Malaria

susi_q

A word of caution to those of you going to Honduras. I'm an RN ... and we have a patient on our floor who just came home, after visiting Honduras, with malaria. (He said he stayed in the area "near a lot of cruise ships", but I don't know for sure that it was Roatan)

Please check with your healthcare provider, before you go, to see if the mosquitoes are active when you will be there. This the worse strain of malaria, and he will have a long time recovering. Not worth taking a chance ... protect yourself if needed.

Stop scaring people.

Just like anywhere, mosquitos can carry viruses...

SARS and WEST NILE VIRUS are, or WERE, in a lot of places in the US and Canada, and it's just part of life.

Malaria is a reality is most of tropics on our fine planet, including Roatan.

I live on Roatan, and YES, I have had malaria..although most people never ever get it.

The only precaution a person should worry about is wearing bug repellant (DEET!)...

Of course, speak to you doctor (or international traveller's clinics) for advice on preventing malaria, and the medicines you can take before you leave and during your vacation.

Roatan is a paradise!...with the occassional mosquito and sand flea.

Enjoy it!:)

Thanks for listening..

My family and friends take the medication you use once a week before, during and after their holiday. It's for about 6 weeks. They have never had a problem with side effects and did it as a prevention. As Murray says the best precaution of all is using Deet. Off is the best, the Orange spray can is good. If going off into the bush I'd use the Deep Woods.

Island Dweller

Stop scaring people.

Just like anywhere, mosquitos can carry viruses...

SARS and WEST NILE VIRUS are, or WERE, in a lot of places in the US and Canada, and it's just part of life.

Malaria is a reality is most of tropics on our fine planet, including Roatan.

I live on Roatan, and YES, I have had malaria..although most people never ever get it.

The only precaution a person should worry about is wearing bug repellant (DEET!)...

Of course, speak to you doctor (or international traveller's clinics) for advice on preventing malaria, and the medicines you can take before you leave and during your vacation.

Roatan is a paradise!...with the occassional mosquito and sand flea.

Enjoy it!:)

Thanks for listening..

I am one of the unfortunate people who got the WEst Nile Virus...

It was while I was living in Washington but had been on vacation in the gulf states...

Worst flu like virus I ever had...

I agree...stop scaring people...

Getting bit by a tick and getting Lymes disease can happen any where too... or a black widow spider...which we have in my neighborhood!:eek:

The best protection when outside is to do what it takes to not get bit at all...ever...anywhere...

When you know you are going to be adventureing in an area that might have bugs....where insect repellant!

We had a great time in Roatan and wore a product called Cactus juice... an all natural insect repellant! Google it!

Good luck...

I loved Roatan!

Sorry to sound like I was trying to scare people ... I'm headed to Honduras on the Valor in December ... I just had never considered that it might be a possibility ... forewarned ... forearmed! As you can see from my original post, I just said to check and protect yourself ... didn't think there was any suggestion of staying away. I can't wait to visit ... please don't jump to conclusions about motivation. Thanks for sharing your suggestions regarding effective prevention.

I appreciate your warning and didn't take it like you are trying to scare us. Better to be prepared. It's like when people come to SW Florida we tell them "Don't swim in the lakes and canals - alligators" you wouldn't not tell them becaue you don't want to scare them. I will by Deep Woods Off and make sure my children use it. I heard the medicine causes nightmares and as we have only one week to go it's too late for that.

April ... that is such a coincidence ... your comment about alligators. I'm on Sanibel at the moment for spring break, and just heard that warning! That and the stingray shuffle. Hope you guys have a great trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Another FYI: if you are a blood donor, The American Red Cross says you must be on the deferred donor list for one year after visiting Roatan, because of the malaria risk. I am a regular platelet donor, and I was very bummed by this news. As much as I loved my visit to Roatan, I'm not sure if it was worth it!:(

Just returned from Roatan, loved it! We did the canopy tour and beach and saw not a bug! No mosquitos or sand gnats. It is their dry season though. don' know that I'd like to visit during rainy season.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be there the end of May...same time as I was there last year. I'm not sure if it's considered their dry season or not but fortunately we didn't have a mosquito problem while we were there last year. I will, however, come more prepared this year after reading this message board. I must say...you did make me a bit nervous with your story about your patient. I do go on vacation to get rid of all my worries. But do know that I do apprecaite you looking out for all of us.

What is the name of the prescription to prevent it? I'd like to look it up. If bad nightmares is one symptom, I'm not sure if I can handle that :eek:

Its Chloroquinine (I might have spelled it wrong). I only took it because I stayed on the island two weeks and am a bug magnet. I think I was the only one in our group of 18 who even did that!

Otherwise if on a cruise I wouldn't bother. You are more likely to get West Nile or Lime Disease at home than anything on a cruise port stop.

Andrea in Atlanta

Archived