British Airways cancellations

unfathomable

I was looking at my BA bookings today and noticed that there was a missing reservation. I checked by using “manage my booking” with the locator code for the flight. Turned out both legs, outbound and inbound, for my next SS cruise in Europe had been cancelled. Neither BA or SS had notified me. The flights were part of a SS door-to-door reservation. This is in less than two months’ time.

My TA, once notified, rectified the problem and re-booked me within 15 minutes. (BA is not even answering the phone right now.) My TA is a star. My blood pressure is coming back to normal!

If you have an upcoming cruise, and it includes flights, especially BA, please check that they still exist.

• Like 1

Been there, done that!  Noticed a while back that BA had cancelled our flight and booked us on the same flight next day.  We are going on two months without any confirmation as to whether SS will pick up hotel and transfers in London while we twiddle our thumbs.  TA is great but SS is not putting anything in writing yet.  

Isn’t Door to Door the program where SS books your air?  Did your TA get hold of Silversea air and they changed it?  If you booked your air with your travel agent independently then I can see them changing it without a problem.  If Silversea booked the air how was your TA able to rebook you as Silversea air uses, in most cases, bulk airfare with booking classes which cannot be booked by TAs.

Just asking as in the US res says everything having to do with air has to be sent via email to Silversky.

We have a BA reservation on October for a land trip.  FCO-LHR-PDX.  BA just notified us that the FCO-LHR leg will now be on Iberia.  It appears that many of their intra-Europe flights are being handed off to other carriers.  Friends had a BA flight switched to Finnair.

BA is a complete disaster now a days.  The pictures of hundreds of pieces of luggage at T5 and the ridiculous queues of 2-3 hours are unacceptable.  I avoid them and LHR at all costs.  If meeting a cruise it used to be ok to arrive the day before.  The new normal is at least 2 days before.

24 minutes ago, cruisr said:

BA is a complete disaster now a days.  The pictures of hundreds of pieces of luggage at T5 and the ridiculous queues of 2-3 hours are unacceptable.  I avoid them and LHR at all costs.  If meeting a cruise it used to be ok to arrive the day before.  The new normal is at least 2 days before.

It is not just BA, sadly.The queues are pretty bad on many other airlines too lately, e.g., Air Canada in Toronto has been and mess, and Lufthansa out of Frankfurt is almost always obscene lately  (seniors who cannot stand 2 hours due to medical problems or frailty, especially in warm weather,  absolutely must be in business class or have a wheelchair arranged in advance, and even then, things go wrong a lot , like late-notice gate changes that leave people scurrying, or worse, stranded and stressed).  Also  more things go wrong with luggage, the more one has to have with one as part of hand luggage, which then makes it even harder to navigate airports, along with worry about getting space to put it unless one overcomes the "gate lice" blockades.

And the 4th of July weekend in the U.S., 10,000 flights were either canceled or significantly delayed (hours, not minutes).

For many, flying has become a physical endurance test, where you have to be as ready as you would be for a soccer stadium scrum with 20-year-olds.

Fortunately flying out of San Francisco is still relatively civilized for me, but the stress over outbound connections elsewhere, and the returns (especially from Europe), require fortitude, and are disincentives to us for more frequent travel

47 minutes ago, cruisr said:

The pictures of hundreds of pieces of luggage were Terminal 2/3. Awful for all concerned.

3 hours ago, cruisr said:

Isn’t Door to Door the program where SS books your air?  Did your TA get hold of Silversea air and they changed it?  If you booked your air with your travel agent independently then I can see them changing it without a problem.  If Silversea booked the air how was your TA able to rebook you as Silversea air uses, in most cases, bulk airfare with booking classes which cannot be booked by TAs.

Just asking as in the US res says everything having to do with air has to be sent via email to Silversky.

Booked before door to door.  SS arranged flights.  SS  unaware for months that BA had changed the date.  Sorted out now except for hotel and transfer.  Now 30 days before we depart.