NCL JOY internet questions

Drummer72

I checked with Verizon and they do not have a international data plan available during my cruise.  So, my only option is shipboard wifi. Does anyone have first hand experience using a VPN with NCL’s premium wifi package. I will NOT  being uploading or downloading large files, this VPN connection is strictly for security purposes.  

1 hour ago, Drummer72 said:

I checked with Verizon and they do not have a international data plan available during my cruise.  So, my only option is shipboard wifi. Does anyone have first hand experience using a VPN with NCL’s premium wifi package. I will NOT  being uploading or downloading large files, this VPN connection is strictly for security purposes.  

You are asking a very good question that may difficult to answer.  Some VPNs do not particularly like long latency network connections.  Almost all sat communications have long latency connections and all VPNs add even more latency.  I hope it works out for you.

VPN's on cruise ship wifi are very hit and miss.  I just hope you don't need decent bandwidth or speed as your connection will be barely above dialup speeds at the best of times with loooong lag).

Joy's high orbit hybrid satellite WiFi hovered just under 2/1 Mbps with basic/unlimited WiFi, slower than the Getaway, Breakaway & Escape, etc. that we've been on ... same Cisco servers/hardware behind & under the hood, far too many users for the "dish" to dynamically cach, support & allocate the finite bandwidth moving at sea.  The premium WiFi isn't going to get you a faster speed/link, just unblocked those https ports used for VPN tunneling - latency is around 600 ms and pretty poor to bad.  Expect the connections to lag, freeze & getting dropped for whatever planned secured link use, since you do not have a choice unlike being "tethered" with available land/cellular towers.  

I had no problems with 4G LTE links behind firewalled Google Fi VPN links once we can securely ping land signals.