Allianz & Alzheimer's

Vertygo

I had purchased a policy from Allianz that included pre-existing conditions in 2019 for what ended up being the 4/22 Regatta Tahiti/LA cruise. Unfortunately, my husband's Alzheimer's advanced in that time so that we could no longer travel & had to cancel.

Allianz initially denied my claim, citing a clause on page 23 of the contract stating "mental & emotional issues including Alzheimer's" aren't covered. Obviously, Alzheimer's is a neurological illness, not a mental or emotional condition.

After getting nowhere with Allianz customer service, I filed a review request with the California insurance office and received an e-mail yesterday that "after further review" they now realize Alzheimer's is a neurological condition & are paying the entire claim.

2 take-always from my experience-

- Read the entire contract. I should have picked this up initially & questioned it before committing.

- Don't give up. Right is right & getting a government agency with clout involved may help. I just wonder how many people in a similar situation give up with the initial denial. Washington state has a lawsuit involving 400 people against Allianz for the same issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good job staying with it. Sometimes you do have to push back and/or appeal to higher authorities

Just goes to prove that travel insurance companies WILL pay out for VALID claims.

• Thanks 1