current pre cruise testing requirements

Cheshire Blue

Apologies if this is answered elsewhere (but lots of posts appear historic). 

We are sailing from Southampton on Celebrity Silhouette in late September.  I understand as well as covid vax status (NHS app) we will need to do some form of test prior to boarding.  What is the current thinking as to where we get these tests done ?   In Southampton or at home (NW) the day before departure and where exactly - Boots / Lloyds or somewhere else ?   

Appreciate past experiences 

Currently Test requirement is that of the Cruise line.  If you look at your cruise on

Celebrity site you should find what They need.  It  can also vary depending on whether

You are Fully jabbed  & boosted according to what you are entitled to AT THE TIME

you Cruise.

We have been twice with Princess  2 jabs &  a booster so Princess say for that to cruise

from Southampton  you need a LFT   test  within 3 days of boarding.

We live in Preston  so  we travel down the day prior to sailing.  We get our tests at

Lloyds in  Preston   on the Thursday afternoon  for a Saturday Cruise.

We like that as if we test positive its seems better  to find out at home 🙂

Having said all that the hope is that tests might be abandoned   for most people by September.

see here

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/cdc-decision-means-for-royal-caribbean-carnival-cruisers-covid-testing-vaccines

EDIT   too late so new post

https://www.celebritycruises.com/gb/healthy-at-sea/southampton-travel-requirements

Looks like celebrity are totally different to Princess - No booster Reqd  BUT

test within 2  Days.!!!      So  maybe test at home town  early am  then train

or whatever to Soton,  Hotel , Board next day..

or get a test at lloyds in Soton  (  better check if they still do them)  stopped for

a while on cruise days.

Thanks for the responses on this. 

We are due to sail on a Friday so looks like we will test near to home (perhaps Manchester - will see what pharmacies offer LFTs) on the wednesday, travel down on the Thursday for 1 night and then onto the ship on Friday. 

On 7/21/2022 at 2:08 PM, Cheshire Blue said:

Thanks for the responses on this. 

We are due to sail on a Friday so looks like we will test near to home (perhaps Manchester - will see what pharmacies offer LFTs) on the wednesday, travel down on the Thursday for 1 night and then onto the ship on Friday. 

Obviously worth monitoring as things are changing all the time. P&O for instance have just changed requirement for a monitored lft to a self-test with a standard pharmacy-bought test kit which you then only have to declare a negative result on the health declaration form.

There are two clinics in Southampton offering supervised tests. One in West Quay Shopping Centre and one at St Marys, near the football stadium. If that interests you, there is a lot of discussion on the P&O Board.

39 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Obviously worth monitoring as things are changing all the time. P&O for instance have just changed requirement for a monitored lft to a self-test with a standard pharmacy-bought test kit which you then only have to declare a negative result on the health declaration form.

There are two clinics in Southampton offering supervised tests. One in West Quay Shopping Centre and one at St Marys, near the football stadium. If that interests you, there is a lot of discussion on the P&O Board.

Thanks for that - am hoping the requirement for testing may have been dropped by the end of September (but probably wishful thinking). 

Supervised test at West Quay (morning of the cruise) is a possibility -  depending on time to get a result ?   Do you know how quick the procedure is ?     Not sure I want to travel to Southampton to then get a "positive" result and so be prevented from boarding - think I'd rather have that disappointment back home.  If the worst happens - I assume we get "refund" in form of FCC - but still very disappointing 😞    

1 hour ago, Cheshire Blue said:

Thanks for that - am hoping the requirement for testing may have been dropped by the end of September (but probably wishful thinking). 

Supervised test at West Quay (morning of the cruise) is a possibility -  depending on time to get a result ?   Do you know how quick the procedure is ?     Not sure I want to travel to Southampton to then get a "positive" result and so be prevented from boarding - think I'd rather have that disappointment back home.  If the worst happens - I assume we get "refund" in form of FCC - but still very disappointing 😞    

From what people have said on the Board, seems to be within about 30 minutes but I know what you mean - it's a long way for you to travel if you ended up with a positive result...

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 1:11 PM, Britboys said:

From what people have said on the Board, seems to be within about 30 minutes but I know what you mean - it's a long way for you to travel if you ended up with a positive result...

As from 5th September, it appears the requirement for a supervised test has now gone - so we will just do a lateral flow test at home a day or so before the cruise (later in September) and take a picture of the result. 

Hope you enjoyed your cruise  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cheshire Blue said:

As from 5th September, it appears the requirement for a supervised test has now gone - so we will just do a lateral flow test at home a day or so before the cruise (later in September) and take a picture of the result. 

Hope you enjoyed your cruise  

I've not sailed yet but it is coming up soon... Glad to hear your testing requirements have eased.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Snaxmuppet

I have read on a thread here that the requirement for supervised tests at Southampton is already dropped for Princess cruises. Many people are reporting that they did an unsupervised test and just stated it was negative at embarkation.

Can anyone that is currently on a Princess cruise from Southampton actually confirm if this is the case?

We only booked last week and so we are late to the party with everything so we haven't had a chance to book anything up but if we don't need to then we won't bother 🙂 

Edited by Snaxmuppet