Intro 2023 Mediterranean's Iconic Shores Question

Vagabond51

The wife and I recently used our vouchers from a canceled (we pulled the plug) May 2022 Budapest Amsterdam river cruise to secure passage on the May 2023 sailing of Viking Star, 29 days, Istanbul Barcelona. Most of our lives we have traveled as independents, doing a great deal of homework pre trip and trying to avoid the crowds and get a bit off the beaten path. This trip will be quite a departure from our norm, but we are willing to “go with the flow” for a package tour. With the world turned upside down, we decided to wrap ourselves in the Viking cocoon and “giverago”. I’ve spent a bit of time reading through the posts here, about three months back and still going, bookmarking the best and pertinent for our trip to begin planning. What a great resource! A sincere THANK YOU to those who took, and continue to take, time to pass on helpful info for all.

I guess my first inquiry has to do with the ability to overnight away from the Viking Sky in ports with more than one day stay, notably Athens, Venice and Florence. We have been to both Rome and Florence before and we know what we want to see this time around and have done extensive research for Venice, but not Athens.

Do we have the option of getting off at these ports, secure our own transport into the city and staying at a hotel and “doing our own thing” until we depart?

BTW, hopefully we can contribute to the resources here regarding Alaska. My wife was born there, (after 40 years she still refers to be as an “import”). We spent our careers there, and now live in a much more warmer climate.

Also… and I know this may sound a bit goofy, but have any golfers out there ever found a 7 iron or a putter in the gym onboard? Thirty days without swinging a golf club I may have serious behavioral issues.

Look forward to making new friends and helping where we can. Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Vagabond51 said:

The wife and I recently used our vouchers from a canceled (we pulled the plug) May 2022 Budapest Amsterdam river cruise to secure passage on the May 2023 sailing of Viking Star, 29 days, Istanbul Barcelona. Most of our lives we have traveled as independents, doing a great deal of homework pre trip and trying to avoid the crowds and get a bit off the beaten path. This trip will be quite a departure from our norm, but we are willing to “go with the flow” for a package tour. With the world turned upside down, we decided to wrap ourselves in the Viking cocoon and “giverago”. I’ve spent a bit of time reading through the posts here, about three months back and still going, bookmarking the best and pertinent for our trip to begin planning. What a great resource! A sincere THANK YOU to those who took, and continue to take, time to pass on helpful info for all.

I guess my first inquiry has to do with the ability to overnight away from the Viking Sky in ports with more than one day stay, notably Athens, Venice and Florence. We have been to both Rome and Florence before and we know what we want to see this time around and have done extensive research for Venice, but not Athens.

Do we have the option of getting off at these ports, secure our own transport into the city and staying at a hotel and “doing our own thing” until we depart?

BTW, hopefully we can contribute to the resources here regarding Alaska. My wife was born there, (after 40 years she still refers to be as an “import”). We spent our careers there, and now live in a much more warmer climate.

Also… and I know this may sound a bit goofy, but have any golfers out there ever found a 7 iron or a putter in the gym onboard? Thirty days without swinging a golf club I may have serious behavioral issues.

Look forward to making new friends and helping where we can. Thanks!

Not to worry golfer.  There is putting green on Deck 8 outside.  Clubs provided but dont know which.  Thats about all with which i can help you.

We are booked for a Med B2B next year. We have been to Florence and Rome and we are toying with the idea of getting off in Florence and travelling by train to Naples and meeting up with the ship there. At the moment my understanding is that it is okay as long as you let Viking know your plans. That is a must. 

5 hours ago, Vagabond51 said:

We did Iceland last summer with Viking. One couple arrived early so that they could play a round on the course in Akureyri, the northernmost course they have ever played. Have you considered figuring out how to play a round along your route? Or is this suggestion going to get me into trouble with your other half?

I would pose this question directly to Viking. Don't use the call center. Contact them via tellus@vikingcruises.com. Include your booking number and a phone number in your e-mail.

Most of our lives we have traveled as independents, doing a great deal of homework pre trip and trying to avoid the crowds and get a bit off the beaten path.

There is no reason why you can't continue to do this on your Viking cruise. The ship is the hotel/transportation bringing you to a new port to explore every day. How you spend your time in port is up to you. You can take advantage of the tours that Viking offers or you can strike out on your own completely. Now that cruise ships are no longer required to maintain a bubble, your only restriction is your "back on board" time.  And, on my goodness, have you chosen a fabulous journey for exploring.

• 2 months later...

Marie and I have just booked this cruise from the first of May,

spending a few days before in Istanbul.

Re “VAGABONDS” question, we too have been thinking of spending some time in aVenice hotel.

At the moment the ship will moor 1.5 hrs from Venice and will be there almost 2.5 days. 

Arriving 12 pm 14 may and leaving 5 pm 16 May good for 2 night stay.

However there have been some discussions in letting the ships moor in the lagoon closer and using tenders, in that case we would use hotel Viking Star.

12 hours ago, herman3 said:

Update,

Both viking STAR, and Viking Sea are mooring at

Venice (Marghera, Italy) which is about 15 minutes by car to Venice

Herman3 or anyone else, I thought I had read that the cruise port in Marghera has water transportation into Venice for cruisers. Does anyone know if this is correct? Thanks so much

Marghera is an industrial port. No taxi’s.  Viking do not use their tenders. You have to be transported by Viking shuttles.

embarkation is at the old cruise terminal at Tronchetto. Viking will transport you to and from Marghera by shuttle bus.

look at Google maps to understand the geography

• 3 weeks later...