One Day in LA

LSM1018

We are flying into Los Angeles for our Vision cruise on Saturday (March 18th), giving us one day in LA. The plane gets is at 11:35, so we have almost an entire day. I would love to hear any suggestions on how to spend the day to the fullest. What to do, and what NOT to do. I have a hotel in Hollywood picked out for that night, so we can do the Walk of Fame, Chinese Theatre thing after dinner. Thanks in advance!

take a drive down sunset Blvd. to HWY 1 to see the beach in Malibu. Then go to Gladstones 4 Fish(the name of the restaurant) It is located on the corner of Suinset Blvd. and Hwy 1 You a can go to the Beverly Center(Mall) that is located on Lacienaga and Sunset BLVD. Go browse around Rodeo Dr. and Beverly Hills.:D

Can you give us a little more info. on your interests? For me, I wouldn't recommend Hollywood Walk of Fame. You're bound to be disappointed with this. The Kodak Theater complex is good though. Nice shopping area and restaurants.

We will have our 20 and 23 yo kids with us. So, I would say something touristy. The suggestions above are good.

Thanks again!

We stayed at the Hollywood Renaissance Hotel.............it is in the midst of things.........we walked around plus caught a sightseeing tour bus right there............touristy for sure(See the Stars Homes plus local sites)........

In May,we are also going on the Vision.............flying in the day before.....we'll get in around 10am..........we have a hotel booked for Long Beach......thinking of going to Catalina or just seeing the local sites(QM,for one)................

Or we might stay in Hollywood.........

OR do anyone "locals" suggest another town to stay in(one of the beach ones??)..........we could always rent a car...........

We stayed in Long Beach, so as to be close to the terminal in San Pedro; last week we went down to the Marina area in Long Beach (Shoreline Village area) and rented Segways and zipped around their extensive bike trail area at the waterfront. What a blast! We stayed at the Hilton Long Beach, but the Hyatt was in a better spot so I would recommend there.

Lots of fun things to do down there at the waterfront, but the Segways were the best. We even came back the next day ('cuz the Vision was getting fixed in the harbor and we didn't leave until Mon at 5) and did it again (zooming to some other sites)!

There is also a huge aquarium and the Queen Mary there. They have a Marilyn Monroe exhibit and a Titanic exhibit at the Queen Mary.

We are flying into Los Angeles for our Vision cruise on Saturday (March 18th), giving us one day in LA. The plane gets is at 11:35, so we have almost an entire day. I would love to hear any suggestions on how to spend the day to the fullest. What to do, and what NOT to do. I have a hotel in Hollywood picked out for that night, so we can do the Walk of Fame, Chinese Theatre thing after dinner. Thanks in advance!

Where to begin?

First, if your plane gets into LAX at 11:35 am, you really don't "have almost an entire day"...By the time you get off the plane, collect your luggaage and (I assume) pick up a rental car and drive to Hoolywood and check into your hotel, you are likely going to be at "midafternoon" before you step out...

I would NOT recommend driving all the way from Hollywood to Malibu on Sunset Boulevard...though an intersting ride, it will take you a LONG time...

Beverly Center is really just a shopping mall (I'm sure you have them at home) and is actually South of Sunset by a few blocks...

I'm not a big fan of "Hollywood" proper...it's sort of scuzzy and run down...If you're in the "DowntownHollywood" area, you can't avouid the "Walk of Fame"--it's just a bunch of stars in the sidewalk all along Hollywood Blvd. and down Vine Street...Parts of it are right near Hollywood and Highland--So that location is good enough to visit--it's the same block as the Kodak Theater and Graumann's (Mann's) Chinese...

You may want to visit Rodeo Drive on the way up from the Airport...then drive through Beverly Hills (take the residential streets between Santa Monica Blvd. as you leave Rodeo Drive and Sunset, then right on Sunset through West Hollywood (the "Sunset Strip") and into Hollywood...Check in to your hotel then head back to Hollywood and Highland and all that...Then head up to Universal City to the "CityWalk"...It's Universal Studio's free area--shops and restaurants mostly...You might try doing dinner at Miceli's on Cahuenga in the Universal City area--Great show by the singing waiters...

Another shot might be to see if they're taping anything at NBC in Burbank or at CBS in the Fairfax District...If you want to see a truly interesting shopping Center, visit the Grove next to CBS on Fairfax...it's truly unique...You could hit that right after the Airport (head north on La Cienega out of the Airport, just after Jefferson, you bear right on Fairfax and straight up to 3rd and Fairfax...afterwards, you'd continue right up Fairfax to Hollywood) and eat lunch there at Wood Ranch BBQ--one of my favorites...

Good luck...

You guys are GREAT. I knew this was the place for info. The kids would probably love the rollerblades, but I plan on being on the ship Sunday, not in the hospital. We may let them rollerblade and we can sight-see.

Everyone's suggestions are wonderful.

The hotel is in walking distance to Hollywood and Highland, so we could do that later at night. We could skip the Walk of Fame and hit the Chinese and Kodak Theaters. Should we stay in Santa Monica instead of Hollywood? I considered that first. Would it be easier to get to Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills, and Malibu from there?

Do the studios tape anything on Saturday? We saw The Daily Show taping in NYC, and it was a blast. Guest star was Tim Robbins. I thought I was gonna die.:p

I guess one day in LA is not anyway near enough time. After the cruise, we are driving to Vegas, spending 2 night there, and flying home. The kids really wanted to see it, too.

What a vacation! LA, a cruise, and Vegas. Pinch me! Thanks again, everyone.

We stayed in Long Beach, so as to be close to the terminal in San Pedro; last week we went down to the Marina area in Long Beach (Shoreline Village area) and rented Segways and zipped around their extensive bike trail area at the waterfront..

Travelgrrl - where in Shoreline Village did you rent the Segways (and if you don't mind, what are the rental rates?) we'll be there in April and that sounds like fun.

if you are interested, you can do a Skyline tour of Hollywood homes was VERY interesting and a nice tour. While you are waiting for the bus tour (we waited 1.5 to 2 hours but it was well worth it) to begin, you can take in all of the sites on Hollywood Blvd.

Which is the right neighborhood?

The Original Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles on N. Gower in Hollywood. Its great. And do try Pinks if you like Hot Dogs. Its busy any time of the day or night, but well worth it.

Archived