Disney Wish cruise after week at Disney World?

Abr155

We are taking our then almost 3 year old daughter to Disney World in April (she'll be 2 months shy of 3).  We are going for 7 nights and budgeted out quite the budget to take this trip.  THEN, friends reached out and offered that we tag along with them when they use their mom's DVC points (we'd just pay our share of her yearly fee), so we are staying a week at Wilderness Lodge for like $900. 

I was playing around with Disney cruises, and the Wish has a sailing out of Port Canaveral for the last Friday of our trip (we're going Saturday to Saturday).

Is it crazy to add a 3-day Disney cruise onto an already 7 (well, 6 because we'd cut a night if going on cruise) night Disney vacation?  Will we and daughter be too exhausted to enjoy the cruise?  It goes to Nassau and Castaway.  We'd stay on ship in Nassau to enjoy the ship more (been to Nassau twice).

Thoughts?

Also, for those who say BOOK BOOK BOOK, inside versus Verandah?  We typically sail balcony (haven't sailed with her yet) - would be nice to be able to sit on balcony while she naps I suppose, but pretty significant price difference for just 3 nights!

EDITED to add - the COVID testing procedures are also a concern - would obviously be risking exposure at Disney World and then would have to work out testing while in Orlando 😕 

Edited by Abr155

Tired?  Maybe yes. Maybe no.  I find the typical 3- or 4-night cruises to be relaxing.  Especially if you are not visiting ports.  (A day at Castaway Cay just seems like a day at the beach - literally and figuratively.)

It will really depend on how go-go-go you are with the parks. With a long visit, perhaps do some partial days at the parks.  It will be the overall feel of the vacation, not doing everything available, that will be the long-term memory. 

Wilderness Lodge does have that lovely large pool, a nice break from the heat of the parks.  And the boat ride from the MK is a fun transport.

Inside v balcony?  On the Wish cruise dates I have checked, the price difference is not as wide as on many of the specialty cruises. I sailed a balcony on the Dream last fall - and I routinely book inside for the price.  If you are used to a balcony, look at videos of both categories and make sure you are okay with the size, layout, bathrooms. All interior cabins have the single bathroom. Will you need storage space?  Reports are that all cabins have reduced storage, especially so in interiors.

Best Wishes on your decisions. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 2:56 PM, Abr155 said:

3 year old

I guess my question would be will your three year old do well with another transition after already being out of the "routine" for a week? If they were older, I'd think you would have an easier time, but a 3 year old might make an extended vacation challenging.

• Like 1

3 years old, 13, 30… I wonder about that at a lot of ages. A change of routine can be rough on a lot of us. Three year olds have the less complicated reaction to exhaustion - they can cry or fall asleep without the guilt.

But yes, a factor to take into consideration.  Keeping bedtimes and as much normal routine certainly can help.

• Like 1

Thank you every one for the thoughts!  We plan to be extremely flexible whilst at Disney World to keep her naps and bedtime on track - she is an excellent sleeper, so definitely don't want to mess that up!

Definitely food for thought!

• Like 1

So a few years ago, when my kids were 3 and 5 we did 3 day land tour in Florida (we did not go to Disney) followed by 4 day cruise- at the end they fell asleep at the airport and slept through the flight on the way home. Seriously, we buckled them in and they didn't flinch. The last day of a cruise can be brutal with kids because of the early hour that you have to leave the ship, so what ever you do make sure they have something in the tank for the last day. For me and my family, I wouldn't consider doing this without a few days of not going to Disney Parks during the seven days, maybe even the day before you get on the cruise ship (we did this on the trip in question and really enjoyed the resort pool). But on the other hand. cruises are awesome with little kids- everything is super compact which makings dealing with young kids needs super easy. So they need a nap right now at an atypical time- no problem it is a 5 minute walk to the room (not a 30 min+ trip being out), hungry- no problem there is the buffet or ice cream, or refuse a nap- let's go play a round of mini-golf. Now my kids are older- I'm still trying to convince my husband to avoid Disney World and do another Disney cruise instead. 

As for your question about inside or veranda- I would do veranda all the way. My favorite part of the day when traveling with a youngster was stilling on the balcony with my husband as my kids sleeping inside talking and finishing the bottle of wine from dinner (if you like wine- I recommend buying the wine package, having a glass with dinner, and take the bottle back to the room to be finished off after bed time. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 6:49 PM, alohayall said:

Tired?  Maybe yes. Maybe no.  I find the typical 3- or 4-night cruises to be relaxing.  Especially if you are not visiting ports.  (A day at Castaway Cay just seems like a day at the beach - literally and figuratively.)

It will really depend on how go-go-go you are with the parks. With a long visit, perhaps do some partial days at the parks.  It will be the overall feel of the vacation, not doing everything available, that will be the long-term memory. 

Wilderness Lodge does have that lovely large pool, a nice break from the heat of the parks.  And the boat ride from the MK is a fun transport.

Inside v balcony?  On the Wish cruise dates I have checked, the price difference is not as wide as on many of the specialty cruises. I sailed a balcony on the Dream last fall - and I routinely book inside for the price.  If you are used to a balcony, look at videos of both categories and make sure you are okay with the size, layout, bathrooms. All interior cabins have the single bathroom. Will you need storage space?  Reports are that all cabins have reduced storage, especially so in interiors.

Best Wishes on your decisions. 

You might want to consider an oceanview room. They have a large round window. We love them!

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2022 at 9:49 PM, wrendrummer said:

if you like wine- I recommend buying the wine package

Omg! Love wine and did not know they had a package. I for sure thought Disney didn’t have any type of alcohol package. Love that we can both bring 2 bottles aboard!

1 minute ago, Abr155 said:

Omg! Love wine and did not know they had a package. I for sure thought Disney didn’t have any type of alcohol package. Love that we can both bring 2 bottles aboard!

Wine and beer (buy 5 beers, get a 6th free).

I think they will save your wine for the next night in the dining room.  Others mention taking the bottle back to the room to enjoy on the balcony.

Oh, yes, alcohol on board; they just want you to pay for every glass/ no unlimited drinks. Daily specials on cocktails (drink of the day).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alohayall said:

Wine and beer (buy 5 beers, get a 6th free).

I think they will save your wine for the next night in the dining room.  Others mention taking the bottle back to the room to enjoy on the balcony.

Oh, yes, alcohol on board; they just want you to pay for every glass/ no unlimited drinks. Daily specials on cocktails (drink of the day).

We usually get the beverage package on other lines. While Disney does not offer the packages, the prices are very reasonable. And don’t forget to sign up for the tastings! They are an incredible bargain and a lot of fun. 

• Like 1