Alternatives for La Rochelle

Adventures ahead

We're in port on Mon Aug 8, 7am-6pm, Enchanted Princess.

Normally, we'd book private tours, be gone all day and walk, walk, walk! Due to chronic fatigue, DH now unable to do that. Just grateful to be cruising! However, I can't see us simply staying on the ship.

If not taking an excursion (not keen on a crowded bus or public transportation) and DH not up for lengthly, quick-paced walking tours, what can we do in La Rochelle for a half day? A bespoke, private tour may bust the budget!

He'd probably be interested in Le Bunker (museum). Distance? Taxis available at the pier? Pay with credit card?

Suggestions welcome!

I hesitate to suggest that many cruisers try to pack so much into port days that they become exhausted and hardly remember what they have experienced.  The saying of "stop and smell the Roses" has long been something that DW and I let rule many days.  Given your concerns have you just considered a late breakfast (on the ship) after a long sleep and than going ashore to simply stroll around the Old Town (and nearby areas) located downtown.  Once you are sufficiently exhausted stop for a long lunch (our favorite activity when in France on port days) and relax with some good food and wine.  Another short stroll and then back to the ship.   As to museums, as much as many of us love museums the truth is that they can become very tiring.   I would rather walk around a nice old town area, browse a few shops, and stop for a cup of coffee or drink once we become a little tired.  

There is something that happens to many cruisers where they think they must take long excursions, spend hours on buses, spend lots of time on their feet following the guide, etc.  We see these folks exhausted on the ship, crashing in their cabins by 9:30, and then still tired the next morning when they "must" do it all over again at the next port.  It is crazy.  Consider throwing all that stuff out the window and just moving at your own pace, doing what you please, and taking frequent drink/food breaks.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I hesitate to suggest that many cruisers try to pack so much into port days that they become exhausted and hardly remember what they have experienced.  The saying of "stop and smell the Roses" has long been something that DW and I let rule many days.  Given your concerns have you just considered a late breakfast (on the ship) after a long sleep and than going ashore to simply stroll around the Old Town (and nearby areas) located downtown.  Once you are sufficiently exhausted stop for a long lunch (our favorite activity when in France on port days) and relax with some good food and wine.  Another short stroll and then back to the ship.   As to museums, as much as many of us love museums the truth is that they can become very tiring.   I would rather walk around a nice old town area, browse a few shops, and stop for a cup of coffee or drink once we become a little tired.  

There is something that happens to many cruisers where they think they must take long excursions, spend hours on buses, spend lots of time on their feet following the guide, etc.  We see these folks exhausted on the ship, crashing in their cabins by 9:30, and then still tired the next morning when they "must" do it all over again at the next port.  It is crazy.  Consider throwing all that stuff out the window and just moving at your own pace, doing what you please, and taking frequent drink/food breaks.

Hank

Always enjoy reading your posts.

Not having had the means for extensive land travel, we were those cruise people and loved it. We’ve been fortunate to cruise a fair fit in Europe and covered a lot of ground. We joked that we could rest at home for free. Not our MO this time. (Also used to winter in PV.)

I’m mainly interested in the logistics/lay of the land, to achieve that laid back day. (Also for our other ports in Spain… La Caruna and Bilbao… yes, I realize, wrong board. : )
Are we docked within a short walking distance to the Old Town?

Would we need a taxi to drop us off to a central location? Where might that be?

• Like 1

It has been so long since we've been in La Caruna I have no idea.  But in the case of Bilbao, you will dock at a nice little port in the town of Getxo which is located about 8 miles from Bilbao.  There are several low cost (or possibly free) options to get to Bilboa.  The last few times we were at Getxo the Bilbao government (we have heard it was actually the Chamber of Commerce) operated free shuttle buses from the port to downtown Bilbao.  Our cruise line (HAL) neglected to tell anyone that there was free transportation since they (cruise line) were trying to sell excursions.  So, you might want to ask, on the ship, if these buses still operate.  There are some very low cost options using public transit but this means you need to walk out of the port and a few blocks.  There is actually a subway (not far from the port) that will get you to Bilbao in about 25 min and cost something line 1.50 Euros (price might be higher these days)

Once in Bilbao you can use a combination of walking and a wonderful Tram line to get around.  Most will want to see the famous Gehry designed Guggenheim Museum.  We think the best part of that museum is seeing it from outside (which is free).   You can also walk in the doors and glance at the fantastic atrium for Free.  But walk a few more feet and you will need to pay the hefty admission fee of about 16 Euros per person!  The entrance tickets are timed but we did not wait long to get in on our two visits.  Unless you are a big fan of contemporary art (think of a pile of dust and a dust pan) you can save yourself money by not paying to see the art.  The only reason we have visited is because they had some decent temporary Exhibits when we visited including an excellent display of Armani fashions,   You can reach the Guggenheim from downtown by using the Tram.  Otherwise make sure to visit the indoor market (always fun seeing all the regional foods) and nearby old town area (near the river) that has many cute shops.  

Hank

You might find some useful info on this fairly recent thread. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2840178-excursions-on-our-own/page/2/#comment-62908518

Also check the locaL tourist Info website for ideas and look for an online map, as the older part of town, the older harbour and the market place are all fairly close together, quite close to where a taxi would drop you off.  And being a holiday resort, there are cafes, restaurants and bars in abundance where you can rest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

It has been so long since we've been in La Caruna I have no idea.  But in the case of Bilbao, you will dock at a nice little port in the town of Getxo which is located about 8 miles from Bilbao.  There are several low cost (or possibly free) options to get to Bilboa.  The last few times we were at Getxo the Bilbao government (we have heard it was actually the Chamber of Commerce) operated free shuttle buses from the port to downtown Bilbao.  Our cruise line (HAL) neglected to tell anyone that there was free transportation since they (cruise line) were trying to sell excursions.  So, you might want to ask, on the ship, if these buses still operate.  There are some very low cost options using public transit but this means you need to walk out of the port and a few blocks.  There is actually a subway (not far from the port) that will get you to Bilbao in about 25 min and cost something line 1.50 Euros (price might be higher these days)

Once in Bilbao you can use a combination of walking and a wonderful Tram line to get around.  Most will want to see the famous Gehry designed Guggenheim Museum.  We think the best part of that museum is seeing it from outside (which is free).   You can also walk in the doors and glance at the fantastic atrium for Free.  But walk a few more feet and you will need to pay the hefty admission fee of about 16 Euros per person!  The entrance tickets are timed but we did not wait long to get in on our two visits.  Unless you are a big fan of contemporary art (think of a pile of dust and a dust pan) you can save yourself money by not paying to see the art.  The only reason we have visited is because they had some decent temporary Exhibits when we visited including an excellent display of Armani fashions,   You can reach the Guggenheim from downtown by using the Tram.  Otherwise make sure to visit the indoor market (always fun seeing all the regional foods) and nearby old town area (near the river) that has many cute shops.  

Hank

Thanks, Hank. You've provided some great tips!

Normally, we'd be all over public transportation when cruising. With covid still hanging about (and fewer people wearing masks), and my husband immunocompromised, I'm a bit hesitant. He's braver than I am! Regardless, the cruise itself is a GO!  He's having a 5th covid shot next week so maybe we'll get a bit braver in a few weeks.  We're making a run for whatever he feels up to!  Life is good.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

You might find some useful info on this fairly recent thread. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2840178-excursions-on-our-own/page/2/#comment-62908518

Also check the locaL tourist Info website for ideas and look for an online map, as the older part of town, the older harbour and the market place are all fairly close together, quite close to where a taxi would drop you off.  And being a holiday resort, there are cafes, restaurants and bars in abundance where you can rest.

Thanks very much!

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been chatting on another forum with another cruiser going to La Rochelle about finding suitable alternatives to cruise excursions, myself because Princess don’t seem to have any accessible excursions. I’ve read a very negative review on Google of a recent RCI stop there where the shuttle (La Rochelle being 16k away) was very small and inadequate for a large ship. I also looked into the local bus service, it being a large port there is one but possibly cruise passengers won’t be allowed to leave the dock gate on foot? 
My question is are there many taxis at the port ? 

This information may be helpful for some and, perhaps, not for others who have accessibility issues.  In our case, my husband can walk un-aided, just not long distances or quickly, and we're not keen to get on crowded buses. So, taxis would be great for us. We're just wanting a ride to the older part of town.

from avidcruiser.com "for cruise passengers":

"... The Port Authority usually has hostesses at the cruise terminal in charge of the taxis and to answer questions from the passengers, according to Marie Guegan, in the communications department for the Port Atlantique La Rochelle. "  BTW, it also stated that the city centre is 6km from where the ship's dock at "... Môle descale, a berth with ample shuttle service to La Rochelle's popular attractions."

Regarding a ship's shuttle (accessibility unknown), I read elsewhere, "...Celebrity charges €10 per person".  

Can't speak to what other cruise lines may offer.  Apparently, there's a possibility that the Port Authority may also run a free shuttle, not always communicated by cruise lines that sell their own shuttle tickets.

When I responed previously (post #5 above) I gave a link which I thought might be useful for you to read.Post #26 on that link is mine and I mention using a taxi each way, also where it dropped us off and where we found another for the return. Adventures Ahead referenced the same link in post #7.

The only addition i can think of is that, we visited, schools were in session, and when we were cleared to leave the ship there were really no taxis at the port and our ship had no shuttle buses..  We were assured by local staff that "taxis would come" and they did.  Quite a number of them arrived within minutes of each other.  Our driver explained that many local taxis were under contract to ferry school kids to school, and that they had to fulfil that duty before coming to the port.  I do not know if that still applies or not, (or even if that was actually true) but presumably when schools are on holiday, you would think they might arrive earlier in the morning.

Who knew that French academic terms might impact taxi availability??!!

I don't think you need a shorex here.  The town is flat and you could walk as much or as little as either of you is able and still have an enjoyable time.

Edited by edinburgher

On 7/10/2022 at 1:27 AM, Adventures ahead said:

We're in port on Mon Aug 8, 7am-6pm, Enchanted Princess.

Normally, we'd book private tours, be gone all day and walk, walk, walk! Due to chronic fatigue, DH now unable to do that. Just grateful to be cruising! However, I can't see us simply staying on the ship.

If not taking an excursion (not keen on a crowded bus or public transportation) and DH not up for lengthly, quick-paced walking tours, what can we do in La Rochelle for a half day? A bespoke, private tour may bust the budget!

He'd probably be interested in Le Bunker (museum). Distance? Taxis available at the pier? Pay with credit card?

Suggestions welcome!

Have a look at the local tourist board website. It lists lots of places to go.

you could also look at WhatsinPort and Google.

Bilbao has a free shuttle bus to get into the centre.