Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic) dive shop recommandation

Pat.D

Will be sailing the Getaway twice back to back to the eastern Caribbean next month and am looking for a dive shop in/near Puerto Plata (or most likely Amber Cove port as previous cruises seem to be switching to that port).

Thanks!

Pat

• 2 months later...
On 7/2/2022 at 4:49 PM, Pat.D said:

Will be sailing the Getaway twice back to back to the eastern Caribbean next month and am looking for a dive shop in/near Puerto Plata (or most likely Amber Cove port as previous cruises seem to be switching to that port).

Thanks!

Pat

@Pat.D

Did you have any success finding a dive operator for Puerta Plata?

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv

1 hour ago, Capt_BJ said:

ya know if ya just google it about a half dozen places pop up  ... at lease one is PADI 5 star

a couple have trip advisor reviews (if you trust those)

I actually have heard of this Google you mention.  But thanks for the suggestion.  🙂

What I've run into is the shops that show up are not actually operating out of Puerto Plata, but instead require lengthy cab rides to their actual locations. 

Harris

Denver, CO

9 hours ago, omeinv said:

Did you have any success finding a dive operator for Puerta Plata?

Nope... emailed many but found out almost all the active dive shops are across the island (2hrs cab ride away).  A few are listed on google around Puerto-Plata but don't offer diving (they are just hotel rental kiosks operated by the dive shops across the island).

SeaPro divers did have availability but they are across the island and taxi there is at least $120.  Diwa Dominica is closer but required we booked a large group. 

I ended up not diving in the DR.  I went snorkeling the first week of my B2B and did not get off the ship the second week (the place where we snorkeled was covered in trash both under water and floating on the water... we literally swam thu floating garbage, it was GROSS). 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pat.D said:

Nope... emailed many but found out almost all the active dive shops are across the island (2hrs cab ride away).  A few are listed on google around Puerto-Plata but don't offer diving (they are just hotel rental kiosks operated by the dive shops across the island).

SeaPro divers did have availability but they are across the island and taxi there is at least $120.  Diwa Dominica is closer but required we booked a large group. 

I ended up not diving in the DR.  I went snorkeling the first week of my B2B and did not get off the ship the second week (the place where we snorkeled was covered in trash both under water and floating on the water... we literally swam thu floating garbage, it was GROSS). 

Thanks Pat,

That's exactly what I've found too.  We'll find something else to do there. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That's discouraging about the trash.  We'll be in Puerto Plata in early December (Celebrity Constellation), are thinking about taking a taxi to Playa Sosua, it sounds like there's some reasonable off-the-beach snorkeling there.  Does anyone know?  Thanks!

--Jon