carolina_yankee said:

Thank you for the review! We are very likely to go with Native Choice as a result - the cost savings is quite significant and it seems like it would be a better experience. 

Our guide was Edder and our driver was Miguel. Say hi if you happen to see them, you’ll have a great time. 

• Like 1

I would highly recommend Native Choice Tours. Very professional and informative. 

You mention wanting relaxation. I would suggest looking at the Mayan Extreme Tour with Native Choice. There is nothing “extreme” about it, but it combines the Chachobben Ruins Tour with a stop for lunch and relaxing on the Bacalar Lagoon. They had kayaks, paddle boards, loungers, etc. that you could use for about an hour after lunch.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/21/2022 at 1:56 PM, JT1962 said:

I would highly recommend Native Choice Tours. Very professional and informative. 

You mention wanting relaxation. I would suggest looking at the Mayan Extreme Tour with Native Choice. There is nothing “extreme” about it, but it combines the Chachobben Ruins Tour with a stop for lunch and relaxing on the Bacalar Lagoon. They had kayaks, paddle boards, loungers, etc. that you could use for about an hour after lunch.

We did a tour three years ago and loved it that was the ruins and lunch with a family.  I'm curious though, I've reached out to them three times in the last two weeks to book a trip for December, but haven't heard back?

16 hours ago, Jayhawk said:

We did a tour three years ago and loved it that was the ruins and lunch with a family.  I'm curious though, I've reached out to them three times in the last two weeks to book a trip for December, but haven't heard back?

i was in Costa Maya yesterday and the taxi passes their offic, but they looked empty. There was one van parked behind the office building. It’s possible they closer temporarily for the slow season. Maya Chan closed for a few months for renovations because it is the slow season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We used Native Choice while on a Royal Caribbean ship sailing from Galveston. We were unaware that the local time was different than ship time and missed our tour. The company was kind enough to find us seats (5!) on the tour that included the meal option mentioned above. Unfortunately, my husband became violently ill and will never get off the ship in Costa Maya again.