Pre covid testing

Button14

I am fully vaccinated and am going on an MSC cruise departing from Palma and have to take an antigen within 24 hours of the cruise departing.

I have been reading on MSC website that tests are going to be done before boarding.

Is this true and why are passengers having to pay for testing then getting another test done by MSC ?

1 hour ago, Button14 said:

I am fully vaccinated and am going on an MSC cruise departing from Palma and have to take an antigen within 24 hours of the cruise departing.

I have been reading on MSC website that tests are going to be done before boarding.

Is this true and why are passengers having to pay for testing then getting another test done by MSC ?

Where are you from?  The Med cruises have required testing up to 2 days prior for US citizens.  The USA site says additional tests may be done at embarkation or on board, but I don't know anything about that. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 10:44 PM, Button14 said:

A follow-up on this would be greatly appreciated. I have been on 2 MSC cruises during COVID periods, and the antigen test was always done at the terminal by MSC. Is this still the case for people who have recently embarked on a Mediterranean cruise? Thank you

@LeCommandant We cruised from Naples last month and MSC did NOT do testing. We had to provide our own test. It was up to 48 hours prior. We purchased kits and then went on-line to have them proctored while we did the test and then they sent us an Email with the results to show MSC.

13 minutes ago, mnpurple said:

@LeCommandant We cruised from Naples last month and MSC did NOT do testing. We had to provide our own test. It was up to 48 hours prior. We purchased kits and then went on-line to have them proctored while we did the test and then they sent us an Email with the results to show MSC.

Thanks a lot for your help. I will do the antigen test prior to embarkation 😉 

We are sailing out of Copenhagen in September

MSC webpage says we have to have a negative Covid Test 48 hours prior to boarding. I then downloaded the Zoe App which states MSC do the Antigen Tests. Contacted MSC who advised they no longer do Antigen Tests and we were responsible for our own Testing.

I strongly advised them to alter the info on the App so as not to have Cruisers rock up untested 

From a UK perspective they simply require you to do a lateral flow test (antigen test) that is then "officially" signed off. Randox is a pretty common one being used in the UK. They really are very much trusting you to do the test correctly as the "official" signoff is simply confirming you've uploaded the results of that test and they are negative.

In may on a med cruise we had to do an 'official' test max. 48 hours before departure on our own costs and had a test at the terminal on MSC costs plus my 8 yo had to do a test halfway during the cruise (after we left the EU and returned to Italy) onboard on MSC costs because she isn't vaccinated.

56 minutes ago, sealynx said:

In may on a med cruise we had to do an 'official' test max. 48 hours before departure on our own costs and had a test at the terminal on MSC costs plus my 8 yo had to do a test halfway during the cruise (after we left the EU and returned to Italy) onboard on MSC costs because she isn't vaccinated.

Rules are changing rapidly and I think even between region MSC may differ or they have not have updated procedures on the various websites and apps. At the moment it's pretty clear MSC are not testing prior to embarkation. You have to do a test and get a certificate of proof prior to embarking. You also have to had vacinations or proof you've recovered from covid in last 6 months (I think). 

• 3 weeks later...

I purchase my antigen tests from Qured and they arrive in less than 2 days. You pay for a video consultation and you get your results emailed within 2 hours. You show your negative test certificate before boarding the cruise. No other test is done at port.