Bringing Kids on Princess

pklein9747

We returned last week from a one week Western Caribbean family cruise on the Caribbean Princess.  Hubby and I are elite with Princess and wanted a ship that we were comfortable with but would provide a quiet respite for our two grown children and their spouses and also had a great kids' club.  Each of our adult children and spouses have cruised before but this was the first cruise for our three grandkids, ages 9, 8 & 3.  I know so many people have said Princess' kids' club is outstanding and they were right.  Our grandkids loved it.  Even our 3 year old, who is on the autism spectrum and struggles with communication, would ask each day, "Kids club?  Go play?"  The staff in the younger club were exceptional and really knew how to deal with the kids and were very caring.  They each made so many fun projects that it was hard to find room to bring it all home.

We only ate in the dining room the first two nights (just found the buffet easier and our early reservation time didn't work with our busy schedule), but the servers were very, very attentive to the kids and went out of their way to bring them whatever they wanted to eat.  They would suggest items and try to get the kids to try something now (to no avail 😞 )   The servers in the buffet were also very helpful and would go in search of chocolate milk for our littles (turned out to be from the coffee venue where they have milk and chocolate syrup!).  My 8 year old grandson's peanut/tree allergy was taken very seriously in the dining room.  The never ending pizza and ice cream was probably the biggest hit with the two oldest.  I think they ate their weight's worth.

There is a great water play area on deck 16 outside the kids' club that the kids loved.  The kids' outdoor splash area was okay but our guys preferred the big pool on deck, especially watching a movie while in the pool!

I think Princess was a good choice for their first cruise and for this age.  We had a port intensive cruise, and two sea days were fine.  Any more and the kids may have been bored..  As they age, I would more likely choose Royal or a newer Carnival ship where they are more activities for kids.

• Like 3