Valor 2/19 - 2/26 (long)

mrclean1

Hi All, after all the information gleaned from this site it is only fair we post our review, so here it is. A little long perhaps, but hopefully informative.

Our group of 10 flew into Boca Raton from Texas, New York and Massachusetts. There were some flight issues but that is another story. Viking Limousine of Pompano Beach picked us up at 10:30AM in their 20 passenger stretch Excursion Limo (cost 180.00 each way, tax & tip included), their service was superb and we would highly recommend them to anyone. However, you need to negotiate the price with them, his first quote was 265.00 each way. We arrived Port Of Miami at 11:40AM and were directed into a line that somehow by-passed the hundred or so people already waiting, somehow we were sent through a VIP line by accident and got through documentation and photos and were up on Lido deck by 12:05 having cocktails and lunch. We actually got into our interior room (9231) on Lido deck at 1:30 and all of our luggage was delivered by 4:00. Our cabin steward, Nelson, attended to all our needs, he was certainly an asset to the cruise line. Absolutely impressed with the check in, but honestly even if we had waited in the line it would have added no more than 30 minutes.

Because we had a 12 year old niece with us we requested an early seating and were assigned an early seating with a table for 10 (table 433) in the Washington dining room at 5:45, a tad to early, but we dealt with it. There was a 6:30 seating in the Lincoln Dining room, but I feel the Washington is much better location. Our service team of Monica and Aung were positively perfect with great personalities, superb attention to detail and flawless performance, if you are fortunate enough to be assigned these two you will be more than pleased.

Our first sea day was as expected, we rose early got 10 lounges together on Lido, spent the day there drinking, eating and sunning. The drinks were well made and for the most part efficiently served. Soon it was time to dress for dinner, our first formal night, the prime rib and lobster was excellent and most of us had a second lobster tail.

Our second day found us in Grand Cayman, a tender port, we had no issues getting off the boat where several of us did the beach tour and a tour of town. Though the beach was beautiful it was very crowded and our impression of the island was that it was very expensive and essentially a tourist trap. Some of the group did the Stingray City tour and rated it highly, but word of advise, the ship will charge 52.00 and at the dock you can purchase the same tour for 40.00. As far as the island goes all agreed, been there done that and no need to do it again no one has any interest in going back. While it was not a good fit for us I am sure many people will enjoy it and do not want to convey the image that it was terrible and scare anyone away, it just wasn’t our cup of tea.

Next day found us in Roatan, all agreed that this was the best day of the trip. We all did the Tabayanna Beach Tour. The beach was beautiful, water was perfect, there was live entertainment, good drinks, food and many activities. Once there my advice would be to walk down the beach and check things out, we had chicken for lunch and later found out a short way down the beach we could have had lobster for the same money. There is a reef 30 yards off the beach, you can rent snorkel equipment and they feed the fish there so there is much to look at. My niece and her father did the horseback riding tour and after a forest tour they actually took them out on the beach after the rest of us left. Only problem here is we did not stay long enough. All agreed we will go back here. This island reminded me of the Carribean of 20 years ago, unfortunately you can see the development beginning and in 5 years or so will be like many of the others. Enjoy it while you can and it is relatively un-spoiled.

Following day takes us to Belize, another tender port, we all went different directions here, some took the Private Island Beach Break, a nice setting but the water was not very pretty (cloudy and stirred up) obviously relatively new, but looked to much like a movie set. My brother and his girlfriend did a snorkel trip from here for 20.00 and said it was OK (notice the lack of enthusiasm). We all called it "Gilligan’s Island" probably would not do this one again, but if you are a beach person it will be the only option you have got. My DW and niece did a snorkel trip, where they were lucky enough to see rays, sharks, many thousands of fish and even some dolphins, a definite hit with them and according to them a must see. Their snorkel boat picked them right up at the ship and brought them back there, the reef was about 12 miles out. This port is a long tender ride in and would not be much fun in rough water, once in there really is not much shopping and the primary activity seems to be drinking on the balcony of the Wet Lizard. If you do not book a tour here, probably best to just stay aboard. My sister and her husband hired a guide on the dock for a tour of the ruins, they enjoyed it a lot, felt they paid as much as the ship tour but got better value because it was just the two of them rather than a bus load.

Our fourth stop was Costa Maya, where once again we traveled to the beach, Jungle Beach (about a 30 min. trip) it was nice but no where near as good as Roatan. Food was available, booze was included I’d rate it as so-so, not great. Some of our group left early and at the dock rented 2 golf carts and traveled about 15 min. to Mahaual, had a great time and was the way we should have all traveled. You could easily spend the day there with great food, good drinks and use the beach there. Next time that is where we spend our time.

Our final sea day was a copy of the first, except this time people were saving chairs as fast as the stewards put them down, at 6:30 many were gone, people were going out with arm loads of stuff to save chairs.

I know everybody has there own opinions, but when it comes to the food I can honestly say that no one had any complaints. The dining room was very good throughout, definitely exceeding our expectations. The Deli and Grill were both excellent, along with the Fish & Chips and Oriental stations. The buffet had a good variety and again was impressive. The second formal night my DW and I went to Scarlett’s, it was very good but considering the quality of the other choices probably not worth the 30.00 per person we paid.

Three of us were past cruisers having traveled Cunard, Costa and Celebrity no one had sailed Carnival, and all agreed this trip was as good as any in the past. All agreed we would do it again. On a scale of 1 - 10 we would rate it a solid 8.5. All felt it was great value for the money.

If I had to find issues to complain about, I would say that the bingo cards are way overpriced at 10.00 a single and 20.00 a triple. Some shows were great and others just so-so. Some comedians we hilarious and others not. Entertainment was not very consistent and in fact barely existed out on Lido deck, I expected much more action. The live band out on Lido was not the best I’ve heard, but my two big complaints were the fact that port info talks included no info on the country or port itself and were essentially infomercial for cruise line affiliated stores. Second would be the fact that they would always try to bring you a drink in a souvenir glass at 6 or 7 dollars instead of one in a plastic cup for 3.50, so be specific or prepare to pay. Finally, when we attended the self disembarkation talk on our last sea day we had to endure the lamest comedy routine from Steve our cruise director before we got any info, I would much rather have spent our time in the sun for that 45 minutes.

We self dis-embarked because we had other plans for Sunday and had ordered the Limo for 9:00, we had breakfast early at the buffet when it opened at 6:00. At 6:45 they started the self dis-embarkation and we were off the boat and through customs by 7:15, we called the Limo to come in early and we were back in Boca by 9:30.

To summarize, we all had a great time, would do it again and were impressed with the value received for our dollars. I have to admit, I was a little leery never sailing Carnival before but everything worked out, including the weather by the way which was beautiful every day. We lucked out there as many of these cruises recently have had much rain. If you are considering this route, do it you won’t be disappointed.

Steve

Great review! We sail on Sunday (4 days!) and your review made me even more excited, if that is possible.

I second that! Thanks for the honest and fair review.

One question if I may... we also have an interior Lido room, and have heard there are some nice places to lounge at the front of the Lido deck (not by the pool). Did you find any favorite or recommended places to lounge?

Salty Dingo, Go all the way forward on Lido and to the port side you will see a door with a porthole out to a forward deck. This deck will be on top of the bridge and actually let you walk out on top of the bridge wings giving you a great view down the sides of the ship. There are no lounges out there though, but still a great picture spot.

Archived