Sea sick with medicine

watervillevalley

Hi, One last question. Because I have a heart arrythmia problem, I can't take a patch so......

Did anyone still get sea sick after taking Bonine? I'm taking it before I even get on the ship. I'm planning on taking Bonine after talking with my physcian but I'm wondering if I will still get sea sick so I was going to ask people who have taken it. If people have gotten sick, I'm planning on doing the wrist bands and ginger or anything else anyone can think of. I can't take any heavy-duty medicine especially anything which causes the heart rate to increase.

Thanks for your responses. This board has been absolutely the best!

I used to get VERY motion sick. Cars, Trains, Plains, Boats, :(

We took our 1st cruise a few months ago. Until then i wouldn't even consider a cruise but we went with a group and I didn't want to miss out on the fun sooooooooo I did it. I was nervous as heck and terrified I'd be sick & miserable the whole time!!!

Started taking bonine 2 nights before we left and took it each night on the ship. I NEVER felt the least bit queasy. I could feel the ship move once in a while but It didn't bother me. (take it at night before bed. It's good for 24 hours and if it makes you drowsy, who cares - you're going to bed anyway!)

Since you have medical issues you must discuss this with your Dr. If he/she says Bonine is ok then I would say go for it! Cruising is great!!!

BTW, My kids also took bonine but only for 2 nights. They stopped when they realized they didn't need it. Maybe I could have stopped? I didn't want risk it LOL.

Good Luck!

~Connie

Hi, One last question. Because I have a heart arrythmia problem, I can't take a patch so......

Did anyone still get sea sick after taking Bonine? I'm taking it before I even get on the ship. I'm planning on taking Bonine after talking with my physcian but I'm wondering if I will still get sea sick so I was going to ask people who have taken it. If people have gotten sick, I'm planning on doing the wrist bands and ginger or anything else anyone can think of. I can't take any heavy-duty medicine especially anything which causes the heart rate to increase.

Thanks for your responses. This board has been absolutely the best!

I might have gotten sick after taking it. I don't remember...I slept through it if I did.

D.

I also have arrythmia and take Bonine - the best thing I've ever found for motion sickness. I start taking them the night before we fly, and one every night thereafter; if we have really rough water and I start feeling a little off, I take another. I haven't had any problems with Bonine making me drowsy, even if I've taken a second one during the day. An added bonus is that it doesn't mean you have to stop having froo-froo drinks by the pool, pre-dinner drinks, or wine with dinner!:D

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I have, but at the time I was on a small boat. I took two bonine and ate ginger snaps. But, having said that, on a cruise ship I seem to just fine with just bonine in my system. This time I am going to experiment with ginger pills.

Thanks for the information. I was really happy to see that someone else had taken Bonine with a heart arrythmia problem. (not that I would wish this problem on anyone!) I was kind of worried about taking it. I never know what's going to cause it to kick into gear. I have spoken to my physician and he also recommends Bonine. I was just worried it might not work. Anyone take this drug and not have it work the first time? What elese did they do if it didn't work?

Same issue with my heart and I have always used bonine. I take it each night and in the morn (when on sea days) just to make sure I dont end up sick and not enjoying myself. Never not had it work or it cause me any issues. Hope you have a wonderful vacation.

Hi Waterville Valley,

I, have atrial fib, and am allowed to use the patch. I have had no problems with it, but of course, have discussed it with both my cardiologist and family practicioner. When the patch was being reformulated, and was off the market, I used meclizine, which is the generic of Bonine and AntiVert. It worked pretty well.

Enjoy your cruise...............and if you take coumadin, ask your doc before using any ginger products.

Thanks for the advice. I have every heart arrythmia except atrial fib. I have skipped heart beats, runs of crazy stop and go heartbeats, flutters and some breath-taking runs of whatever. They started when I was pregnant with my last child and it's been 10 years now. I've been in the emergency room and hospital numerous times with it. I'm trying to learn to live with it. It's hard though because when it strikes hard - I feel like I'm going to die. Anyhow, this trip was a big step for me. I decided to do something besides wait around for the next episode. I'm trying not to worry that it will happen on the boat. That's why I'm so concerned about getting sea sick or scared. It's hard living on the edge all the time but I'm determined to have fun.......

Hi!

I understand how you feel, and want to reassure you that they have wonderful medical help on many ships...........not cheap, but wonderful. Make sure you buy insurance....with pre-existing coverage. We cruise mostly on Princess, but I know that HAL, Carnival, and RCI also have good medical care. Truly, a cruise is so relaxing, I feel better there than anywhere...................and it is also reassuring to know that the medical professionals are just a short elevator ride, or phone call away, and they are well trained in emergency procedures. The few I've seen have been very nice, and all from the UK.

By the way, my cuz used to have a place at Waterville Valley, and we visited years ago............what a lovely place! I envy you all of your pine trees here, from the desert! :)

Have a lovely cruise, I know you will......................:)

Yes. Waterville is beautiful. We actually live near Keene, NH but go skiing in Waterville. My favorite besides flying down the mountain is swimming outside in the heated pool during a blizzard or walking in the snow to the little village which has no cars. Sheer heaven. Thanks for the reassurance about the medical care.

:D Dear Waterville Valley,

I live near you in Western Mass.. I too was scared out of my mind before my first cruise about whether I would get sea sick. My first cruise I used the ear patch but don't think I really liked how it made me feel. The 2nd cruise I used bonine and it worked great! Just don't expect to not feel any movement. Befor e our 1st cruise people would tell me..."you wont even feel the boat move cause they are such big ships.." Well some people dont feel movement but I almost always do. Everyone is so different. The 1st cruise I thought there was something wrong because I felt a gentle sway alot of the time. Our 2nd cruise I knew what to expect but we went on a bigger ship(which I recommend) Adventure of Seas RCCL and I felt much less movement. I still recommend taking Bonine at least a day before you travel and continue to take it if you think it may be a problem. It is so wierd how some people can feel the gentle swaying of the ship at times and the person standing right next to you won't feel anything at all....Take care & have a great trip!!!!!!:)

Archived