Queen's Troubles in L.A.

Kenn

:) Karie,

Having played trivia with you on the QM2 1/3 - 1/5 cruise I wonder if

Brilliant is the right work.

Terrifically funny and the happiest person I met on the cruise - most

deffinitely.

Thank you for introducing me to CC.

I am still laughing about you changing your parents.

Love,

Maria - who still is hoping you make the QM2 Labor Day cruise

:) Karie,

Having played trivia with you on the QM2 1/3 - 1/5 cruise I wonder if

Brilliant is the right work.

Terrifically funny and the happiest person I met on the cruise - most

deffinitely.

Thank you for introducing me to CC.

I am still laughing about you changing your parents.

Love,

Maria - who still is hoping you make the QM2 Labor Day cruise

Darn! That's the trouble with not being anonymous on these boards! Caught me in my lies! But you will admit that I am devastatingly beautiful, won't you? If I slip you a twenty? I don't suppose I could get you to say amazingly slim and svelte either, huh?

Labor Day is still under consideration. Just making sure I still have a job first. They're trying to surplus me again, even as I worked through the night last week doing an emergency software load (After a few hours off to see Garrison Keillor live) Then my boss screwed up the paycheck totally, so HR had to intervene and they will cut me another check on Tuesday.

It's a Dilbert world we live in!

Karie, who is not nearly as brilliant as Trivia Partner Maria!

Elaine: Will you adopt me, PLEASE? I'm only 51. I'm still a mere child! Two cruises back to back, and you're having a "Shortish" cruise of "only" twelve nights? In a rear balcony suite? Surely you must long for a daughter to bring up in your image! I could be that daughter! Honest, I could! <LOL>Karie,

Who STILL wishes she'd been born independently wealthy- you know, "old money, deah" instead of merely exquisitely beautiful, piquantly witty and superbly brilliant. (In addition to excrutiatingly humble <G>)

Hi Karie

I would love to adopt you as my daughter, but I'm afraid that would be a physical impossibility!! I will be 45 this month!!!!!!!!

We have cruised now since my 19 year old son was about 4! I have flown in the past (even done concorde to NY and QE2 back when my daughter who is now 22 was 9 months old), but let me tell you, I make everyones life a misery and even have the cabin crew worried when I fly!! Many years ago my husband was working in Athens and we flew to Athens. My husband informed the staff that I was a nervous (rather an understatement) flyer and they did look after me and reassure me as often as they could. But when it came to coming back and my husband was supposed to come back with me, but had to stay, it was the same cabin crew from my outward journey and they moved the guy that was supposed to be sitting next to me!! Good job mum and dad had my kids further back in the plane so they couldn't see me!! Neither of them have an issue with flying!! So since No: 1 son was 4 we have always cruised out of Southampton and back to Southampton. We have been very fortunate over the past few years to be able to do a cruise in the summer and do a cruise at Xmas to the caribbean. This summer though we have decided to not take the kids and use the money we would spend on their cabin to treat US!! I can reassure you it will probably be the first and the last time I get treated to such a luxury!! And I'm going to enjoy every minute of it!! Kids will be back with us for Xmas though. I guess they will be coming with us until they have their own loved ones they want to spend Xmas with. Yikes, that could be sometime as my daughter reckons she isn't leaving home ever and is going to end up a spinster because she thinks all men are untrustworthy!! And as for my son, well come on now, no girl is going to be good enough for him :-)

As for the difference between P & O and Princess, I'm afraid I can't comment, never having been on a princess cruise.

Elaine

I make everyones life a misery....Elaine

I am also 51 and available for adopting. I could be the son you never wanted.... I don't see the age thing as that big of a problem in our liberal-minded, anything-goes society. As for the quote above, I am well prepared for that situation. You haven't met my wife, yet (she is also available, yada yada yada...)

Just me,

Don

I am also 51 and available for adopting. I could be the son you never wanted.... I don't see the age thing as that big of a problem in our liberal-minded, anything-goes society. As for the quote above, I am well prepared for that situation. You haven't met my wife, yet (she is also available, yada yada yada...)

Just me,

Don

Don

I only make everyone else's life a misery when I am on an aeroplane. Well at least I think that's right!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

Elaine

<<<

Why on earth do you call Briattania passengers "steerage"?! Are they cattle? Is QM2 some kind of mass transit cargo ship? It just seems an unneccesarily insulting term.

It is always disheartening when irony is not recognized. Is the Atlantic Ocean insulted by being called a pond? Someone needs to point out, moreover, that 'steerage' has nothing to do with steers. For as most of us know, in the olden days passengers in steerage had to help steer the ship in return for room and board.

Okay,

My turn!

There are jackarses in every "class" and marvelous humble refined people also.

I agree absolutely. The quality of someone's character has nothing to do with their life circumstances---or that word we would like to pretend doesn't exist while our society (at least in the US) becomes increasingly status obsessed, and snotty about it---"class".

I know plenty of fine people from all walks of life. In fact, I have witnessed in my own environment the foolishness and pettiness that can evolve with too much money and unfettered grandiosity. Growing up, I have often avoided those in my own "milieu" because I preferred---to my family's chagrin--- the company of those who were more down to earth and real, actually much more fun also.

On the other hand, there are kind, generous people of character who hail from more priviledged backgrounds as well. It doesn't make sense to demonize or idealize any one group, as we are all just human beings.

I am so happy that you two will have a chance to spend some time alone together! Your kids are wonderful...but still a great chance to spend some time alone....Kenneth has been great during this time of "the foot"..sitting on my "a.." for the last 5 months...he has done shopping, washing, yard work etc!...guess I should keep him? (LOL) Let's keep checking in and se we are all doing....LuAnn

I am so happy that you two will have a chance to spend some time alone together! Your kids are wonderful...but still a great chance to spend some time alone....Kenneth has been great during this time of "the foot"..sitting on my "a.." for the last 5 months...he has done shopping, washing, yard work etc!...guess I should keep him? (LOL) Let's keep checking in and se we are all doing....LuAnn

Oh yes LuAnn, I'll e mail you!! Let's not lose contact.

Isn't it great to know that the guys can do what they have to if your disposed!! Yes, don't get rid of him yet!!!!!! :-)

Will send you an e mail tomorrow.

Elaine

Hi Karie

I would love to adopt you as my daughter, but I'm afraid that would be a physical impossibility!! I will be 45 this month!!!!!!!!

We have cruised now since my 19 year old son was about 4! I have flown in the past (even done concorde to NY and QE2 back when my daughter who is now 22 was 9 months old), but let me tell you, I make everyones life a misery and even have the cabin crew worried when I fly!! Many years ago my husband was working in Athens and we flew to Athens. My husband informed the staff that I was a nervous (rather an understatement) flyer and they did look after me and reassure me as often as they could. But when it came to coming back and my husband was supposed to come back with me, but had to stay, it was the same cabin crew from my outward journey and they moved the guy that was supposed to be sitting next to me!! Good job mum and dad had my kids further back in the plane so they couldn't see me!! Neither of them have an issue with flying!! So since No: 1 son was 4 we have always cruised out of Southampton and back to Southampton. We have been very fortunate over the past few years to be able to do a cruise in the summer and do a cruise at Xmas to the caribbean. This summer though we have decided to not take the kids and use the money we would spend on their cabin to treat US!! I can reassure you it will probably be the first and the last time I get treated to such a luxury!! And I'm going to enjoy every minute of it!! Kids will be back with us for Xmas though. I guess they will be coming with us until they have their own loved ones they want to spend Xmas with. Yikes, that could be sometime as my daughter reckons she isn't leaving home ever and is going to end up a spinster because she thinks all men are untrustworthy!! And as for my son, well come on now, no girl is going to be good enough for him :-)

As for the difference between P & O and Princess, I'm afraid I can't comment, never having been on a princess cruise.

Elaine

Elaine (Mom!)

You could be my step-mom! I was closer in age to one of my step-moms than she was to my Dad. We are still close. Okay, so you and Dad want to have some alone time. Where are you taking me for Christmas? (Remember, I'm adopted. It doesn't have to be physically possible. I figured you were probably younger than me! <G>)

Never done the Concorde- Watched it, listened to it, met one of the pilots- At the Oshkosh Air show (quite a few years ago) one of the BA pilots was a guest speaker. I think it was something around a thousand dollars to just fly around the pattern. 20 minutes to take off and land. Needless to say, I passed. I'm almost sorry I did- (Mind you, this was around 20 years ago0 a thousand dollars was not what your average 30 year old had lying fallow in their pocket!)

Flying- Scares the heck out of me too. And I'm a pilot and own my own plane! I've even skydived! (See!- that'll teach that nasty old plane! I'll just get out!) Try one of those courses that teach you relaxation techniques while sitting in a real plane. The flight attendents teach it over here. It's a group course, they run the engine up so you hear the sounds just like a real flight, they teach you some simple things about how a plane flies. It's a sort of desensitization thing. You may never love flying, but it might help to make it tolerable for you, The problem with irrational fears is you can't rationalize them. No matter how many people tell you you're safer in a plane than in your bathtub (hey, my bathtub hasn't crashed yet! ..YET) the whole point of phobias is they are not rational. You can't just "talk" yourself out of it! You do have my sympathy! OTOH look at all the cool cruises you get to do instead!)

Son and daughter: Let's see, they're both above the age of majority. Tell them they're welcome to come along with you... as long as they pay for themselves.

Re: own holiday traditions? Marc's parents finally had to buy a condo in Florida and leave before Thanksgiving (Novemeber here) and not come back til after Easter to get out of hosting the family. Everyone wanted to go to Mom's house it seems. Which meant, no matter how much other people helped, it's still work for her! Just getting the house ready is work! (Heck getting out of the jammies when you don't have to get up is work to me! <LOL>) So you may have to leave town and not leave a forwarding address to get the kids to start their own traditions.

As for daughter, so she doesn't trust men. That only cuts out half the population. Tell her you're liberal minded and to get our there and find someone to take care of her in her old age! <LOL> Then you'll have your lives back!

Aw shucks, Mom. Can I move in after she moves out?

Karie, who does not discriminate in mothers on the basis of age!

It is always disheartening when irony is not recognized. Is the Atlantic Ocean insulted by being called a pond? Someone needs to point out, moreover, that 'steerage' has nothing to do with steers. For as most of us know, in the olden days passengers in steerage had to help steer the ship in return for room and board.

Berry, you're confused. That wasn't steering they helped with. That was ROWING... unless you count the old tall shops., where they had to tack into the wind to make the boat heel over.

Yo ho heave ho!

Storke! Stroke! Stroke!

Karie,

Galley Slave

who is confused. When you said I was to work in the galley, I thought you meant we were going to do some COOKING!

Elaine (Mom!)

You could be my step-mom! I was closer in age to one of my step-moms than she was to my Dad. We are still close. Okay, so you and Dad want to have some alone time. Where are you taking me for Christmas? (Remember, I'm adopted. It doesn't have to be physically possible. I figured you were probably younger than me! <G>)

Never done the Concorde- Watched it, listened to it, met one of the pilots- At the Oshkosh Air show (quite a few years ago) one of the BA pilots was a guest speaker. I think it was something around a thousand dollars to just fly around the pattern. 20 minutes to take off and land. Needless to say, I passed. I'm almost sorry I did- (Mind you, this was around 20 years ago0 a thousand dollars was not what your average 30 year old had lying fallow in their pocket!)

Flying- Scares the heck out of me too. And I'm a pilot and own my own plane! I've even skydived! (See!- that'll teach that nasty old plane! I'll just get out!) Try one of those courses that teach you relaxation techniques while sitting in a real plane. The flight attendents teach it over here. It's a group course, they run the engine up so you hear the sounds just like a real flight, they teach you some simple things about how a plane flies. It's a sort of desensitization thing. You may never love flying, but it might help to make it tolerable for you, The problem with irrational fears is you can't rationalize them. No matter how many people tell you you're safer in a plane than in your bathtub (hey, my bathtub hasn't crashed yet! ..YET) the whole point of phobias is they are not rational. You can't just "talk" yourself out of it! You do have my sympathy! OTOH look at all the cool cruises you get to do instead!)

Son and daughter: Let's see, they're both above the age of majority. Tell them they're welcome to come along with you... as long as they pay for themselves.

Re: own holiday traditions? Marc's parents finally had to buy a condo in Florida and leave before Thanksgiving (Novemeber here) and not come back til after Easter to get out of hosting the family. Everyone wanted to go to Mom's house it seems. Which meant, no matter how much other people helped, it's still work for her! Just getting the house ready is work! (Heck getting out of the jammies when you don't have to get up is work to me! <LOL>) So you may have to leave town and not leave a forwarding address to get the kids to start their own traditions.

As for daughter, so she doesn't trust men. That only cuts out half the population. Tell her you're liberal minded and to get our there and find someone to take care of her in her old age! <LOL> Then you'll have your lives back!

Aw shucks, Mom. Can I move in after she moves out?

Karie, who does not discriminate in mothers on the basis of age!

Hi Karie

I have been on those fear of flying courses. Like you say with any irrational fear, nothing seems to work!! I know I've got as much chance of winning the lottery than crashing out of the sky!! My brain knows all that but it comes into its own the minute I step on a plane or anyone even suggests I fly somewhere. I don't know, I think cruising is a lovely way to travel anyway. You can wake up somewhere different every day and all your amenities stay the same. I think it's just great and sooooooooooo relaxing!!

I'd say you could move in, but I'm afraid Nat knows where her bread is well buttered and she isn't going anywhere in a hurry!!!!!! Where else can you go out to work and not pay a penny for your upkeep!! I'd charge her rent, but her daddy says no!!!!!!!!! God she knows how to wrap him around her little finger!!!!!!!!!!

Elaine

You can wake up somewhere different every day

Sounds a lot like drinking to me! <LOL>

God she knows how to wrap him around her little finger!!!!!!!!!! Elaine

She's daddy's little girl! Boy, she's going to be hell on her husband when she finds him! No one will be able to live up to Daddy!

Sorry those courses didn't work for you. That's a terrible feeling. Esepcially since some day you may have to fly.

Karie,

Who has a fear of spending money! I want to save it up for another cruise!

We will have to arrange a meeting on the sailaway out of Rio, and if we click, great. And if not we can spend the next twelve days avoiding each other. And QM2 is big enough for that!

Look, you will meet people on board who you like or who you loathe, as in real life. These boards just accelerate that. Don't be embarrassed about posting. I never thought I would have a pen-friend either!

Hello Again Bollinge,

Sorry not to have replied before now but I've been on 'Concussion Watch' for the last few days as my Son took a bad knock in a Rugby competition at the weekend. Anyway, he is fine, and here I am!

The idea of us actively avoiding each other for twelve days made me laugh! - Especially as if you went with the stateroom on deck 8 that you were enquiring about, we aren't that far away from each other! Could be embarrassing on the corridor or in the lift!:)

I was sort of hoping that 'cc posties' on the roll call would arrange a get together and it appears from reading some of the posts that 'the sailaway' is an occaision? (Remember we have never cruised before)

You will have to suggest where the best place is for us to meet and enjoy the first moments of our voyage - I'm starting to get very excited despite the itineray changes and the seemingly never ending poor service from Cunard's Onshore Operation. I just hope we all survive Rio!

Too late for me- already there!

You will probably arrange a meet at some point, often the first sea day- after everyone is settled, rested and unpacked.

Here is a suggestion I wish I had done.

Before the cruise, if anyone chooses to share their full names (last name too) or cabin numbers on these pages, do yourself a favor, and WRITE THEM DOWN! Put them with your ticket and passport, so you won't forget or misplace them. I cannot tell you how much I wanted to find a couple of the people who didn't make our little get-together (Still have the badges I made them and still owe someone an email to get his to him!) I wished I had had LAST NAMES! You could leave a message through the purser's desk. If they don't want to meet up, so be it, but not knowing cabin or last name, I had no way to find these people and may well have passed them in the hall or played trivia with them daily. I would never know! So make yourself a list of names and cabins. I even logged on, copied all the pages of our rollcall thread and tried to sort out any hints as to who the missing ones might be.

Oh, and if you meet, Don't be like idiot me! Had my camera with me, despite the huge group of cc'ers, I FORGOT TO TAKE A PICTURE OF ALL OF US! (So I guess we will all have to cruise together again!- Though I think I saw at least two cc'ers on the video- I still haven't watched it all, as my DVD isn't working for some reason.)

Karie,

Hello Karie,

Thankyou for all your tips! I have picked up quite a bit of information on the people posting that are on my cruise. I wasn't sure if people prefer to remain annonymous or show their faces but it seems some like to meet up- so I feel I have friends to meet onboard already.

I feel I know you quite well from your posts - I hope we might meet one day - your posts conjure up a very vivid and colourful picture of you!

Okay- two points here (or a point and a question)

Because most of us here expect the best of Cunard, we just naturaly assume everyone knows that she is, after all, a Queen! There is a certain standard. Things that might be ignored and go by the wayside on a Carnival or Royal Caribbean cruise, get noticed on a Cunard.

Poor service is NEWS on Cunard. Sadly, on some ships, it simply comes with the territory. It wouldn't bear mention if that were status quo.

Trust me when I say you will have a marvelous time on your cruise. 98% (or more) of the service people you encounter will treat you like royalty yourself. There will be smiles all around, the wait will likely be minimal, but serve to remind you that all good things are worth waiting for, and the wait will merely serve to increase the deliciousness of your anticipation- much like a teaser before a satisfying meal.

Enjoy your trip. tell us all about it when you get back, both the good and the bad. And take all you read here with a grain of salt. After all, these are only our opinions and,as always, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

The Question? What is the difference (historically or currently) between P&O and Princess Cruises? I have never been on either.

Karie,

Who thinks wistfully, every day about the "horrible" time she had on her QM2 cruise, and dearly wishes she were back aboard being "miserable" again! <G>

Its me again Karie,

I have written this post three times and lost my connection - so I'll be brief and hope I get it posted before the blumin things cuts out on me again!

Thankyou for your summary of why these boards seem to hold so much critisism about the Queen. What you say makes sense - the higher the expectation the harder the fall...

Fortunately my family could have fun in a telephone box so I am sure we will be thrilled with the Queen! - Even if the journey to get there has been less than thrilling!

On your P&O V PRINCESS Question I can't comment as I am a first time cruiser. My friends rave about P&O and I like the idea of a no flying holiday

which P&O provide with their Southampton departures.

When I get home from our cruise I will send a comprhensive critique of the Queen for all you Cool Cruisers - after I have booked our next cruise that is - Having read these boards I am absolutely certain that I am going to enjoy myself! I now know I was born to cruise and I can't believe its taken us so long to start!

Its me again Karie,

I have written this post three times and lost my connection - so I'll be brief and hope I get it posted before the blumin things cuts out on me again!

Thankyou for your summary of why these boards seem to hold so much critisism about the Queen. What you say makes sense - the higher the expectation the harder the fall...

First, let me sympathize with our "connection issue" I have invented new words when that has happened to me after a "well thought out, almost finished" post. (Well, at least in MY opinion!<G>) I get so discouraged!

2nd- Definitely, we hold the Queens to a higher standard (Hey! Arbiters of good taste and appropriateness- Do I capitalize queens when I am talking about the ships? Being American I flunked that part of etiquette school!) I hated my cruise and my time on her so much I just boooked another (Short) trip on her last night! <G>Yes, barring unforseen circumstances, I will be on the 4 day labor day trip to Newfoundland- though truthfully, it could be going to a garbage dump and I wouldn't care. Don't need to even get off the ship! Just play pub Trivia day and night! (And go to the library to sign Cruise Critics Log!) Oh yeah, and hit the Commodore club! And eat in the Britannia restaurant. And sit on my Balcony reading. And share fun times with other cruisers and CCers! and.. and... and...

Well, Lanson Lady, I too, hope to meet you one of these days! And so many others of our cruisers! But I have not tried this Lanson. Where is it from? I happen to love champagne. I buy cheap sparkly stuff- St Hillaire's Brut for about $8.99 a bottle for a relaxing sip in the jacuzzi or a "dinner champagne!" ( like table wine!) And save the Moet for nicer dinners! When I can enjoy it!

But one of these days, I'm going to splurge and go for the Dom!

Karie, Who would love a glass of bubbly now, but alas, I do have to work tomorrow!

Berry, you're confused. That wasn't steering they helped with. That was ROWING...

Yo ho heave ho!

Stroke! Stroke! Stroke!

Karie,

Galley Slave

Karie, besides you being a very enthusiastic gallery hand, the world needs to know that the JackatSea blog has made special mention of the assistance you offered to Jack and his wife when they arrived in Los Angeles on the QM2. I hope others will join me in expressing appreciation for the assistance you offered.

QUOTE:

Once again I'd like to say thank you to all of the American people who emailed with advice and in most cases provided their own telephone numbers for us to call if we had hit any real problems. In particular I'd like to say thanks to "travel-to-go" (online persona name for Karie from the Cruise Critics Discussion Board) who wrote a fantastic email, which included useful telephone numbers along with practical advice all delivered with a sense of humour (wink). Cheers, I definitely owe you a beer or two {_}] {_}] there's two virtual beers to start with LOL

UNQUOTE

Chris

Well, Lanson Lady, I too, hope to meet you one of these days! And so many others of our cruisers! But I have not tried this Lanson. Where is it from? I happen to love champagne. I buy cheap sparkly stuff- St Hillaire's Brut for about $8.99 a bottle for a relaxing sip in the jacuzzi or a "dinner champagne!" ( like table wine!) And save the Moet for nicer dinners! When I can enjoy it!

But one of these days, I'm going to splurge and go for the Dom!

Karie, Who would love a glass of bubbly now, but alas, I do have to work

Tomorrow!

Hello Again Karie,

I like 'cheap and cheerful' bubbly too! - especially in the jacuzzi!

For a 'I need PAMPERING night' I buy cheaper Cava (Spanish Champange) and then I don't feel guilty about not sharing it with the rest of my clan or for being too extravegant! I buy whatever is on offer at our supermarket - by the case - we get some good deals in the UK and its very palatable!

Lanson is a nice French Champange, not the best I've tasted but very nice. Its a tad cheaper than Moet, but I sometimes buy it by the case too and usually get a good discount on it. If we ever find ourselves on the same cruise I'll make sure I pack a bottle for you to sample!

I love most champange and I was looking forward to a flute or two in the Veuve Clicquot Champagne Bar on the QM2. But I've read on these pages somewhere that the champagne bar isn't there anymore? I believe its a cocktail bar now? Ah well, I'm partial to a cocktail too - so theres not too much hardship there!!!!!! - Especially a cocktail with Champagne in!!!!!

Sounds like you are a Quiz enthusiast. My Husband is a Pub Quiz Maniac! I am dreadful at them - So I never get picked for a Team and I'm usually the one sorting out the beer and food... I read on these boards that the Golden Lion does a daily quiz? Is it any good?

I'm pleased to hear you have another cruise booked - its lovely when you have something booked to look forward to isn't it. Not long for us now...

Lanson Lady - who just might have a glass of bubbly now!

I love most champange and I was looking forward to a flute or two in the Veuve Clicquot Champagne Bar on the QM2. But I've read on these pages somewhere that the champagne bar isn't there anymore? I believe its a cocktail bar now?

There were some rumors about the closing of the Veuve Clicquot Bar before the refit, but fortunately it was left there. They offer a nice selection of various Veuve Clicqout types and bottles sizes. You can also order so called luxurious canapes and caviar ($50), yet the caviar was not very good. It is a nice place for before dinner champagne.

I didn't have time to read all seven pages, so people may have come to a different conclusion in the intervening pages, however...

My documentation for my Feb. 28 departure from LA said to be at the port for a 3:30 embarkation. Our limo arrived for a (usually) 30-45 min trip to the port at 1:00 pm, and arrived probably sometime around 2:30- 2:45 due to the traffic of people trying to view the ship.

Once we got through the traffic, we were dropped off right in front of the terminal. A porter took our luggage. We had a line, but it was constantly moving and very short. I would say we were on board by 3:30. The boat drill was held right away, and then we departed. I had friends waiting on the dock to see us off, and they didn't comment that we left late.

I never heard anything about overbooking.

It was a wonderful trip, which I will review as soon as I get through some of the work on my desk. :)

Just disembarked the QM2 in Los Angeles after a wonderful 11-day voyage to Hawaii. The ship left LA on February 25th -- I arrived at the terminal at 1130a, although I was "scheduled" to check-in at 130p. Cunard staggers check-in times to avoid long lines and crowds. I feel guilty about violating the rules, but since I was at the terminal early (to take advantage of a free ride from a friend from LAX to San Pedro), I was able to check-in and board at Noon. The ship originally was scheduled to sail at 500p, but the departure time was moved to 400p -- all passengers were notified by letter a week ahead of time. Everyone seemed to make it on board without delay, except for a few late stragglers. Our departure was delayed 45 mintues to allow the Sapphire Princess to sail out first. The QM2's exact time of departure was 4:46 p.m.

I can't say whether or not the allegations in some of the previous posts are true or not. All I know is that I had a wonderful experience. The crew and staff were excellent and very accommodating. Moreover, they were very patient with a very demanding audience. In fact, my only complaint about the voyage was the constant complaining from the passengers about the most insane and inane issues. I understand that everyone paid a premium to sail on the QM2 and all of her passengers should expect to receive top notch service. I was amazed at how many people complained about things that were announced well ahead of time or that were public knowledge. For example, even though the trip was to Hawaii, the ship is registered in Great Britian and technically entered Mexico (for a service law to comply with U.S. maritime law.) We were informed often and in advance that upon our return to LA all passengers had to go through immigration inspection in the Queen's Room in order to disembark. Nevertheless, there were many people complaining loudly that they were not informed of this requirement -- wrong!!!!!!! They just didn't take the time to read the disembarkation information that was distributed to each cabin.

My hat goes off to the QM2's company for true White Star service.

I really don't know where you got your information, but although the QM2 was about 40 minutes late, it was because some passengers on a Cunard transfer were held up somewhere. So it was not delayed for hours. I know, because I was there.

As for boarding, we arrived just before noon and were in our room at 12:20pm. Didn't hear any complaints about boarding.

Our service in Britannia was excellent--in fact I had reservations at Lotus, the Carvery, Chefs Galley and Todd English. I cancelled all but Todd English because we had a great table and teriffic service.

Where did you get your information? Were you there? Some 400 crew members left the ship in Honolulu because their contracts were up and 400 new crew boarded. This is quite common and nothing to get upset about.

The only thing I personally felt could use imrovement was counter space in our cabin. Just a desk with a TV (a wall mount would be far better) on the right side of it and a small writing area. Not much room to set up a bar and stack pruchases on. I spent a lot in the book store and logo shop but had little space to stroe it. Made drinks on the desk and kept the ice bucket of the floor. The bed was fantastic--slept very well.

Archived