DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED POST-COVID

High C's

Would someone who has recovered from Covid and obtained the documentation required to exempt pre-board testing describe exactly what is required.  The wording on the Princess website is as follows:

Exceptions may apply for asymptomatic guests who have tested positive for COVID-19 within three months of their embarkation if they are at least 10 days past their COVID-19 infection, are fully recovered with no symptoms and produce documentation of recovery from COVID-19 infection.

Documentation of Recovery consists of the following:

Paper or electronic copies of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days ago) or

A valid digital COVID-19 certificate (DCC) or a document issued by an official health or government authority showing confirmed previous infection.

Guests who present these documents will need to go through a secondary screening at the terminal, and boarding will be approved at the medical staff’s discretion.

So my question - do we need a PCR test before AND after?  Would a proctored test suffice?  And who supplies the exemption letter - our doctor?  Or is the "official health or government authority" simply a hard copy of the test result?

We sail in 30 days.  Hubby tested positive this morning.  

Any guidance would be GREATLY appreciated 🙂

Your experience may be different, but I recently completed an Alaska cruisetour.  Four in our party had Covid, recovered less than 90 days prior to sailing.  They each sought out a PCR lab documented test when they discovered, by home testing, they had Covid.  With that PCR diagnosed document, they contacted their personal MD, or one contacted their local Board of Health, and were provided a letter, on letterhead, fully identifying traveler, name, dob, address, stating Covid onset date.  They brought a printed copy of letter and printed copy of lab certified PCR test to cruiseport. When we got to dock in Seward, each was referred  to a secondary screening, NOT TESTING, where the official counted the dates to make sure it was within 90 days.  In US at least, this documentation was easily obtainable.

Good  luck!

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, jebbs said:

Your experience may be different, but I recently completed an Alaska cruisetour.  Four in our party had Covid, recovered less than 90 days prior to sailing.  They each sought out a PCR lab documented test when they discovered, by home testing, they had Covid.  With that PCR diagnosed document, they contacted their personal MD, or one contacted their local Board of Health, and were provided a letter, on letterhead, fully identifying traveler, name, dob, address, stating Covid onset date.  They brought a printed copy of letter and printed copy of lab certified PCR test to cruiseport. When we got to dock in Seward, each was referred  to a secondary screening, NOT TESTING, where the official counted the dates to make sure it was within 90 days.  In US at least, this documentation was easily obtainable.

Good  luck!

That is VERY helpful.  Many thanks.

I tested positive at home on June 24th, went to Walgreens on the 25th to receive an official "positive" letter.  When I cruise later this month I plan to bring the Walgreens positive notification with me.  I read the wording that this is sufficient to document prior case within 90 days, and since it has been 10+ days since the positive case I should be good to go, subject to a secondary review.  I hope this works! 🙂

In the language regarding Vaccine proof, princess indicates they will accept a "QR" code which I assume means they will accept a valid "Smart Health Card" (which is a QR code) issued by an authorized health care provider.  This code can be verified by the "Smart Health Card Verifier" app which can be installed on an iphone.  The Smart Health Card is an international standard and can be generated automatically by the MyChart app/web portal. 

In the language regarding proof of a positive test, princess states they will accept a "Digital COVID Certificate" (DCC) which is also a QR code but is a different system for travel within the European Union and is validated by the DCC portal.  I do not understand why the DCC is mentioned for North American departures.

Having the positive test results seems to be the key but there is a lot of language in the princess rules regarding having the "original" test result.  This seems odd since almost all test results are delivered electronically and printed out.  I could print them out on heavy bond or even card stock to make them more official - maybe even add a watermark.  I have found web sites that IF you provide the test results THEY will provide you the necessary letter - for a fee.  However, the princess language indicates you only require the tests results.

This is pretty confusing.  I have a Smart Health Card for (1) my four vaccine doses and (2) my positive test results.  I have printed copies of the QR codes and can bring them up on my phone - or any computer with internet access - I can also scan them with my - or any other phone - and verify they are valid.  

Will this be good enough for princess - I have no ideal.  I also have no idea if the Medalion app will work but that is another story.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, High C's said:

That is VERY helpful.  Many thanks.

Still confusing. Let say I get tested at home and the result are positive. I stay home and after a week I’m fine. Did not report my positive test to anyone. My cruise is 2 months away. Where do I get DCC in Ontario? 

1 hour ago, DHP1 said:

Still confusing. Let say I get tested at home and the result are positive. I stay home and after a week I’m fine. Did not report my positive test to anyone. My cruise is 2 months away. Where do I get DCC in Ontario? 

My husband tested positive (at home) this morning.  So we immediately made an appointment and went for a PCR test.  From what I gather from everything, a copy of that result, along with a letter from our doctor confirming he tested positive on July 9 and is now no longer symptomatic (as of the date of the letter) I am going to assume will be valid.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, High C's said:

My husband tested positive (at home) this morning.  So we immediately made an appointment and went for a PCR test.  From what I gather from everything, a copy of that result, along with a letter from our doctor confirming he tested positive on July 9 and is now no longer symptomatic (as of the date of the letter) I am going to assume will be valid.

That make sense. Thanks. 

You don’t need to do any of the things listed by Princess if you test for your cruise with an antigen test and NOT a PCR.  It is the PCR test that is more sensitive and can show positive for up to 90 days.  I had Covid in February and sailed in April with a negative antigen test with no problems.  Use a home test (which are antigen) after your covid recovery to test it out.  FYI to be safe be past 14 days.

How long will I test positive for COVID after recovery?

Usually, you can expect to test positive on an antigen or rapid test for up to 10 days. But if you’re using a PCR test, you could test positive for much longer — weeks or even months after infection. According to the CDC, people who’ve recovered from COVID-19can have “detectable SARS-CoV-2 RNA” in their body for up to three months after the initial infection. But most of these individuals are likely not infectious after the first 10 days if they’re no longer showing symptoms.

Edited by t&atravel
  • Like 1