Travel insurance question .... please clarify

Lojay2

We are planning a South America cruise in April.

I am planning on buying refundable airline tickets (because I am using points from my credit card), I understand that I do not have to show this value when I valuate the trip since the tickets are refundable, here is my question....

If I do not list the trip in the insurance information and I get delayed or cancelled on my return flight, does the travel insurance kick in (Allianz upgraded plan with Covid protection) to get me home or are they just going to cover the cruise cost? We are planning on staying three days after the cruise and then fly home. 

I have priced out the insurance both ways (cruise cost only and with cruise/air) and their is a significant difference.  I have not yet called insurance company because I would like to hear from people in the know on these boards 

Please help clarify my confusion   

34 minutes ago, Lojay2 said:

We are planning a South America cruise in April.

I am planning on buying refundable airline tickets (because I am using points from my credit card), I understand that I do not have to show this value when I valuate the trip since the tickets are refundable, here is my question....

If I do not list the trip in the insurance information and I get delayed or cancelled on my return flight, does the travel insurance kick in (Allianz upgraded plan with Covid protection) to get me home or are they just going to cover the cruise cost? We are planning on staying three days after the cruise and then fly home. 

I have priced out the insurance both ways (cruise cost only and with cruise/air) and their is a significant difference.  I have not yet called insurance company because I would like to hear from people in the know on these boards 

Please help clarify my confusion   

First, you need to speak with the insurer or a travel insurance broker who can handle that particular policy.  There can be differences in coverage depending upon state of residence, so you don't want to get an answer from someone whose policy may be slightly different.

For the policies that *we* get, from Travel Insured, we do insure the fee to change or re-bank the points, but only because our type of coverage requires that we include all non-refundable fees (and this isn't much anyway; it doesn't change the premium).

We start the trip coverage from the moment we step out the door until the moment we plan to return home.

One of the potential problems with insuring a trip with "freebie" awards air travel is that IF one needs to pay for a return flight, there's no "amount of insurance" to cover that.  In case of trip interruption, we'd get up to 150% of the coverage.  But if we needed to pay cash for business trip flights on very short notice, our trip costs never included "business class tickets" to begin with.  Thus, there might not be too much available coverage to reimburse us for unused trip costs plus higher-priced short-notice cash tickets.  (Hope that make sense.)

Nevertheless, that is how we travel, too. 🙂   We've had several travel insurance claims (unfortunately), but most of the large ones were for trip cancellation, so that particular issue hasn't yet arisen.

You might want to consult a travel insurance broker who can discuss a variety of policies with you, perhaps from different insurers, to help you find the best match for your situation.  And you can ask all of your specific questions and be sure you're getting the answers that apply to whatever policy you'd actually be purchasing.

We use www.TripInsuranceStore.com - but CALL them.  The online policy summaries just can't capture all of the fine print, etc.

GC