Japan Excursions

BobCatter

Has anyone done the Yabakei Gorge excursion from Beppu? It looks like the ride is about an hour to the gorge, but do you have time int he gorge to walk around and explore at all?

Is the floating shrine worth the trip out there from Hiroshima? Is it something you can do on your own?

Any comments advice about what to see in Kyoto? There are a few options and I don't know what sights are 'can't miss'

Thanks.

57 minutes ago, BobCatter said:

Has anyone done the Yabakei Gorge excursion from Beppu? It looks like the ride is about an hour to the gorge, but do you have time int he gorge to walk around and explore at all?

Is the floating shrine worth the trip out there from Hiroshima? Is it something you can do on your own?

Any comments advice about what to see in Kyoto? There are a few options and I don't know what sights are 'can't miss'

Thanks.

We did Kyoto and Hiroshima independently after a transpacific cruise on another line. All of this was pre-COVID so I suspect it will be more difficult now. I know I just saw an article that Japan has just increased the number of visas allowed per day but it is still MUCH lower than before the pan-Dammit. 

in Kyoto, we enjoyed visiting the Imperial Palace. We also did a “Free Walking Tour” that took us through the Gion District. We timed it to also visit the Geisha Center and attended their presentation. But the highlight of Kyoto (other than the food) was visiting the Fushi Inari Shrine and seeing the thousand gates. We went so we arrived just after the sun set so most everyone was leaving. Made it much nicer than with the thousands of people there. 

We did a day trip on the train from Kyoto to Hiroshima. We hd a “goodwill” guide there. If that program is back up and running we highly recommend it whenever possible. You pay only for the guide’s transportation (ours had a monthly pass so we didn’t have to even pay that), admission, and any meals. It was a great way to see the sights and get to know someone. We visited the Peace Park, the Toriji  Gates (I think maybe this is the floating park you mentioned) and had lunch. 

If you want more details on what we did, you can read my blog starting here: https://cruisinwithclay.wordpress.com/2019/10/13/kyoto-day-1/

Have a great time-we loved Japan and Kyoto especially!